Prison Sex As Punishment?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Prison Sex As Punishment?

    This is an interesting blog post about one person's experience in a low-security prison:
    Last month, I moved cross-country from St. Louis to the New York City area. The other night, a colleague invited me to a party. It was teeming with Brooklyn hipster-intellectual types - young college profs, Times reporters, social entrepreneurs, assorted do-gooders. The only person I knew was ...


    I used to belong to the camp that thought that things like the ending to [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeMeDihwyrg"]Sublime - Date Rape - YouTube[/nomedia] song were just punishments for crimes committed. However, I've since concluded that that's an additional punishment that's cruel and unusual, and that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. I don't feel that I could call myself Christian if I hoped for the rape and torture of a person, condemned or otherwise.

    What about yall? Am I right? Naive?
    47
    Yes, always
    4.26%
    2
    Yes, sometimes
    6.38%
    3
    No
    82.98%
    39
    Only for child molestors
    6.38%
    3
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • NorthwestUteFan
    אלוף
    • Oct 2010
    • 3384

    #2
    Not only no, but 'Oh my God, Hell No!!!' I won't condone that type of thing and believe the state should do what is necessary to prevent attacks.

    But that won't change the fact that it happens, and often in exchange for stuff/protection/etc.

    But then again I was in favor of putting Jeffrey Dahmer in with the general population...

    Comment

    • Jacob
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 6801

      #3
      I agree that there is an element of cruel and unusual to it and that the conditions that allow it in some prisons may very well rise to the level of being constitutionally suspect under the 8th amendment.

      Comment

      • Slim
        Straight Out the Trailer
        • Jul 2009
        • 1007

        #4
        Maybe it is because no one in my family has ever been the victim of a violent crime (or violent sex crime), but I'm not the type to want to severely punish criminals just to see them punished.

        I think people who commit crimes need to either be rehabilitated (if possible) or kept away from the general public (if rehabilitation is not possible).

        I think that, much of the time, prison as a form of punishment (and the stuff that goes on in there) is just a waste of taxpayer money.

        If we send people to prison, let's do it with the intent of keeping creeps off the streets. I care very little about whether they are being adequately punished as that affects me much less than just keeping them away from my family.

        Comment

        • snowcat
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 1348

          #5
          Rape should have no place in our penal system period.
          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

          Woot

          I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
          SU

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37996

            #6
            Originally posted by snowcat View Post
            Rape should have no place in our penile system period.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Eddie
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 8098

              #7
              I agree with those who say that prisoners should be protected from being raped. If that isn't the sentence they received - then it shouldn't be viewed as part of the punishment.

              That said - I recognize that there are certain risks associated with living with a population that has a higher than normal proportion of people who are violent criminals.

              And I think that - to a degree - folks who break the law need to consider that not being able to choose the neighborhood is part of the consequences of incarceration.


              And all of that aside - as someone who had some inside knowledge of a number of child sexual abuse perpetrators...let's just say that there are some for whom being taken advantage of in prison would be too good for them. I don't think it would be appropriate to sentence them to that as punishment - but neither would I feel bad if they happened to experience it. And - what the cops would've done to them if given the chance was much much worse.

              Comment

              • Devildog
                Motor Boatin' SOB
                • Oct 2010
                • 1239

                #8
                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                What about yall? Am I right? Naive?
                Hell yes, I think you're naive.

                You can tell people like this that you think prison rape ought to be ceased.

                They have next to nothing to lose.

                This guy killed the transportation officer that took him to the hospital.

                He probably doesn't care what you think.

                curtis-1.jpg
                "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                -Thucydides

                "Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                -Miyamoto Musashi

                Si vis pacem, para bellum

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37996

                  #9
                  I can't imagine any circumstances, whether in prison or the outside world, where I could get it up to rape a dude.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • New Mexican Disaster
                    Suomalainen
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4549

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I can't imagine any circumstances, whether in prison or the outside world, where I could get it up to rape a dude.
                    I am glad to hear that. I would seriously wonder about you if you could

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37996

                      #11
                      Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                      I am glad to hear that. I would seriously wonder about you if you could
                      Yeah. Whew!

                      But, apparently, there is no shortage of guys in prison that can. That's what I don't understand.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • YOhio
                        Hipster Mode
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26165

                        #12
                        Prison Sex is one of Tool's best songs.

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #13
                          Is there anyone more oversexed on this board than whatshappeningman?
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            Is there anyone more oversexed on this board than whatshappeningman?
                            I'm all talk.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • NorthwestUteFan
                              אלוף
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 3384

                              #15
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I can't imagine any circumstances, whether in prison or the outside world, where I could get it up to rape a dude.
                              A friend from high school has been in prison since 1995. (Remember the robbers dressed as clowns at the Million Dollar Saloon? That was him, his 'partner' in crime shot a cop).

                              He says 'everybody has needs. But you are only gay if you liked it'. That is the thought process.

                              I reread the article. Most of those guys were serving long sentences for drug possession. It seems to me that justice would be better served for those guys (the non violent ones) if they were instead convicted of a misdemeanor, sentenced to treatment and community service than to put them in prison for 5-20 years.
                              End soap box.

                              Comment

                              Working...