RIP Big Tex

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #1

    RIP Big Tex

    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #2
    New Mexicans have been burning their state fair mascots for years:

    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zozobra"]Zozobra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

    Comment

    • Viking
      Banned
      • Jun 2009
      • 6470

      #3
      That's sad. Fair Day in Big D always meant seeing Big Tex (in his pre-Dickies days, of course) and getting kind of weirded out.

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #4
        Yeah, I posted a picture of the fire earlier today. Pretty wild. I remember Tex's voice like it was just last week . . .

        (He talks, for those of you who aren't familiar with the fair.)

        Comment

        • Uncle Ted
          The Big 12 money shot.
          • Apr 2010
          • 28853

          #5
          (Posted over in Random Thoughts as well..)

          Last edited by Uncle Ted; 09-30-2013, 07:39 AM.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Uncle Ted
            The Big 12 money shot.
            • Apr 2010
            • 28853

            #6
            I am not sure how my young son (age 6) is going to take the news. He drew this picture just the other day...

            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #7
              Big Tex is back! As Santa Claus...

              The head of the beloved State Fair of Texas icon adorns Wayne Smith’s roof, topped with not a cowboy hat, but a Santa cap.

              Big Tex burned down in October, but Smith has the cowpoke’s original head, which he bought at an auction in 1993.

              The Tex-turned-Santa holiday display pays tribute to the buckaroo’s roots. Before Tex was Tex, he was the world’s largest Santa Claus, born in the little town of Kerens, southeast of Dallas, in 1949.

              “After he burned up, everybody was so sad about it, and I thought: What better way to let them know that he is really still here?” Smith said. “I’ve had so many people who drive by and say: Thanks for bringing Tex back.”
              But just to be safe, Smith placed fireproofing foam inside Big Tex’s noggin. Because, well, you know …

              “I don’t want mine to catch fire like the one at the fair,” Smith said. “It doesn’t do much good to have a box of ashes of the original Big Tex head.”


              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #8
                Big Tex has been reincarnated...



                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Paperback Writer
                  Signature won a Pulitzer
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 5211

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  I caught a segment on one of the local news channels that mentioned "new Tex" has darker skin. Conjecture went from appeasing Latinos to Tex getting a tan to engineering with darker materials.

                  I dubbed him "Lamanite Tex".
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                  Comment

                  Working...