What's right with California?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oxcoug
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters
    • Dec 2009
    • 5309

    #1

    What's right with California?

    As a CA native I wanted to have a good news thread here as well.

    So, someone gimme something good.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.
  • Non Sequitur
    Where did I put my bodkin
    • Nov 2008
    • 5773

    #2
    Napa Valley
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

    Comment

    • Coach McGuirk
      1
      • Nov 2008
      • 12109

      #3

      Comment

      • Blueintheface
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 15382

        #4
        Should be a short thread.

        That pain on your left cheek was my gauntlet.
        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

        "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

        Comment

        • Coach McGuirk
          1
          • Nov 2008
          • 12109

          #5




          Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM.

          Comment

          • EuropeanFootballMale
            Karate/Friendship Master
            • Aug 2010
            • 1339

            #6




            Comment

            • clackamascoug
              Banned
              • Dec 2009
              • 9709

              #7
              The Indy Art Scene is Prolific

              Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-23-2012, 01:43 PM.

              Comment

              • RobinFinderson
                Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 10548

                #8
                Hmmm, where to begin...

                World Class Nature
                The Pacific Ocean
                The Sierra Nevada
                The Redwoods
                Death Valley
                Joshua Tree
                Yosemite
                Tahoe
                (extreme short list)

                World Class Cities

                San Francisco
                Los Angeles

                Major Industry
                Space Exploration
                Silicon Valley
                Hollywood
                Music
                Agriculture (fruits and nuts!)

                World Class Sports Teams
                Didn't we win a hockey game or something?
                I've also heard that we have some other sports too.

                World Class Colleges and Universities
                CalTech
                Stanford
                UCLA
                Berkley
                (extreme short list)

                World Culture Leader
                All the other brothers can't deny...
                We make more music
                We make more video games
                We make more movies

                Best Climate, and most climate variety
                I live in a city with one of the most highly regarded climates in the world. Yet, within a one-hour drive, I can be enjoying alpine view, or wandering the desert. We have excellent skiing and surfing.

                Comment

                • Coach McGuirk
                  1
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 12109

                  #9




                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69746

                    #10
                    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    Hmmm, where to begin...

                    World Class Nature
                    The Pacific Ocean
                    The Sierra Nevada
                    The Redwoods
                    Death Valley
                    Joshua Tree
                    Yosemite
                    Tahoe
                    (extreme short list)

                    World Class Cities

                    San Francisco
                    Los Angeles

                    Major Industry
                    Space Exploration
                    Silicon Valley
                    Hollywood
                    Music
                    Agriculture (fruits and nuts!)

                    World Class Sports Teams
                    Didn't we win a hockey game or something?
                    I've also heard that we have some other sports too.

                    World Class Colleges and Universities
                    CalTech
                    Stanford
                    UCLA
                    Berkley
                    (extreme short list)

                    World Culture Leader
                    All the other brothers can't deny...
                    We make more music
                    We make more video games
                    We make more movies

                    Best Climate, and most climate variety
                    I live in a city with one of the most highly regarded climates in the world. Yet, within a one-hour drive, I can be enjoying alpine view, or wandering the desert. We have excellent skiing and surfing.
                    LOL.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Non Sequitur
                      Where did I put my bodkin
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5773

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post


                      Ugh. I move we re-focus this thread to "What's right with Northern California."
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #12
                        (1) Legalized Marijuana:



                        (2) Apple:





                        (3) Green Power:

                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • RobinFinderson
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10548

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          LOL.
                          Honestly, it would be easier to make a list of the things that make me jealous of other states:

                          Utah: Southern Utah Parks
                          Montana: Fishing and rodeo
                          Mountain West: I really miss the Rocky Mountains
                          New York City: Art and museums and theater

                          I should add to California list, Culinary Arts. We aren't the leader on the high-end side, but I think we do very well on the mid and low-end side of the culinary arts. We are the birthplace of the food-truck phenomenon. In other words, the best food that most of us can afford to eat can be found in CA.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69746

                            #14
                            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            Honestly, it would be easier to make a list of the things that make me jealous of other states:

                            Utah: Southern Utah Parks
                            Montana: Fishing and rodeo
                            Mountain West: I really miss the Rocky Mountains
                            New York City: Art and museums and theater

                            I should add to California list, Culinary Arts. We aren't the leader on the high-end side, but I think we do very well on the mid and low-end side of the culinary arts. We are the birthplace of the food-truck phenomenon. In other words, the best food that most of us can afford to eat can be found in CA.
                            I just found it hilarious how earnest your reply was. Don't forget to tell Ox about the sunny beaches!
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • RobinFinderson
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10548

                              #15
                              The automobile industry. We may not build many of them here (Go Tesla Motors!), but we design them here, and we lead in the customization industry.

                              Comment

                              Working...