What's right with Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Property tax is a punishment for owning stuff?
    I remember living in Utah and having to pay property tax on my car... do they still do that crap?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Haha.

When I moved to Texas, I was worried about being surrounded by the stereotypical Texans. You know, the ones who just can't shut up about Texas-this and Texas-that. But I found that most Texans are down-to-earth great people. We loved it there.

It seems our Uncle Ted has embraced the Texan stereotype to the nth degree. But there is one thing that will probably always rankle him: No matter how much he promotes whataburger, no matter how much he mocks other states, no matter how much crap he owns in the shape of the state, he will NEVER be a native Texan. Bwahahahaha....
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Haha.

When I moved to Texas, I was worried about being surrounded by the stereotypical Texans. You know, the ones who just can't shut up about Texas-this and Texas-that. But I found that most Texans are down-to-earth great people. We loved it there.

It seems our Uncle Ted has embraced the Texan stereotype to the nth degree. But there is one thing that will probably always rankle him: No matter how much he promotes whataburger, no matter how much he mocks other states, no matter how much crap he owns in the shape of the state, he will NEVER be a native Texan. Bwahahahaha....
        Didnt you live in Austin? Within my experience that is not a typical texan environment.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Didnt you live in Austin? Within my experience that is not a typical texan environment.
          Yeah, definitely more liberal than your typical Texas town. But in some ways it is the quintessential Texas city: flagship state university, state capital, and BBQ capital. Whataburger or Taco Cabana on every corner.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Yeah, definitely more liberal than your typical Texas town. But in some ways it is the quintessential Texas city: flagship state university, state capital, and BBQ capital. Whataburger or Taco Cabana on every corner.
            I lived in a much smaller West Texas town for a year+ and it was more like what you said you had expected.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

yeah, pretty much. Seriously though, economists study the effect of income tax on productivity. it's a dumb way to tax. I'd rather have them tax on the resources we consume rather than what we produce.

Comment

• How do you get around paying sales tax online? I thought that changed a few years back.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Haha.

Now that I have lived here for about 20 years they all have adopted me and consider me one of their brothers... even a good number of the SOBs (Southern Orthodox Baptists). While I wasn't born in Texas at least I wasn't born in Utah. Now my young son has the good fortunate of being a native Texan. I guess he must have been one of God's chosen in the pre-existence to have been blessed to be born in this great state.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    How do you get around paying sales tax online? I thought that changed a few years back.
                    Depends on the on-line shop... If they are have offices or warehouses in Texas then they will charge sales tax. The ones (completely) outside of Texas don't.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes and no. At least with property tax you control, to some extent, how much you pay. If you want to pay less, you live in a less expensive house. Easy peasy.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Now that I have lived here for about 20 years they all have adopted me and consider me one of their brothers... even a good number of the SOBs (Southern Orthodox Baptists). While I wasn't born in Texas at least I wasn't born in Utah. Now my young son has the good fortunate of being a native Texan. I guess he must have been one of God's chosen in the pre-existence to have been blessed to be born in this great state.
                        You might be able to fool some people here with that hogwash, but you and I both know that you will always be a fake Texan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Yes and no. At least with property tax you control, to some extent, how much you pay. If you want to pay less, you live in a less expensive house. Easy peasy.
                          Yeah, I use to know a guy in South Carolina that lived in an actual barn. From the outside it looked like your typical farm barn. The inside was one of the nicest places I have been in. He moved into the barn to keep his property taxes low.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, I use to know a guy in South Carolina that lived in an actual barn. From the outside it looked like your typical farm barn. The inside was one of the nicest places I have been in. He moved into the barn to keep his property taxes low.
                            A guy moved from my ward up to Conroe, where he had a big metal building built, like a big warehouse. He outfitted the interior to be just like a normal home, a large and beautiful home. It looked like a warehouse from the outside. His taxes were much lower since it wasn’t designated as a residence or some other tax trick like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

You might be able to fool some people here with that hogwash, but you and I both know that you will always be a fake Texan.
                              Yeah, right... I am no more fake than Uncle Ted:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, right... I am no more fake than Uncle Ted:
                                I have shared this before, but we moved to Texas one week after our oldest child was born. Texans were dumb-founded that we missed an opportunity to move to Texas a few weeks early so he could be a ** NATIVE TEXAN **. They said that it is common for Texans abroad in other states to return home to deliver.

Son #2 was born in Texas and has an official certificate as proof.

Comment

Working...
                                X