Crafting the new curriculum: LGBT in the classroom

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69716

    #16
    I am all for a law that seeks to avoid discrimination in the classroom. I am a little uneasy about forcing teachers to go out of their way to slant history in a certain way. History is always slanted I suppose, but it seems if we are piling on so many things that the tail will be wagging the dog soon.

    Faith, I would be very interested to read about your experiences as this goes on.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #17
      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      I am not sure I understand the law. Are educators supposed to talk about famous gays in history or gay history? Both? The article DDD referenced seems to indicate that there is no clear understanding on this. If the former I am not sure why it is relevant. Particularly when you're speculating on the sexuality of some people (like Langston Hughes from the article). That seems to be shoehorning to make a point like the last quote from the article says they want to avoid.

      I don't have much of a problem with educators discussing gays as they address civil rights in the classrooms. It seems silly that there should be a law to enforce such though. It also seems irresponsible for lawmakers to create this without any guidance to curriculum or how the thing will even be enforced.
      I think your questions are in line with the point of the article...nobody is entirely sure how to roll it out. since this effort seems to be aimed at increasing awareness, my guess is that the focus will be on gay Americans on history, as opposed to "gay history." the point you raise about speculation is a good one...it seems irresponsible to speculate on the sexuality of deceased people if the goal is to educate on a factual basis.

      You are correct that it seems silly that there should be a law requiring the incorporation of gays into public school curriculum, but maybe we think it is silly for different reasons, I don't know. You already see some people pulling their kids out of school over this. Not sure it would be an easy thing to teach statewide without a law mandating it.

      One of the most interesting bits in the article...this stuff won't hit textbooks until 2019! Maybe the urgency to start teaching it in January is a bit overblown in the article.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • The_Tick
        Made something of myself
        • Nov 2008
        • 7295

        #18
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Why is it a double standard? What is the double standard?
        I get frustrated by the whole system. The turning of a blind eye to people that are here illegally frustrates me.

        People get behind this issue and trumpet it like it is some great cause. They are breaking the law. I understand that where they live, life isn't that great. I get that they are wanting to make life better for them and their family. I completely understand.

        And I understand that the legal immigration route is a long drawn out process. But we should fix that process to make it a little easier. We shouldn't protect these folks, and make things easier for them when they are breaking the law.

        But I am for an amnesty system.

        1. Set a date for everyone that is currenlty here illegally to come to a government facility and register themselves as illegal. (Done by a certain date as to set a standard.)

        2. If you are a criminal, you are gone.

        3. If you don't register by a certain date, or show up after the deadline...you are gone. Repeat offenders get locked up...abroad.

        4. Once your family has registered, the US Gov. will help you streamline getting your citizenship. (New streamlined process.)


        Sounds easy enough to me.

        I have another idea that I will post in another thread.

        Comment

        Working...