Come on, you Utah Mormons! Get out to your caucuses -- even you Democrats!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleeping in EQ
    Philosopher of Men
    • Nov 2008
    • 4188

    #46
    Mormon Democrats do exist, but they often face criticism from fellow believers that their political views are out of step with doctrinal teachings.
    Ya think? Every ward I've been in has at least a few belligerent Republicans who are chronic offenders in this area. Local leadership does nothing and the rank and file who know better are silent.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27886

      #47
      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      Mormon political orientation, IMO, is a function of one's local circumstances. During my mission in Guatemala and El Salvador the local members tended to be Social Democrats and to support the candidate whom American would consider "liberal." That was in the mid-70s, before all the war and bloodshed of the 80s, so I don't know if things have changed. The GAs are all older men, who tend to be more conservative anyway (ahem) and they live in one of the reddest states in the USA. They're pretty reflective of their experiences and circumstances. I'll bet Pres. Uchtdorf is more accepting of social democracy, to the extent he thinks about such things at all. I'll also bet the GAs from Europe and South America are something other than Regan Republicans. (The ones from the former Soviet countries are probably pretty anti-communist.)
      Is it possible that they created the GOP fervor that exists in Utah? I'm not saying the current GAs created it, just that previous ones likely incubated the staunch conservatism that exists in Utah today.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • Goatnapper'96
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10924

        #48
        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Based on my mission experiences, I would guess that a solid majority of LDS members in the UK belong to the Labour (liberal) Party. Napper or someone else that's lived there can chime in if my impression was correct or not.
        Sadly I am probably more qualified to discuss the average Limey's bra size, both man and woman, than political leanings. Teethe as well, never particularly enamored with the results of socialized dentistry! I cannot recall many political conversations with members, but my instinct is that you are correct simply based upon demographics of most of the members in England seemed to come from working class neighborhoods.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

        Comment

        • Goatnapper'96
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10924

          #49
          Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          A number of years ago the bishop of my ward, who was then the first counselor, made a comment in a 5th sunday lesson about party affiliation. I think it was EQP, who is a staunch democrat, said something and the 1st counselor responded that God is neither a democrat or a republican, He is a Libertarian.

          What an ass.
          I agree the 1st Counselor sounds like a real ass. Too bad he is your Bishop now!
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

          Comment

          • BigPiney
            Huge Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 12367

            #50
            Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            I agree the 1st Counselor sounds like a real ass. Too bad he is your Bishop now!
            Agreed. that was my point exactly.

            Comment

            • Goatnapper'96
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10924

              #51
              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Is it possible that they created the GOP fervor that exists in Utah? I'm not saying the current GAs created it, just that previous ones likely incubated the staunch conservatism that exists in Utah today.
              I think the anti-communistic fervor of Benson had some impact but I think the real cause of the staunch conservativism in Utah, and within the mormon diaspora, is economic and social issues. The loss of mining/blue collar union jobs in Utah to more tech and service type of jobs coupled with various social issues (abortion, gay marriage) are the likely reasons mormons became much more conservatively entrenched. I think either here or on Cougarguard there was a thread about it.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

              I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

              Comment

              • Eddie
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 8098

                #52
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                http://www.salamandersociety.com/foyer/gamap/

                Provided on November 25, 2003 by the Election Clerks of Davis and Salt Lake Counties in Utah. See photos of GA's home by scrolling down.

                Name
                Calling
                County
                Party Affiliation
                Gordon B Hinckley Prophet Seer and Revelator Salt Lake None
                Thomas S Monson 1st Counselor 1st Pres Salt Lake Republican
                James E Faust 2nd Counselor 1st Pres Salt Lake None
                Boyd K Packer Acting Pres of the 12 Salt Lake None
                L Tom Perry Apostle Salt Lake Republican
                Russell M Nelson Apostle Salt Lake None
                Dallin H Oaks Apostle Salt Lake Republican
                M Russell Ballard Apostle Salt Lake None
                Joseph B Wirthlin Apostle Salt Lake None
                Richard G Scott Apostle Salt Lake None
                Robert D Hales Apostle Salt Lake Not registered
                Jeffrey R Holland Apostle Salt Lake Republican
                Henry B Eyring Apostle Davis Republican
                Eldred G Smith Church Patriarch Salt Lake None
                H David Burton Presiding Bishop Salt Lake Republican
                Cecil O Samuelson BYU President Salt Lake None
                Sheri Dew Pres Deseret Book Salt Lake Republican

                This info is old (and I'm not sure how reliable), but I think it makes a decent case that continued calling for political diversity among the church membership is not being adequately led from the top.
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                Assuming that this info is correct, 10 of the 17 are not listed as registered Republicans.
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                That's one way to spin it
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                That isn't spin, that's a fact. If you are trying to imply those that aren't registered primarly belong to one party or the other then THAT'S spin.
                You know - there is another way to look at this.

                Every election year there is a letter read over the pulpit encouraging people to vote in the elections.

                In 2003 the Republican primary became a closed election and only registered republicans could participate.

                So the vast majority on your least either A) Did not follow the direction of the prophet (including Gordon B. Hinkley not following his own direction) or...B) They are unregistered Democrats voting in the Democrat primary.

                Hmmmmmm

                I don't think I have ever voted a straight ballot in any election - at least not since I left my 20's. So I'm not sure party affiliation matters - at least not nearly as much as character and the primary issues of the candidate. The one place it does matter to me, I suppose, is that in Davis County the republican candidate is going to win. They just are. So for me to have a say in my elected official he behooves me to participate in the primary and caucuses as a Republican.

                Comment

                • happyone
                  Board Bookworm
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 5398

                  #53
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Based on my mission experiences, I would guess that a solid majority of LDS members in the UK belong to the Labour (liberal) Party. Napper or someone else that's lived there can chime in if my impression was correct or not.
                  My brother just moved back from England, he worked there for 4 yrs and was the HPGP Ldr in his ward, would agree with you. We've had this conversation a couple of times - FTR he also says the same things about the French and Germans

                  As an aside, when I was the ward clerk two of the bishops I servered were dems.

                  I may be small, but I'm slow.

                  A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                  Comment

                  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                    Time to camp
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26082

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    http://www.salamandersociety.com/foyer/gamap/

                    Provided on November 25, 2003 by the Election Clerks of Davis and Salt Lake Counties in Utah. See photos of GA's home by scrolling down.

                    Name
                    Robert D Hales Apostle Salt Lake Not registered

                    This info is old (and I'm not sure how reliable), but I think it makes a decent case that continued calling for political diversity among the church membership is not being adequately led from the top.
                    Robert D Hales has the right approach, don't vote. He just made a big move up my favorite apostle list.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

                    Comment

                    • LA Ute
                      Receiver of Memory
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19512

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      Is it possible that they created the GOP fervor that exists in Utah? I'm not saying the current GAs created it, just that previous ones likely incubated the staunch conservatism that exists in Utah today.
                      I don't really think so. That hard-core conservative wing started in 1976 with Reagan. It's not his fault, it's the extremely angry, very committed and generally (I know there are exceptions) unsophisticated folks who elevated him to quasi-GA status. The shift was fueled by Cleon Skousen and his Freemen Institute -- its name then. 1976 to 1980 was a very unpleasant time to be a mainstream (not moderate) Republican in Utah. Involvement in party matters required being closely involved with rude, self-righteous and generally insufferable people. (I've got stories.) I do not think the church can be blamed for that fervor. It's just a relatively small group of Utahns running wild with the culture of Utah, which of course is overwhelmingly influenced by the church. That same church produces Labour Party members in the U.K.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden


                      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #56
                        Originally posted by mUUser View Post
                        NOOOOOOOO!!!! Leave the poor guy alone. Deal with it yourself and let the man spend a couple of extra minutes with his family.
                        I hear you but if it gets to a point that a member feels uncomfortable being in a quorum meeting someone needs to give a little guidance to that EQP. You're right, probably not the bishop. Maybe the high councilor assigned to support that elders quorum. Just my opinion.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #57
                          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          I hear you but if it gets to a point that a member feels uncomfortable being in a quorum meeting someone needs to give a little guidance to that EQP. You're right, probably not the bishop. Maybe the high councilor assigned to support that elders quorum. Just my opinion.
                          I agree with you. But if the EQP needs to be told, then my guess is that it is a w.a.s.t.e. to tell him.

                          I had to tell some folks to knock it off during the Bush v Gore election...lots of anti-Democrat comments, lots of assumptions that everyone was going to vote Republican, etc. I voted for Bush in that one, btw.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...