More IRS fun: Stealing health records of Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #1

    More IRS fun: Stealing health records of Americans

    IRS is a defendant in a class action.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
  • Y84it
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 549

    #2
    Absolute power corrupts. To think I pay these people a third of my income.
    ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

    Comment

    • statman
      Rabblerouser
      • Aug 2009
      • 2799

      #3
      Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
      IRS is a defendant in a class action.
      Seeking up to $1.5 TRILLION in damages - By statute, penalties can be $25K per incident and they stole 60 million records - from 10 million people insured by one company, with claims coming from a variety of Western states. Right now the company from which the records were stolen is secret - "John Doe Company" because the company does not want claims against it to start rolling in. They want the judgement vs the IRS and then the settlement money would be awarded to the 10 million people damaged.

      Comment

      • statman
        Rabblerouser
        • Aug 2009
        • 2799

        #4
        AND - while the 60 million medical records were being downloaded, the sons-of-bitches from the IRS ordered pizza and sodas and watched the NCAA tournament in one of the company meeting rooms.

        I know with financial breaches of privacy, normal failures have set criminal penalties financial penalties assigned to them (no jail time), but if it is considered to be a wide-spreasd blatant breach of privacy, it's possible that prison time can be part of the criminal penalties. Does anyone know of the law for blatant beaches in health care privacy?

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          Originally posted by Y84it View Post
          Absolute power corrupts. To think I pay these people a third of my income.
          Not only do you pay them a third of your income, but they will be enforcing Obamacare.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27879

            #6
            Just another reason to eliminate the income tax and institute a national sales tax.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • statman
              Rabblerouser
              • Aug 2009
              • 2799

              #7
              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Just another reason to eliminate the income tax and institute a national sales tax.

              I think a better response would be a three-tiered flat tax of 12.5% up to $100K household income and 22.5% on the next $400K and 32.5% on anything over $500K. (all sources of income would pay at the same rate - regular income, social security income, rental income, interest, dividends, capital gains, etc). Keep a one-time capital gains tax haven of up to $1MM for the sale of a business or a primary residence. Have a household exemption of $26K + $3.5K per dependent + up to $10K per year for mortgage interest deduction. And a national VAT of 10%. Do away with the middle-class vacation & big-ticket fund known as Earned Income Tax Credit.

              There - the problem is fixed...

              The issue with this - there's a large chuck of the middle class who pay negative taxes right now (they get more in EIC than they've paid) - and they won't like this idea much - even though their tax bill would be pretty small. Pretty small is still a lot more than negative. This would come at a political cost. Some of the middle-rich (a lot of the people making $250K-$500K would see substantial tax decreases), but many of those making over $500K would pay significantly more because their tax shelters would be removed.

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #8
                Let's not get off track. The IRS stole medical records of millions of Americans. Even just the idea of that this happened is indefensible.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27879

                  #9
                  Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  Let's not get off track. The IRS stole medical records of millions of Americans. Even just the idea of that this happened is indefensible.
                  The IRS is having a bad week.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • statman
                    Rabblerouser
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2799

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    The IRS is having a bad week.
                    They gave me a hard time last year. I wonder if it has to do with me posting here???

                    (Not really - my problem was of my own doing. A form I needed to file on my 2009 taxes that I didn't. I spent money out of my health savings account, but didn't include a form that said how it was spent. They said I owed taxes on the whole amount I spent (a little over $8K). It was all spent on medical expenses, and they said I could fix the issue by providing documentation of what I spent. I did - all through the company that runs the health savings account - payments were all made to doctors and pharmacies. But then they said I still needed to pay them ~$3000 until they decided on my case. I didn't. They sent more letters. I called them and explained that I was clearly in the right and had provided them the documentation. They still wanted me to pay. I still ignored them. I stopped ignoring them last December when I was planning on quitting my job and applying for a new one and I didn't want an IRS lien on my credit report. Then they contacted me and said it looked like I had the right documentation but that I needed to refile my 2009 taxes (which I offered to do up front - it's all on turbo tax. I just needed to file an additional form). So I did that in January, and I still don't have my $3000 back. I'm blaming it all on them profiling me for my radical right-wing ideology).

                    Comment

                    Working...