Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why should we return it when you can't take care of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should we return it when you can't take care of it?

One of the stock answers that the Brits give when the rest of the world demands their historical and cultural treasures back, is that without Britain storing this stuff, it would be long gone, cut into pieces and into the hands of a zillion private collectors.

2 years ago Greece, along with Egypt and Italy, demanded its treasures back. Last Friday, Greece's Olympia museum was robbed of 70 historical relics. The armed robbers overwhelmed the single female guard. (Lone guard on duty, not unmarried; not sure what her gender had to do with it). Last month, burglars stole a Mondrian and a Picasso from the National Art Museum in Athens. Greece is awash in young, probably unemployed, art predators.

Yeah. We're saving it for you. No really.

As an American, I am proud to say that nothing has ever been stolen from the Smithsonian/National Archives. Well, other than that nasty little incident with Sandy Berger, that is.

While previously sympathetic to the complaints of cultures that their artifacts should be returned, my visit to Egypt last year changed my mind completely. Even though it is patronizing and paternalistic, they should be happy so much of their treasures are being well cared for. Maybe in the next few centuries it can be returned, but not now.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      One of the stock answers that the Brits give when the rest of the world demands their historical and cultural treasures back, is that without Britain storing this stuff, it would be long gone, cut into pieces and into the hands of a zillion private collectors.

2 years ago Greece, along with Egypt and Italy, demanded its treasures back. Last Friday, Greece's Olympia museum was robbed of 70 historical relics. The armed robbers overwhelmed the single female guard. (Lone guard on duty, not unmarried; not sure what her gender had to do with it). Last month, burglars stole a Mondrian and a Picasso from the National Art Museum in Athens. Greece is awash in young, probably unemployed, art predators.

Yeah. We're saving it for you. No really.

As an American, I am proud to say that nothing has ever been stolen from the Smithsonian/National Archives. Well, other than that nasty little incident with Sandy Berger, that is.
      I'm a total believer in this argument and given that the Brits maintain these global treasures and make them freely available to the public at the expense of their own treasury I'm not sure there's a good article against it.

Also, geographical overlaps notwithstanding, modern Greece has only tenuous links to ancient Greece.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Just this morning I read an article about all the art stolen from BYU. I had no idea:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ns-estate.html
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I love walking around in the Louvre while contemplating that a lot of that stuff was stolen.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
            Just this morning I read an article about all the art stolen from BYU. I had no idea:

That was really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              That was really interesting.
              Yes it was. But true to form, the DesNews didn't even hint at calling out the imbeciles at BYU who stored millions of dollars worth of art in "storage rooms" and on faculty members' walls. Wish it had been in the Trib.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                Yes it was. But true to form, the DesNews didn't even hint at calling out the imbeciles at BYU who stored millions of dollars worth of art in "storage rooms" and on faculty members' walls. Wish it had been in the Trib.
                Does someone really need to call them out on that? The DNews reported the facts. That the collection was put into storage rooms and many pieces went missing speaks to the ridiculous management of the collection. Very comical. Some of the pieces ended up in the homes of of English Dept staff? I think we know how it was stolen.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Does someone really need to call them out on that? The DNews reported the facts. That the collection was put into storage rooms and many pieces went missing speaks to the ridiculous management of the collection.
                  I agree.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    Does someone really need to call them out on that? The DNews reported the facts. That the collection was put into storage rooms and many pieces went missing speaks to the ridiculous management of the collection. Very comical. Some of the pieces ended up in the homes of of English Dept staff? I think we know how it was stolen.
                    And I am willing to bet this was not an uncommon practice during the time at many similar institutions. Good thing they have tightened up that ship.

Comment

800 pieces of art disappeared? Valued between $4-$6 million?

Good grief.

Comment

This made me think of this story regarding Farrah Fawcett and a stolen Andy Warhol painting:

http://m.starpulse.com/news/index.ph...ting_of_farrah

Comment

Working...
                        X