The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    No, fortunately I actually don't believe she'd do that. But Trump does, which in a way is funny. He's clearly trying to set the stage where any "close" election means "his" judges get to decide it for him.

What bothers me more is how hard the Republicans are trying everything to make it harder to vote -- for example only one single dropoff location per county in Texas, include counties where cities like Houston and Dallas are (heaven forbid places where lots of democrats might live) is absurd. What they fail to realize is it's also futile. People in Georgia spent up to 11 hours in line to vote yesterday. Normal people who are independent and moderate and who are not partisan hacks are sick of the shenanigans.
    And there was no lines today. Yesterday was the first day that early voting was open. They had three more weeks to vote. The lines show that people are eager to vote, but I don't see how it is evidence of anything "nefarious" going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
      And there was no lines today. Yesterday was the first day that early voting was open. They had three more weeks to vote. The lines show that people are eager to vote, but I don't see how it is evidence of anything "nefarious" going on.
      That's not what I meant by that. I meant that people are pissed off enough to stand in line that long which is illustrative of why the dirty tricks this time will fail.

And you have to admit one dropoff location per county in Texas is a dirty trick to make it harder for people living in urban centers to vote.

My main point is that people this time seem to be more motivated to jump over the hurdles, and whatever the moron Mike Lee might think, that is actually a good thing.
      Last edited by BlueK; 10-13-2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

That's not what I meant by that. I meant that people are pissed off enough to stand in line that long which is illustrative of why the dirty tricks this time will fail.

And you have to admit one dropoff location per county in Texas is a dirty trick to make it harder for people living in urban centers to vote. There is no logical reason other than that. Security? Bullshit.
        I agree that the Texas story is bad. No shenanigans going on in Georgia yet, though, from what I can tell. Can't blame election officials there for not opening up dozens of early polling locations that will likely sit empty 95% of the time just to avoid some bad pictures on opening day.

Luckily it sounds like Utah is doing a good job. They are apparently increasing the number of ballot collection boxes this year.

Comment

I agree that the Texas story is bad. No shenanigans going on in Georgia yet, though, from what I can tell. Can't blame election officials there for not opening up dozens of early polling locations that will likely sit empty 95% of the time just to avoid some bad pictures on opening day.

Luckily it sounds like Utah is doing a good job. They are apparently increasing the number of ballot collection boxes this year.
          I voted today on the first day it was open to do in person in Texas. I went during my lunch and the lines weren't too bad. Where my brother lives right in Dallas the lines were much longer apparently. My polling place was a small fire station walking distance from my house in Collin County which is in the suburbs and pretty affluent. My suburban neighborhood provides a stark contradiction to Trump's 1950s vision of what suburbs are. It's only around 50% Caucasian. I love living in Texas.
          Last edited by BlueK; 10-13-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Booker was probably the worst from a fairness standpoint, but that's mostly because he is one of the few Democrats on the committee that can put together a coherent question (as nefarious as they were). Hirona is a F#$*ing idiot. I have no idea how she managed to get elected. She started by asking whether Barrett had ever sexually assaulted someone. Then asked a bunch of semi-coherent questions designed to shame the judge for promising to follow the law rather than decide cases based on the "real world consequences" they would have. Then went on a 20+ minute, incoherent diatribe that sounded like she was just reading, verbatim, a bunch of tweets from far left twitter ... including an accusation that Barrett must hate all LGBT people because she had earlier used the phrase "sexual preference," which is apparently offensive now. Booker picked up on the stupid "sexual preference" thing too.
            Lol
            https://twitter.com/SteveKrak/status...719216128?s=19

Comment

• That's insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                I've only seen one Cory Booker clip and it featured ACB dodging a question about whether every president should commit to a peaceful transfer of power. God forbid a SCOTUS nominee go on the record on a potentially controversial matter like that.
                Are you new to this? Every scotus nominee dodges questions if they pertain to future cases or hypotheticals or cases they didn’t judge. It’s also a bit hypocritical of Booker to ask that question given his support of the Russia probe and other backhanded ways to discredit the 2016 election.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I voted today on the first day it was open to do in person in Texas. I went during my lunch and the lines weren't too bad. Where my brother lives right in Dallas the lines were much longer apparently. My polling place was a small fire station walking distance from my house in Collin County which is in the suburbs and pretty affluent. My suburban neighborhood provides a stark contradiction to Trump's 1950s vision of what suburbs are. It's only around 50% Caucasian. I love living in Texas.
                  I love living in Texas (DFW) too!

I am waiting until the early, bust-the-door-down voting crowd has died off. Our polling place is a nice little church that we can walk to just down the street.

Collin county is Drumpf country compared to where we live, Dallas County. He won there by over 50%. In Dallas County Hillary got over 60%. These folks should have voted for Johnson but they didn't know any better.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    Are you new to this? Every scotus nominee dodges questions if they pertain to future cases or hypotheticals or cases they didn’t judge. It’s also a bit hypocritical of Booker to ask that question given his support of the Russia probe and other backhanded ways to discredit the 2016 election.
                    And then there was Ted Cruz... He spent most of his time trying to lecture ACB on religious freedom, free speech, the 2nd amendment, and other "constitutional" BS.

The bill of rights is outdated, needs to be torn up, and replaced. Ask any of our Dem friends here. For example, the 2nd amendment is clearly talking about muskets not AR-15s you dummies!

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      And then there was Ted Cruz... He spent most of his time trying to lecture ACB on religious freedom, free speech, the 2nd amendment, and other "constitutional" BS.

The bill of rights is outdated, needs to be torn up, and replaced. Ask any of our Dem friends here. For example, the 2nd amendment is clearly talking about muskets not AR-15s you dummies!

Ted Cruz was just trying to sell his book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Be fair, now. He also asked if her kids took piano lessons.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                          I've only seen one Cory Booker clip and it featured ACB dodging a question about whether every president should commit to a peaceful transfer of power. God forbid a SCOTUS nominee go on the record on a potentially controversial matter like that.

I wish I could say it was only a stunt on Booker's part (and perhaps to some extent it was) but nobody can say that the Republican party isn't going way out of its way to make us think that all options are on the table if the election produces a result they don't like.
                          I watched more of these exchanges. She refused to comment on the basis that she didn't want to get drawn into a political debate - which seems entirely prudent to me. She also offered this:

“I certainly hope that all members of the committee have more confidence in my integrity than to think that I would allow myself to be used as a pawn to decide this election for the American people,” Barrett said.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

And you have to admit one dropoff location per county in Texas is a dirty trick to make it harder for people living in urban centers to vote.

My main point is that people this time seem to be more motivated to jump over the hurdles, and whatever the moron Mike Lee might think, that is actually a good thing.
                            The ballot drop off issue in Texas is bad and that decision was dumb. It was Abbott being Abbott.

The early voting location i went to yesterday wasn’t busy. I waited three minutes in line and they had plenty of open voting machines. One great thing in Harris county is that there are a lot of open early voting locations. The only time i waited in line to vote was when I waited three hours to vote against Ted Cruz in the runoff election. Unfortunately he won.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              The ballot drop off issue in Texas is bad and that decision was dumb. It was Abbott being Abbott.

The early voting location i went to yesterday wasn’t busy. I waited three minutes in line and they had plenty of open voting machines. One great thing in Harris county is that there are a lot of open early voting locations. The only time i waited in line to vote was when I waited three hours to vote against Ted Cruz in the runoff election. Unfortunately he won.

Yes, every church should have a ballot drop off box... in California those godless heathens are against that.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, every church should have a ballot drop off box... in California those godless heathens are against that.
                                Hearing more and more about these unauthorized republican drop boxes. I thought you said only democrats tamper with the voting process?
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X