The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hearing more and more about these unauthorized republican drop boxes. I thought you said only democrats tamper with the voting process?
    The GOP'ers are just playing by the same rules... Dems go door-to-door "helping" (mainly old) folks fill out their ballots so they can "harvest" them. If they are not home they may even take their ballot out of their mailbox to make sure their vote will "count". GOP'ers just make it convenient for folks to turn in their ballots by providing collection boxes at churches, gun clubs, and other places they like to go. What is the difference between the Dems collecting them by ripping ballots out of people's hands and GOP'ers giving folks a convenient place to drop them off? We know that these mail-in ballots are safe since they are double sealed and stuff.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      The GOP'ers are just playing by the same rules... Dems go door-to-door "helping" (mainly old) folks fill out their ballots so they can "harvest" them. If they are not home they may even take their ballot out of their mailbox to make sure their vote will "count". GOP'ers just make it convenient for folks to turn in their ballots by providing collection boxes at churches, gun clubs, and other places they like to go. What is the difference between the Dems collecting them by ripping ballots out of people's hands and GOP'ers giving folks a convenient place to drop them off? We know that these mail-in ballots are safe since they are double sealed and stuff.
      That's what I figured. No real difference.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I watched more of these exchanges. She refused to comment on the basis that she didn't want to get drawn into a political debate - which seems entirely prudent to me. She also offered this:
        Democrat Senator Mazie Hirono is slammed for asking Judge Barrett if she has ever sexually assaulted someone
        • Amy Coney Barrett, 48, on Tuesday faced her second day of questioning
        • Barrett was asked whether as an adult she had ever sexually assaulted anyone
        • Senator Mazie Hirono said that she asked the same question of all nominees
        • Question was seen as a 'perjury trap': allowing prosecution if later proved a lie

[...]
        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-someone.html

And ACB fell right into the 'perjury trap'...

She then asked: 'Since you became a legal adult, have you ever made unwanted requests for sexual favors, or committed any physical or verbal harassment or assault of a sexual nature?'

Barrett replied: 'No, Senator Hirono.'
        She should have answered, "Senator, I have no recollection of any of that. And, yes, I like beer!"

Queue the "witness"!

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          No, fortunately I actually don't believe she'd do that. But Trump does, which in a way is funny. He's clearly trying to set the stage where any "close" election means "his" judges get to decide it for him.

What bothers me more is how hard the Republicans almost everywhere are trying everything to make it harder to vote -- for example only one single dropoff location per county in Texas, including counties where millions live and where cities like Houston and Dallas are (heaven forbid places where lots of democrats might live). The blatant suppress the vote effort has gone to absurd lengths this time. What they probably fail to realize is it's also futile. Or maybe they do and this is just desperate last ditch effort. People in Georgia spent up to 11 hours in line to vote yesterday. Normal people who are independent and moderate and who are not partisan hacks are sick of the shenanigans.
          Have you noticed that "his judges" don't play along with his shenanigans?

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
            That's pretty Orwellian.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
              I've been pleasantly surprised by Gorsuch and Kavanaugh... so far. However, Alito and Clarence Thomas still fucking suuuuuuuuuckkk...

It's not 'his judges' that are ruining America-- it's his AG- who really does act like HIS AG. Trump must lose.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                I've been pleasantly surprised by Gorsuch and Kavanaugh... so far. However, Alito and Clarence Thomas still fucking suuuuuuuuuckkk...

It's not 'his judges' that are ruining America-- it's his AG- who really does act like HIS AG. Trump must lose.
                For all the hand wringing about Gors-Kav (anyone?), they have been closer to John Roberts than Scalia. Now Clarence Thomas on the other hand....

Comment

• "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• As the father of three daughters, I’ll admit that I’m moved by the fact that a (relatively) young mother is being confirmed to the scotus. I don’t like Kamala Harris very much (her politics, not her personally), but I find it inspiring that she could be the VP and also inspire more women.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      As the father of three daughters, I’ll admit that I’m moved by the fact that a (relatively) young mother is being confirmed to the scotus. I don’t like Kamala Harris very much (her politics, not her personally), but I find it inspiring that she could be the VP and also inspire more women.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Earlier today I was thinking to myself how crazy it is that Kamala is going to be in the history books as the first woman VP, the first Black VP, and obviously the first Black woman VP. As you said - while I don't align with her politics, how awesome is that?

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                        Isn't that pretty much what I said? I was poking fun at Trump believing that is how it will work. No matter though. Trump and his party are about to be shown the door

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          Earlier today I was thinking to myself how crazy it is that Kamala is going to be in the history books as the first woman VP President, and obviously the first Black woman VP President. As you said - while I don't align with her politics, how awesome is that?
                          FIFY

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            FIFY
                            So true - she could very easily be both.

Comment

• My creed is simple. I believe the Constitution must be interpreted with the original public meaning that it had at the time it was ratified.

Thus I’m certain that a small group of men who lived hundreds of years ago who never heard of mouthwash or age of consent laws figured out everything we need to know for the next few hundred years. That many of the Founders weren’t able to figure out that slavery was bad and women voting was good is not an indictment of their limitations, but a tribute to their ability to resist the vicious pull of political correctness and/or human decency.
                              The important thing here is that Originalism isn’t anything new. It’s not anything old, either. It’s just whatever it needs to be at any time in order to make sure rich white dudes never want for power in America.
                              https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...nt/3649904001/

Comment

• Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
                                Really depressing to see all the horrible takes like this regarding originalism.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X