Google may have killed a donkey

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #1

    Google may have killed a donkey

    Did Google run over a donkey in Botswana? That's certainly what its Google Street view cameras seem to suggest.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift
  • Uncle Ted
    The Big 12 money shot.
    • Apr 2010
    • 28853

    #2
    Google has much bigger problems now...

    Google employees are walking out over sexual harassment scandals

    Google employees around the world walked out of their offices on Thursday in a global protest over how the company deals with sexual harassment.


    The demonstrations, dubbed "Google Walkout," follow an outcry over a New York Times investigation that detailed years of sexual harassment allegations, multimillion-dollar severance packages for accused executives, and a lack of transparency over the cases.
    Before Google employees got to work in the United States, around 150 Google employees in India participated in the walkouts, a company spokesman in the country told CNN. Google (GOOGL) has about 2,000 staff members across Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
    [...]

    According to the report, the company stayed silent about sexual misconduct allegations against three executives over the past decade, including Android creator Andy Rubin, who left the company in 2014. Tech news site The Information previously reported that Google had investigated Rubin for an inappropriate relationship while at the company.

    But the Times uncovered new details, including a reported $90 million exit package that Rubin is said to have been granted when he departed the company. The Times reported that Rubin was accused of coercing a female employee, with whom he'd been having affair, into performing oral sex in a hotel room in 2013. A Google investigation found her claim to be credible and then-CEO Larry Page asked Rubin to resign, according to the Times.
    [...]


    Folks need to take android devices out to the street and smash them to bits now. Move on!
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #3
      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Google has much bigger problems now...
      Yeah, a CS PhD friend of mine got so fed up with how the issue has been handled/hidden that she quit last May and decided to go to law school to pursue IP. She said she was tired of working with "money-grubbing misogynistic assholes."

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #4
        Originally posted by Babs View Post
        Yeah, a CS PhD friend of mine got so fed up with how the issue has been handled/hidden that she quit last May and decided to go to law school to pursue IP. She said she was tired of working with "money-grubbing misogynistic assholes."
        Good for her... I hope she also moved away from those awful google related products as well. Who knows what sick code Rubin put in Android.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37979

          #5
          Originally posted by Babs View Post
          Yeah, a CS PhD friend of mine got so fed up with how the issue has been handled/hidden that she quit last May and decided to go to law school to pursue IP. She said she was tired of working with "money-grubbing misogynistic assholes."
          So she chose the law?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Babs
            Not a Lawyer
            • Nov 2008
            • 17128

            #6
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            So she chose the law?
            Right?

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27877

              #7
              Originally posted by Babs View Post
              Right?
              She would have been safer going to Hollywood.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69689

                #8
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                So she chose the law?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #9
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  So she chose the law?
                  Working for google can do that to a person... she is much better off now.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Babs
                    Not a Lawyer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 17128

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    Working for google can do that to a person... she is much better off now.
                    She wanted to leave google a couple of years ago when she found out what they were doing with the 23&me data, but she held out until she was vested and could afford to boalt.

                    Comment

                    • creekster
                      It is NOT a monkey!
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22661

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Babs View Post
                      She wanted to leave google a couple of years ago when she found out what they were doing with the 23&me data, but she held out until she was vested and could afford to boalt.
                      Hopefully she'll be able to bear it.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        She wanted to leave google a couple of years ago when she found out what they were doing with the 23&me data, but she held out until she was vested and could afford to boalt.
                        OMG... what evil thing is "Do no Evil" Google doing with 23&Me data? I don't think I have heard this.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Babs
                          Not a Lawyer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 17128

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          OMG... what evil thing is "Do no Evil" Google doing with 23&Me data? I don't think I have heard this.
                          For those of you considering this kind of genetic/ancestry testing, don’t do it. Under any circumstances. And make sure your family members don’t do it, either. The scientists can reverse engineer your makeup to > 99% accuracy once they have a few of your family members’ submissions.

                          It’s shocking to me that anyone ever could have believed this “service” would be available for less than 200 bucks. It’s not a service. You’re paying a corporation for the privilege of turning over your own DNA so they can sell the genetic data to pharmaceuticals, insurance companies, and law enforcement. A google exec founded 23&me as a separate entity from Alphabet, but it’s all driven by the same principles and algorithms.

                          But good news for you free-market types——it’s almost entirely unregulated!

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Babs View Post
                            For those of you considering this kind of genetic/ancestry testing, don’t do it. Under any circumstances. And make sure your family members don’t do it, either. The scientists can reverse engineer your makeup to > 99% accuracy once they have a few of your family members’ submissions.

                            It’s shocking to me that anyone ever could have believed this “service” would be available for less than 200 bucks. It’s not a service. You’re paying a corporation for the privilege of turning over your own DNA so they can sell the genetic data to pharmaceuticals, insurance companies, and law enforcement. A google exec founded 23&me as a separate entity from Alphabet, but it’s all driven by the same principles and algorithms.

                            But good news for you free-market types——it’s almost entirely unregulated!
                            I had already decided to never do it... I am very protective when it comes to my data. Not to mention, the movie Gattaca scared the sh*t out of me. I told my dumb family not to do it either but both of my brothers didn't listen. I am hosed.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • swampfrog
                              Social Distance Warrior
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 2267

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              the movie Gattaca scared the sh*t out of me
                              One of my favorite SF films

                              Comment

                              Working...