Self-Driving Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post

For it to truly work, doesn't it almost require that no manually driven cars are on the road? I remember a friend predicting that there will come a generation where they say "can you believe people used to drive their own cars? They just let 50k people die every year because that's all they knew."
    Yeah, that is why some of these projections are so ridiculous. I don't think we will ever get to where there are zero manually driven cars. Or at least the ability to switch over to manual driving. There are just far too many circumstances where a vehicles needs to be maneuvered in a way that could only be done manually. Let's start with farm vehicles for starters. It is one thing to navigate around a big city. Another thing entirely to go on dirt roads or around fields. What about towing a boat? Backing the boat into your garage? Parking in a non-marked spot in a parking lot out of necessity. Backing up to a trash bin. The list is endless.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Yeah, that is why some of these projections are so ridiculous. I don't think we will ever get to where there are zero manually driven cars. Or at least the ability to switch over to manual driving. There are just far too many circumstances where a vehicles needs to be maneuvered in a way that could only be done manually. Let's start with farm vehicles for starters. It is one thing to navigate around a big city. Another thing entirely to go on dirt roads or around fields. What about towing a boat? Backing the boat into your garage? Parking in a non-marked spot in a parking lot out of necessity. Backing up to a trash bin. The list is endless.
      There will be no boats in the new society.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• If this works out, that's another reason for me to move to the UK in retirement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67825617

Driverless cars could be on some UK roads by the end of 2026, the transport secretary has told the BBC.

Mark Harper also said he expected to see the owners of those vehicles being able to travel without having to watch where they're going by the end of that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          If this works out, that's another reason for me to move to the UK in retirement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67825617
          Move to the UK. Lol.

Mr Harper told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he has personally seen the technology being used in California adding he wants people to have "confidence" in a proper safety regime.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Move to the UK. Lol.
            He has personally seen the technology being used in California!

Comment

• Why would anyone willingly move to the UK? Fun place to visit, but bland food, crappy weather, and purchasing power/personal net worth/etc is about 20-30% less than the US. Take away London and they are poorer than every state in America.

Comment

Why would anyone willingly move to the UK? Fun place to visit, but bland food, crappy weather, and purchasing power/personal net worth/etc is about 20-30% less than the US. Take away London and they are poorer than every state in America.
                There's great food if you know where to look.

For me, a couple of reasons. There's so much history I want to explore there that you can't really do on the occasional visit. It's also a great base to explore the rest of Europe from.

But having grandkids and a wife that needs the comfort of home and friends negates all of that, so here we will stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

There's great food if you know where to look.

For me, a couple of reasons. There's so much history I want to explore there that you can't really do on the occasional visit. It's also a great base to explore the rest of Europe from.

But having grandkids and a wife that needs the comfort of home and friends negates all of that, so here we will stay.
                  Don't listen to JL Bo. I've entertained similar thoughts about England and Ireland. For those of us who make welder-level money or have sweet government pensions, a decrease in purchasing power doesn't hit as hard
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Don't listen to JL Bo. I've entertained similar thoughts about England and Ireland. For those of us who make welder-level money or have sweet government pensions, a decrease in purchasing power doesn't hit as hard

Comment

You aren't going to do it either. Knock it off.

FTR, my daughter and SIL have talked about eventually moving to London for his career.

Comment

You aren't going to do it either. Knock it off.

FTR, my daughter and SIL have talked about eventually moving to London for his career.
                        Probably not. But I'm considering my options. The odds of me being an expat will increase with a Trump win.

Yeah I wouldn't do London. The biggest city I would consider over there is Edinborough. But I'd much rather be in a demographically dying country town, preferably near the coast.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Probably not. But I'm considering my options. The odds of me being an expat will increase with a Trump win.
                          Haha. You aren't going anywhere if Trump wins.

Comment

• People who want to move to Europe obviously haven’t lived in Europe or they are rich. If you are rich, then it would be cool as you can live in a cool place and live a decent life. If you are middle class, then it would suck. If you are middle class and still working, ugh, that would be horrible. Have any of you ever seen what Europe looks like in the places that normal people live?

I say this as a person that would live to spend a lot of time in Europe, but only to visit. We have a family in our stake that lived near Paris for two years as part of a WFH thing. They lived it at first but soon realized they were much better off in the states. They were glad to spend the time there but would never move back to live.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              People who want to move to Europe obviously haven’t lived in Europe or they are rich. If you are rich, then it would be cool as you can live in a cool place and live a decent life. If you are middle class, then it would suck. If you are middle class and still working, ugh, that would be horrible. Have any of you ever seen what Europe looks like in the places that normal people live?

I say this as a person that would live to spend a lot of time in Europe, but only to visit. We have a family in our stake that lived near Paris for two years as part of a WFH thing. They lived it at first but soon realized they were much better off in the states. They were glad to spend the time there but would never move back to live.
                              I'm under no illusions regarding the drop in standard of living were we to move to the British Isles. Especially Ireland, where the tax is extremely progressive. And of course I'd want to spend more than just the few weeks that made me fall in love with the countryside before I made the jump. But I could make a go of it financially. And I could feel smug and superior bashing America with my fellow expats and Irish in the pub every night.

The British Isles are more of a pipe dream than my other fallback option, which is Canada. That would make more sense for us financially, though it would still be a setback.
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't do London. The biggest city I would consider over there is Edinborough. But I'd much rather be in a demographically dying country town, preferably near the coast.
                                If Trump wins, my stint as an American is definitely over. I would gladly cut my standard of living in half to not be part of a Trump led America.

"The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X