The Fiscal Cliff

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CardiacCoug
    вот так штука
    • Nov 2008
    • 11013

    #826
    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
    It's funny how people know so little about what is driving our deficits. Are you aware that if we could return to the highest Bush level spending, we would be running a surplus? Especially adding in savings from reduced spending on Iraq and Afghanistan. It's really not that hard.

    The 2013 outlays are 24% higher than the 2008 outlays. IOW, if we never resumed the government functions that are currently shut down*, we would still be spending more into the next year than we spent during Bush's highest deficit years.

    *assuming the 17% figure I've seen reflects outlays, and it very well may not
    Interesting. Yeah I'd be in favor of going back to 2008 spending levels and running a surplus. Totally agree that a huge percentage of federal spending could be cut immediately and the country would be in better shape.

    I stand corrected that the year-to-year deficits aren't due to Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security, but don't you agree that these programs are the main long-term financial problem that needs to be solved?

    In my mind it really makes no sense to cut the FDA, NIH, National Parks, and whatever else might be included in that 17% and not deal with the entitlement programs. It's like a family getting rid of its $30 monthly internet bill while continuing to pay $5K/month on a mortgage.

    Comment

    • Jacob
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 6801

      #827
      Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Interesting. Yeah I'd be in favor of going back to 2008 spending levels and running a surplus. Totally agree that a huge percentage of federal spending could be cut immediately and the country would be in better shape.

      I stand corrected that the year-to-year deficits aren't due to Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security, but don't you agree that these programs are the main long-term financial problem that needs to be solved?

      In my mind it really makes no sense to cut the FDA, NIH, National Parks, and whatever else might be included in that 17% and not deal with the entitlement programs. It's like a family getting rid of its $30 monthly internet bill while continuing to pay $5K/month on a mortgage.
      I agree. Id add military spending to entitlements, those are the main line items. Why not throw in another 5% sequester? There are better ways to cut, but I'll take what I can get.

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #828
        Senator Barack Obama should run for president...

        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #829
          Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Senator Barack Obama should run for president...

          As someone who has spent way too much time developing a signature, I really dig President Obama's. Clean, legible, unique and easily distinguishable.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • beefytee
            Board eye candy
            • Mar 2009
            • 7542

            #830
            Not bad for a leftie.

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21139

              #831
              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              As someone who has spent way too much time developing a signature, I really dig President Obama's. Clean, legible, unique and easily distinguishable.
              Yeah - especially when considering the result, I also took way too much time developing a signature. I really liked my dad's. My signature has never come close to being as clean, legible, or distinguishable as either Barack's or my dad's. I may have nailed unique, though.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • thesaint258
                aka Benito Hazard
                • Jan 2009
                • 3005

                #832
                Mine is basically random bumps. No one can forge it--not even me!
                Not that, sickos.

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #833
                  Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  As someone who has spent way too much time developing a signature, I really dig President Obama's. Clean, legible, unique and easily distinguishable.
                  If it had a ♥ rather than an "O", it would look like the signature of a 12 year old girl.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • calicoug
                    Junior Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 1556

                    #834
                    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    Social Security customer satisfaction ratings? Customers?



                    This is not correct. SS began to run a deficit in 2010 due largely to the so-called "payroll tax holiday" in which we decided to not collect the tax es dedicated to fund SS. That "Vacation" was repealed at the beginning of this year, but according the trust fund report, it is running a small deficit still:

                    But $75 billion is not much of a budget decifit compared to the total deficit. So, SS, short-term, is running a small deficit but is a long-term disaster that gets worse everyday there is no reform. http://www.ssa.gov/oact/trsum/

                    From the same report, medicare doesn't appear to be running a deficit, but is also a long-term disaster.

                    It's funny how people know so little about what is driving our deficits. Are you aware that if we could return to the highest Bush level spending, we would be running a surplus? Especially adding in savings from reduced spending on Iraq and Afghanistan. It's really not that hard.

                    The 2013 outlays are 24% higher than the 2008 outlays. IOW, if we never resumed the government functions that are currently shut down*, we would still be spending more into the next year than we spent during Bush's highest deficit years.

                    *assuming the 17% figure I've seen reflects outlays, and it very well may not
                    Bush's highest budget was for fy2009. Not 2008. FYI. And the total outlays have hardly budged since then.

                    Comment

                    • calicoug
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 1556

                      #835
                      1 month T bill rate ticks up again. Still nobody think there is a chance Moliere? Because if they don't, this is hard to explain.

                      This National Review article summarizes the issue well:



                      You have a group of conservatives who aren't going to accept much of anything in "exchange" for not blowing up the economy. They are dictating Boehner's moves right now. The only way this ends well is if Boehner leaves them behind which will have serious effects on his ability to hold power. I think that's about all he cares about right now. Will he bend once it is clear we are headed to a default or will he stick with the crazies? I'm still betting he bends but I'm nervous. Many are (but not Moliere or apparently anyone Moliere knows or reads about).

                      Republicans are in real trouble as a party. They gave power to the crazies and now the crazies own them. I've said this would happen for years and have been roundly mocked for it. The best case scenario is that the business side of the GOP gets tired of this and realizes the Tea Party hurts them. Then they make a play to primary candidates who are nuts. We are already seeing this in Michigan and the Chamber of Commerce is now making noise about not supporting the Tea Party. Republicans are headed for an implosion and I think maybe even a party split. Let's hope Boehner realizes the right thing to do and doesn't cave to the nuts.

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #836
                        Originally posted by calicoug View Post
                        1 month T bill rate ticks up again. Still nobody think there is a chance Moliere? Because if they don't, this is hard to explain.

                        This National Review article summarizes the issue well:



                        You have a group of conservatives who aren't going to accept much of anything in "exchange" for not blowing up the economy. They are dictating Boehner's moves right now. The only way this ends well is if Boehner leaves them behind which will have serious effects on his ability to hold power. I think that's about all he cares about right now. Will he bend once it is clear we are headed to a default or will he stick with the crazies? I'm still betting he bends but I'm nervous. Many are (but not Moliere or apparently anyone Moliere knows or reads about).

                        Republicans are in real trouble as a party. They gave power to the crazies and now the crazies own them. I've said this would happen for years and have been roundly mocked for it. The best case scenario is that the business side of the GOP gets tired of this and realizes the Tea Party hurts them. Then they make a play to primary candidates who are nuts. We are already seeing this in Michigan and the Chamber of Commerce is now making noise about not supporting the Tea Party. Republicans are headed for an implosion and I think maybe even a party split. Let's hope Boehner realizes the right thing to do and doesn't cave to the nuts.
                        And you don't think the dems are in trouble as a party? Obama has continued many of the Bush Jr's policies, you know, all the policies that the dems hated. e.g. His own party think he is a corporate sellout...

                        IMG_2899.JPG

                        And a baby killer... (it's like LBJ is back in office)

                        IMG_2986.JPG

                        If you defend Obama then you are also defending Bush Jr.
                        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-08-2013, 05:47 AM.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Omaha 680
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 11181

                          #837
                          Originally posted by calicoug View Post
                          Bush's highest budget was for fy2009. Not 2008. FYI. And the total outlays have hardly budged since then.
                          Wait, are you putting Obama's 2009 stimulus on Bush?

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #838
                            Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            Wait, are you putting Obama's 2009 stimulus on Bush?
                            Yes, everything bad that has happened is Bush Jr's fault. It is the fantasy land that the dems like to live in.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #839
                              What every happened to that Senator Obama?

                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #840
                                Harry Reid made a good argument...



                                http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/16/po...end.html?_r=1&
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...