No announcement yet.

Ukraine - somebody explain to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The build up of Russian military reminds me of when we were massing to invade Iraq. War is coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      The build up of Russian military reminds me of when we were massing to invade Iraq. War is coming.
      The market sure thinks this is the case
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Ukraine is probably completely screwed as a country in its current form. Russia can easily carve away the eastern 3rd of the country. And probably with a fair amount of local support.

I don't want the US or Nato involved in this other than arms sales and consultation. Under no circumstances should US troops be on the ground. But given Biden's history of war mongering and his poor numbers, the US probably gets dragged in at least partly.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
          Ukraine is probably completely screwed as a country in its current form. Russia can easily carve away the eastern 3rd of the country. And probably with a fair amount of local support.

I don't want the US or Nato involved in this other than arms sales and consultation. Under no circumstances should US troops be on the ground. But given Biden's history of war mongering and his poor numbers, the US probably gets dragged in at least partly.
          I agree with no troops the the ground. But at least this president won't be actively trying to help Russia by spilling intelligence to Putin as the previous one would have done.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
            Ukraine is probably completely screwed as a country in its current form. Russia can easily carve away the eastern 3rd of the country. And probably with a fair amount of local support.

And real-time Intel.

I just don't think Putin is satisfied with taking the Eastern third of Ukraine. He wants it all.

Comment

And real-time Intel.

I just don't think Putin is satisfied with taking the Eastern third of Ukraine. He wants it all.
              His problem is that the western half of the country are Ukrainian nationalists and hate Russia. It would be unmanageable for him. I don't think he would be that dumb.

Comment

• I am getting flashbacks to a decade plus of existential nuclear dread as a kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  I am getting flashbacks to a decade plus of existential nuclear dread as a kid.
                  Ha! I vividly recall my 6th grade teacher spending a few hours teaching us about soviet missiles, mutually assured destruction, etc. Rocked my world.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Ha! I vividly recall my 6th grade teacher spending a few hours teaching us about soviet missiles, mutually assured destruction, etc. Rocked my world.
                    Must have had that same teacher in 5th grade. Lots of those slide shows about Bad Russia and communism. He was correct.

I'm still loling about the reference above to the war-mongerer Biden.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

I'm still loling about the reference above to the war-mongerer Biden.
                      It's certainly true, his decision to withdraw from Afghanistan notwithstanding.

I'll admit the term is "freshman in college" level of maturity. But presidents since 2000 have been all to eager for active military conflict.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I remember some girl in my 6th grade class asking the teacher why the Russians hate us and want to kill us. His response was that there was probably a 6th grader in Russia asking her teacher why the United States hates Russia and wants to kill them.

In other words, he never answered the question.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I remember some girl in my 6th grade class asking the teacher why the Russians hate us and want to kill us. His response was that there was probably a 6th grader in Russia asking her teacher why the United States hates Russia and wants to kill them.

In other words, he never answered the question.
                          Sounds like a lyric in a dumb Sting song.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I vaguely remember having nuclear bomb drills when I was in 1st grade. I'm sure it created more anxiety than it was worth. Why were we doing drills in a farming community in Utah?

Comment

• I don't remember any drills or talk in school about nukes.

Comment

I don't remember any drills or talk in school about nukes.
                                They say memories are the first to go.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X