Rush Limbaugh's Death Rattle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleeping in EQ
    Philosopher of Men
    • Nov 2008
    • 4188

    #1

    Rush Limbaugh's Death Rattle

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #2
    I'm sure at some point those predicting his demise will be right. How soon it happens is the big question.

    Comment

    • clackamascoug
      Banned
      • Dec 2009
      • 9709

      #3
      I admit to being on the Rush band wagon in the 90's. Around 2000 I started bugging my wife as she still listened every AM. She stopped around 2003, and we've never looked back. I get the schtick, appreciate the message, but I ended up hating the messenger.

      Comment

      • Harry Tic
        I've Made a Huge Mistake.
        • Dec 2011
        • 1660

        #4
        Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
        I admit to being on the Rush band wagon in the 90's. Around 2000 I started bugging my wife as she still listened every AM. She stopped around 2003, and we've never looked back. I get the schtick, appreciate the message, but I ended up hating the messenger.
        I used to listen to Rush back in the 90s for "entertainment value" and while I was more conservative politically then than I am today, he would still somehow manage to say things that I agreed with, but in such a way as to make me wish that I didn't. I used to follow Rush, Drudge, and a few conservative blogs and then, sometime in the late 90s, I pretty much walked away from it. It was striking to note how much happier I was. All those voices had been a dark cloud over my head and I didn't even realize it at the time. I really do appreciate thoughtful, conservative voices but Rush definitely was not one.
        Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
        --William Blake, via Shpongle

        Comment

        • pellegrino
          miserere me
          • Jan 2009
          • 12100

          #5
          Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
          I used to listen to Rush back in the 90s for "entertainment value" and while I was more conservative politically then than I am today, he would still somehow manage to say things that I agreed with, but in such a way as to make me wish that I didn't. I used to follow Rush, Drudge, and a few conservative blogs and then, sometime in the late 90s, I pretty much walked away from it. It was striking to note how much happier I was. All those voices had been a dark cloud over my head and I didn't even realize it at the time. I really do appreciate thoughtful, conservative voices but Rush definitely was not one.
          I wish my dad would understand this. I think he would have a much greater quality of life if he'd just turn off Rush and FOXnews.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

          pelagius

          Comment

          • VirginiaCougar
            Junior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 331

            #6
            Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
            I wish my dad would understand this. I think he would have a much greater quality of life if he'd just turn off Rush and FOXnews.
            It is amazing what a distorted, dark and conspiratorial view these talkers bring to their listeners. It makes American Constitutional Governance nearly impossible. It really harms political discourse. We do have problems, and it is fine to disagree on political solutions - but the Limbaughs, Becks, Hannitys bring nothing but harm. Same is true of the Mahers, O'Donnells, etc. on the liberal side.
            Tell Graham to see. And tell Merrill to swing away.

            Comment

            • Harry Tic
              I've Made a Huge Mistake.
              • Dec 2011
              • 1660

              #7
              Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
              I wish my dad would understand this. I think he would have a much greater quality of life if he'd just turn off Rush and FOXnews.
              My dad's the same way. He's obsessed with a Muslim takeover of America. All he thinks and reads about is Jihad. It's amazing how many blogs there are devoted to this stuff. Heaven knows there is enough to worry about these days. Sharia law taking hold in the US is pretty far down the list. But once you go down the rabbit hole, it's pretty tough to get out. Come to think of it, these kinds of political fixations and fetishes are probably just as harmful in some ways as porn. It totally colors a person's experience of the world and it's difficult to dig out of a hole like that. It's gotten to where you can't have a rational conversation with him because his view of the world has become so distorted.
              Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
              --William Blake, via Shpongle

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #8
                Originally posted by VirginiaCougar View Post
                It is amazing what a distorted, dark and conspiratorial view these talkers bring to their listeners. It makes American Constitutional Governance nearly impossible. It really harms political discourse. We do have problems, and it is fine to disagree on political solutions - but the Limbaughs, Becks, Hannitys bring nothing but harm. Same is true of the Mahers, O'Donnells, etc. on the liberal side.
                I disagree. Talk radio listeners and cable news watchers are at least informed, concerned citizens. Sure they may not have all the information or the information they receive is biased, but at least they care. I'm much more concerned about the ambivalent who do nothing to inform themselves.

                Comment

                • Guest

                  #9
                  Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  I wish my dad would understand this. I think he would have a much greater quality of life if he'd just turn off Rush and FOXnews.
                  My grandparents are just like this. Just the other day, Mother's Day to be exact, I just about got into a big debate about politics with them. I held back but it has always bothered of how much they watch Foxnews and listen to Rush almost exclusively. I wouldn't mind if they watched/listened to Foxnews and Rush while including some more liberal shows to get a more broad view of things, but they don't. I think the thing that bothers me the most about it is how closed minded they are because of it. I definitely think most of their closed mindedness has come from their LDS background but Rush and friends certainly hasn't helped any.

                  Comment

                  • VirginiaCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 331

                    #10
                    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    I disagree. Talk radio listeners and cable news watchers are at least informed, concerned citizens. Sure they may not have all the information or the information they receive is biased, but at least they care. I'm much more concerned about the ambivalent who do nothing to inform themselves.
                    It is true that they are concerned, but they are not informed. As you note, the information is so distorted and biased as to make them the opposite of informed. That is a key part of the problem.
                    Tell Graham to see. And tell Merrill to swing away.

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #11
                      Originally posted by AggieIam View Post
                      My grandparents are just like this. Just the other day, Mother's Day to be exact, I just about got into a big debate about politics with them. I held back but it has always bothered of how much they watch Foxnews and listen to Rush almost exclusively. I wouldn't mind if they watched/listened to Foxnews and Rush while including some more liberal shows to get a more broad view of things, but they don't. I think the thing that bothers me the most about it is how closed minded they are because of it. I definitely think most of their closed mindedness has come from their LDS background but Rush and friends certainly hasn't helped any.
                      And then there is the other side. My parents couldn't be more liberal and consider Limbaugh, Fox, and Hannity to be the triumvirate of evil. They long for the day gay marriage is legalized, even sanctioned in the temple, and still cling to the notion that America is to blame for all the world's ills. All 5 of my siblings fall into different slots on the political spectrum but after some ruined holidays, politics is a not a subject we discuss any longer.

                      Edit: Let me just add that I too believe in gay marriage as does most of my family. I only pointed out their opinion on the subject because they've taken the next step in that evolution by wishing it would be sanctioned by the church.
                      Last edited by Blueintheface; 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • Guest

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        And then there is the other side. My parents couldn't be more liberal and consider Limbaugh, Fox, and Hannity to be the triumvirate of evil. They long for the day gay marriage is legalized, even sanctioned in the temple, and still cling to the notion that America is to blame for all the world's ills. All 5 of my siblings fall into different slots on the political spectrum but after some ruined holidays, politics is a not a subject we discuss any longer.
                        I agree. Too much of one side is not good. And most definitely agree that politics should be left out of family discussions. A Thanksgiving a few years ago was quiet and awkward because of a political discussion.

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #13
                          Smug+Alert.jpg
                          Originally posted by VirginiaCougar View Post
                          It is true that they are concerned, but they are not informed. As you note, the information is so distorted and biased as to make them the opposite of informed. That is a key part of the problem.

                          Comment

                          • Blueintheface
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 15382

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2162[/ATTACH]
                            Holy shit, I thought of the same exact thing! Pass around the wine glasses, it's going to get stinky in here.
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                            Comment

                            • VirginiaCougar
                              Junior Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 331

                              #15
                              Smirk. That is funny stuff. This response always makes me smile. One of the most common arguments of conservatives (at least those that consume that crap) who don't know how to respond is

                              1) How arrogant!

                              the second one, which I am waiting for is

                              2) the misapplied whine of "strawman!"

                              The information they offer is that distorted, no smugness involved. It just is and it harms our political system. I'd like anything to argue otherwise.
                              Last edited by VirginiaCougar; 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM.
                              Tell Graham to see. And tell Merrill to swing away.

                              Comment

                              Working...