On abortion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69726

    #256
    Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Here's a different reading of the NY law:



    I am missing the provision of 'slaughtering that child on its way out of the birth canal'...
    Does that link really refute the claims being made? If you read to the end, it says that "health of the mother" is an acceptable reason all the way up to birth, but I seem to recall that the "mental well-being" of the mother was one of the claimed exceptions, which of course could mean just about anything. Am I missing something?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12382

      #257
      Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      if true evil exists in this world, it exists in cases of discretionary abortion for convenience and unwanted pregnancy. sickening.
      I understand your sentiment but it’s a bit much.

      Comment

      • Northwestcoug
        Cocked and Loaded
        • May 2011
        • 18029

        #258
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Does that link really refute the claims being made? If you read to the end, it says that "health of the mother" is an acceptable reason all the way up to birth, but I seem to recall that the "mental well-being" of the mother was one of the claimed exceptions, which of course could mean just about anything. Am I missing something?
        I'm not sure about the specifics. I was mostly reacting against GM's inflammatory language. No one is going to 'slaughter' a baby right before birth because of mental health issues.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

        Comment

        • MartyFunkhouser
          Disciple of RNGesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 18758

          #259
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Does that link really refute the claims being made? If you read to the end, it says that "health of the mother" is an acceptable reason all the way up to birth, but I seem to recall that the "mental well-being" of the mother was one of the claimed exceptions, which of course could mean just about anything. Am I missing something?
          How about we read the text of the law. Yes, health of the mother could be interpreted broadly, but it is still a limitation and it is inconsistent with the GM's over the top claims and inconsistent with any claims that there is abortion without limitation to term. Mental well being is not an exception it is "life or health."

          § 2599-aa. Abortion. 1. A health care practitioner licensed, certified, or authorized under title eight of the education law, acting within his or her lawful scope of practice, may perform an abortion when, according to the practitioner's reasonable and good faith professional judgment based on the facts of the patient's case: the patient is within twenty-four weeks from the commencement of pregnancy, or there is an absence of fetal viability, or the abortion is necessary to protect the patient's life or health.
          Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 05-17-2019, 11:42 AM.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

          Comment

          • MartyFunkhouser
            Disciple of RNGesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 18758

            #260
            Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            I'm not sure about the specifics. I was mostly reacting against GM's inflammatory language. No one is going to 'slaughter' a baby right before birth because of mental health issues.
            For as much as the Dude complains about hyperbole and lack of civility, I am surprised he just let that one slide.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69726

              #261
              Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              How about we read the text of the law. Yes, health of the mother could be interpreted broadly, but it is still a limitation and it is inconsistent with the GM's over the top claims and inconsistent with any claims that there is abortion without limitation to term. Mental well being is not an exception it is "life or health."
              Funk, you should read the article again.

              Another Supreme Court decision, Doe v. Bolton, says "health" refers to "all factors — physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the woman's age — relevant to the well-being of the patient" when it comes to an abortion.
              This has been confirmed by advocates of the new law.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69726

                #262
                Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                For as much as the Dude complains about hyperbole and lack of civility, I am surprised he just let that one slide.
                Ha. So now I am a hypocrite if I don't respond to each and every post? That's funny.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69726

                  #263
                  Missouri just banned abortions after 8 weeks.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • MartyFunkhouser
                    Disciple of RNGesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18758

                    #264
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Funk, you should read the article again.



                    This has been confirmed by advocates of the new law.
                    It is a factor that is considered in assessing "health." It is just a factor that the medical provider uses in making his or her assessment of the mother's health. What is inaccurate to say is that it is abortion on demand throughout pregnancy. Life and health are the factors that much be assessed by the medical provider and that providers judgment must come to a determination that life or health is in danger.

                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Ha. So now I am a hypocrite if I don't respond to each and every post? That's funny.
                    I didn't call you a hypocrite, I said I was surprised you let such inflammatory and inaccurate language in this discussion slide.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #265
                      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Not sure if this is typical sarcastic OG or not...
                      Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      I understand your sentiment but it’s a bit much.
                      sincere take bros
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18029

                        #266
                        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        sincere take bros
                        I think I get where you're coming from, but how many abortions are not 'discretionary', 'convenience', or for 'unwanted pregnancy'? You might want hone down your argument to something more specific.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69726

                          #267
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I think I get where you're coming from, but how many abortions are not 'discretionary', 'convenience', or for 'unwanted pregnancy'? You might want hone down your argument to something more specific.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Northwestcoug
                            Cocked and Loaded
                            • May 2011
                            • 18029

                            #268
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            You're making my point for me (I think). I assumed that OG is talking against abortion as a primary birth control strategy, or something like that. Maybe he isn't.

                            Just FTR, I believe a lot of those non-rape/incest reasons are completely valid for the women who make them.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

                            Comment

                            • old_gregg
                              scaly man fish
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 16915

                              #269
                              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              You're making my point for me (I think). I assumed that OG is talking against abortion as a primary birth control strategy, or something like that. Maybe he isn't.

                              Just FTR, I believe a lot of those non-rape/incest reasons are completely valid for the women who make them.
                              i’m saying that abortion for any of the reasons on lines 1-6 of that chart are incomprehensibly evil
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                              Comment

                              • Northwestcoug
                                Cocked and Loaded
                                • May 2011
                                • 18029

                                #270
                                Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                i’m saying that abortion for any of the reasons on lines 1-6 of that chart are incomprehensibly evil
                                Got it.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

                                Comment

                                Working...