How Doctors Die

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • doctorcoug
    To Win is to Honor Him
    • Jun 2009
    • 2273

    #31
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Just stop digging, dude. Stop.
    My point was a very valid point, if one understands the medicine. Many patients who arrest end up with heart failure, often severe. One of the hallmark treatments of heart failure is to optimize the beta blocker. A total daily dose of 50 mg of coreg is a massive amount of beta blockade, but is the correct management if one has severe heart failure. To give perspective, we start heart failure patients on a daily dose of around 6 mg, depending upon previous medications. We optimize based upon symptoms. Many just look at the pulse. I always ask, "how do you feel?"

    Patients often say, "doc, that heart pill makes me feel awful". Are they happy to be alive? Absolutely. Do they feel good? Rarely. Are they normal? Absolutely not.

    There are situations where living is worse than dying. As CC said, there are patients where this isn't the case. For the vast majority of our arrested patients (non-witnessed), living is worse than dying. Physicians talk about this all the time in the doctor's lounge, which is why many doctors die at home.
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

    "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25268

      #32
      Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
      My point was a very valid point, if one understands the medicine. Many patients who arrest end up with heart failure, often severe. One of the hallmark treatments of heart failure is to optimize the beta blocker. A total daily dose of 50 mg of coreg is a massive amount of beta blockade, but is the correct management if one has severe heart failure. To give perspective, we start heart failure patients on a daily dose of around 6 mg, depending upon previous medications. We optimize based upon symptoms. Many just look at the pulse. I always ask, "how do you feel?"

      Patients often say, "doc, that heart pill makes me feel awful". Are they happy to be alive? Absolutely. Do they feel good? Rarely. Are they normal? Absolutely not.

      There are situations where living is worse than dying. As CC said, there are patients where this isn't the case. For the vast majority of our arrested patients (non-witnessed), living is worse than dying. Physicians talk about this all the time in the doctor's lounge, which is why many doctors die at home.
      Or keep digging. Your choice.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • doctorcoug
        To Win is to Honor Him
        • Jun 2009
        • 2273

        #33
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Or keep digging. Your choice.
        I already have an overbearing mother...
        "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

        "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

        Comment

        • The Wankster
          It's not a tumor......
          • Dec 2008
          • 204

          #34
          Sorry for barging in here but I am one of those "patients" who would rather live with the side affects than die from the disease...
          I take a shit pile of medicine, every damn day, the alternative?

          While my Doctor sees no real improvement to me and yes I feel like crap at times, there is NO WAY I want to visit the next life yet.

          So I'll continue with the lisinopril, the aspirin, the water pills, the potassium, and the twice daily 25mg carvedilols....

          I will also take my chances that when my heart fibs out, my Medtronic MaximoII will do its $85,000.00 job and help me ride the lightning back to recovery...

          Sorry for the rant, carry on...
          Let's get on with the gettin' on....

          Comment

          • Jarid in Cedar
            CS Institutional Memory
            • Jun 2009
            • 13234

            #35
            Originally posted by The Wankster View Post
            Sorry for barging in here but I am one of those "patients" who would rather live with the side affects than die from the disease...
            I take a shit pile of medicine, every damn day, the alternative?

            While my Doctor sees no real improvement to me and yes I feel like crap at times, there is NO WAY I want to visit the next life yet.

            So I'll continue with the lisinopril, the aspirin, the water pills, the potassium, and the twice daily 25mg carvedilols....

            I will also take my chances that when my heart fibs out, my Medtronic MaximoII will do its $85,000.00 job and help me ride the lightning back to recovery...

            Sorry for the rant, carry on...
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

            -Rick Majerus

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25268

              #36
              Originally posted by The Wankster View Post
              Sorry for barging in here but I am one of those "patients" who would rather live with the side affects than die from the disease...
              I take a shit pile of medicine, every damn day, the alternative?

              While my Doctor sees no real improvement to me and yes I feel like crap at times, there is NO WAY I want to visit the next life yet.

              So I'll continue with the lisinopril, the aspirin, the water pills, the potassium, and the twice daily 25mg carvedilols....

              I will also take my chances that when my heart fibs out, my Medtronic MaximoII will do its $85,000.00 job and help me ride the lightning back to recovery...

              Sorry for the rant, carry on...
              Welcome to the club of those who do not understand the medicine!
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • UtahDan
                *
                • Nov 2008
                • 14496

                #37
                Originally posted by The Wankster View Post
                Sorry for barging in here but I am one of those "patients" who would rather live with the side affects than die from the disease...
                I take a shit pile of medicine, every damn day, the alternative?

                While my Doctor sees no real improvement to me and yes I feel like crap at times, there is NO WAY I want to visit the next life yet.

                So I'll continue with the lisinopril, the aspirin, the water pills, the potassium, and the twice daily 25mg carvedilols....

                I will also take my chances that when my heart fibs out, my Medtronic MaximoII will do its $85,000.00 job and help me ride the lightning back to recovery...

                Sorry for the rant, carry on...
                My dad walks around with a defibrillator too. Has for many years now in fact and enjoys a very high quality of life after a congestive heart failure that put his odds of meaningful recovery pretty low.

                I didn't take this conversation or the point of the article to be that people should just give up and die f they have to accept a reduced quality of life. I thought it was more along the lines that when it comes down to the point when most of the options have been exhausted and only misery inflicting-short term benefit-long shot treatments are left, most doctors don't opt for them. But I do appreciate your perspective as I know I would accept a much lower quality of life for myself if it meant that I could still be a husband, dad, etc. for longer.

                Comment

                • woot
                  Resident Science Cop
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5531

                  #38
                  I posted this in the Hitchens thread, but given the subject matter it seems a perfect supplement to the article under discussion in this thread:

                  Entertainment, TV, politics, celebrity, fashion, and beauty news and commentary.


                  It's hard for me to have a strong opinion on either side, but it seems important to have the conversation.

                  Comment

                  • doctorcoug
                    To Win is to Honor Him
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 2273

                    #39
                    Dementia, terminally ill with cancer, only nods for responses. Goes to a hospital and ends up on a vent. Truly tragic. Must be scared of death, because sounds like her quality of life sucks.

                    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                    "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                    Comment

                    • Donuthole
                      Official Outgayer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 25268

                      #40
                      Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                      Dementia, terminally ill with cancer, only nods for responses. Goes to a hospital and ends up on a vent. Truly tragic. Must be scared of death, because sounds like her quality of life sucks.

                      http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...11223?irpc=932
                      Excellent. Looks like this is going to become doctorcoug's official "Look how silly this person is for thinking they can beat the odds, too bad they're not as smart as any medical student" thread.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                      Comment

                      • doctorcoug
                        To Win is to Honor Him
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 2273

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        Excellent. Looks like this is going to become doctorcoug's official "Look how silly this person is for thinking they can beat the odds, too bad they're not as smart as any medical student" thread.
                        Goodbye. You are my first ignore.
                        "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                        "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                        Comment

                        • Viking
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 6470

                          #42
                          Moving to a town of less than 3,000 people is how doctors die.

                          Comment

                          • Donuthole
                            Official Outgayer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 25268

                            #43
                            Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                            Goodbye. You are my first ignore.
                            I'm honored. I'd ignore you, but your drivel is entertaining. So you've got that going for you, which is nice.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                            Comment

                            Working...