Ukraine - somebody explain to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Weird that one would even want to survive a major attack, if one were living anywhere near a primary target. Between Livermore Labs, Sandia, and Silicon Valley, I read that this would be the number one civilian target if things went nuclear. Rather than hope to emerge weeks later into a desolate wasteland, I think I'd prefer to settle back into a recliner in my backyard, sipping a cool beverage, and enjoy, however briefly, the fireball.

Or perhaps, this (that's me with another board member):

Yeah, but as a 12-14 year-old, it seemed like a great adventure. We'd hunker down for a couple of weeks and emerge and build a new society, not realizing that the half-life for most of the fallout on the ground was likely somewhere upwards of 1000 years. Surviving COVID (if we do) is much less romantic.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Yeah, but as a 12-14 year-old, it seemed like a great adventure. We'd hunker down for a couple of weeks and emerge and build a new society, not realizing that the half-life for most of the fallout on the ground was likely somewhere upwards of 1000 years. Surviving COVID (if we do) is much less romantic.
      I know, right? I imagined it would be pretty exciting and that we'd kick those Russkie asses. Glad I missed out.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

You want old? I'll give you old... I was fascinated, afraid, and weirdly excited throughout the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was only 10 but was really into the possibility of WWIII, and sent away for plans to build a fallout shelter for our backyard. My dad was a general contractor and he humored me by going over the plans with me, but we never followed through. I read Alas, Babylon, a great book about nuclear war, and loved Fail Safe and Dr. Strangelove (both of which were released a year or so after the Crisis. I was convinced we were headed toward a thermonuclear war (as were several members of JFK's cabinet). Fortunately, Mutual Assured Destruction kept us safe, and I think it always will, but I'm not discounting the risk of a terrorist organization with a single bomb.
        It sounds like that movie "Blast from the Past".

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

It sounds like that movie "Blast from the Past".

I liked that movie for what might have been.

Comment

• You all need to chill out... You are all sounding like Joe Biden:

Knock it off with all this talk of nuclear war and sh*t.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Joe pushing for a war to distract from all the other sh*t he is doing...

BREAKING: Biden To Deploy U.S. Soldiers To Eastern Europe As Tensions With Russia Escalate

Democrat President Joe Biden put the U.S. one step closer to having a potential military conflict with Russia on Friday when he told reporters that he is moving U.S. soldiers to Eastern Europe.

“I’ll be moving troops to Eastern Europe in the NATO countries in the near term,” Biden told reporters. [...]
              https://www.dailywire.com/news/break...ussia-escalate

Maybe Joe can appoint Hunter the secretary of whore war... He is an expert of Ukraine (and Russia), right?
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Joe pushing for a war to distract from all the other sh*t he is doing...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/break...ussia-escalate

Maybe Joe can appoint Hunter the secretary of whore war... He is an expert of Ukraine (and Russia), right?
                Did you come up with that? That's kind of funny. Even though you've got Hunter on the brain.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Ted, even you do can do better than reposting pizza-gater/White nationalist Jack Posobiec.

He’s just awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post

I think he is that "dumb." He comes from a cold war past when the Soviet Union exerted strong influence over multiple countries where the people weren't fond of Russia. He wants Ukraine to go back to having an authoritarian government that leans toward Russia.The management of it would be through a puppet government. In his way of thinking, a democratic Ukraine that aligns with the west is a horrific nightmare probably worth starting a war over.
                    Yeah, that’s what he had going to on before his puppet was ousted by the Ukrainian people.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      Ted, even you do can do better than reposting pizza-gater/White nationalist Jack Posobiec.

He’s just awful.
                      that’s the thing. He’s posted posobiec before. Maybe Ted can’t find anyone better than he to highlight whatever fringe thing he’s trying to sell here.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        Ted, even you do can do better than reposting pizza-gater/White nationalist Jack Posobiec.

He’s just awful.
                        He is referencing a CNN report by Jake TCrapper... Yeah, CNN is just awful.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

He is referencing a CNN report by Jake TCrapper... Yeah, CNN is just awful.
                          holy crap that is hilarious
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Russia starts to pull some troops out. But don't worry. It doesn't mean anything, they are still doing their drills!

I think Putin is looking for the off ramp. Maybe he finally found it. We'll see.

I heard something the other day that made a lot of sense. In 2014 when Russia quietly moved into Crimea and then announced it was now part of Russia, the US knew all along what they were doing but for whatever reasons chose to keep their intelligence secret. It played into Putin's hands. But this time the US instead chose to continually release classified info about Russian activity, much of which the Russians probably didn't know we had, forcing them to keep denying they were about to invade.

Putin is all about wanting to look scary and powerful but also saving face. Pretty sure he miscalculated here. His last desire would have been for more NATO troops in Eastern Europe, more weapons for Ukraine and for NATO to unite. He painted himself into a corner where he either gets a disastrous war for himself or looks like blinked.
                            Last edited by BlueK; 02-15-2022, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              Russia starts to pull some troops out. But don't worry. It doesn't mean anything, they are still doing their drills!

I think Putin is looking for the off ramp. Maybe he finally found it. We'll see.

I heard something the other day that made a lot of sense. In 2014 when Russia quietly moved into Crimea and then announced it was now part of Russia, the US knew all along what they were doing but for whatever reasons chose to keep their intelligence secret. It played into Putin's hands. But this time the US instead chose to continually release classified info about Russian activity, much of which the Russians probably didn't know we had, forcing them to keep denying they were about to invade.

Putin is all about wanting to look scary and powerful but also saving face. Pretty sure he miscalculated here. His last desire would have been for more NATO troops in Eastern Europe, more weapons for Ukraine and for NATO to unite. He painted himself into a corner where he either gets a disastrous war for himself or looks like blinked.
                              This last part is apparent. Not sure if we had the inside scoop on Crimea or not. If so, shame on us for just letting it happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

This last part is apparent. Not sure if we had the inside scoop on Crimea or not. If so, shame on us for just letting it happen.
                                I heard the Crimea part from an interview with the former US ambassador to Russia. I hadn't heard that before. Obama flubbed that one.

Clearly Putin's idea with the troops on the border was to scare Ukraine to where they decide not to fight, get NATO to argue amongst themselves and let Russia walk in and take some territory. Looks like Putin failed but you will hear a different story on Fox probably.
                                Last edited by BlueK; 02-15-2022, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X