The Death of the Today Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Lol. 10 years later, and this still isn’t the own you think it is.
    Ok boomer.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

I always wondered why these shows exist and who watches them. I was just having a conversation with a friend about who watches late night talk shows. Morning shows perplex me even more. But I'll admit most of my time just goes to listening to music or podcasts so I'm probably the odd one out.
      I remember growing up we always had the tv on. Cartoons, morning shows, and then game shows. 5:30 world news, 6:00 local news, 10:00 local news. Mash. David Letterman. And whatever else fills in the blanks.

I rarely watch tv anymore. The missus streams certain shows in the evenings on her tablet that I will pay half attention to. Great British Baking Show, Gold Rush. And even less attention to Lego Masters, all the cooking competition shows from Food Network, and various Star Trek series.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        You guys actually watch those shows?
        We often have it on in the background while eating breakfast. We watch it on delay so we can skip ahead to stories of interest. The only part worth watching is the first 20 minutes or so before the first (looong) commercial break. After that it is mostly fluff pieces. First segment is a nice way to catch up on national/international news.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

My wife and I have been watching Today since we got married. We watch the local news to see what's happening and for the weather, then we get the morning's headlines from Today. After Meredith Viera left mostly we just complain about it. We love to make fun of Vicki Nguyen's obtuse recommendations (they're always upper, upper-middle-class stuff), to mock the chef segments, and to see how Craig gets passive-aggressive with his co-hosts. I really enjoy mocking Miguel Almaguer's narrator voice vs his live voice. His live voice is great. His narrating voice overly emotes to the point of comedy.
          I can't take Hoda Kotb seriously. I call her "Aunt Hoda". There is a reason they almost never let her do interviews.

Miguel Almaguer's narrator voice is hilarious. I sometimes mimic it as a joke with my wife when discussing some sort of breaking news. I can't believe they let him do that.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

We often have it on in the background while eating breakfast. We watch it on delay so we can skip ahead to stories of interest. The only part worth watching is the first 20 minutes or so before the first (looong) commercial break. After that it is mostly fluff pieces. First segment is a nice way to catch up on national/international news.
            You guys actually eat breakfast?
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I can't take Hoda Kotb seriously. I call her "Aunt Hoda". There is a reason they almost never let her do interviews.

Miguel Almaguer's narrator voice is hilarious. I sometimes mimic it as a joke with my wife when discussing some sort of breaking news. I can't believe they let him do that.
              Aunt Hoda is just adorable though. She's never going to be a good interviewer except of entertainers. What she does is add a bit of levity to the seriousness of Craig and Savannah. Al is nuts and I can't believe he's still on the air with the way he talks to his colleagues sometimes. He got really glib a few times before his cancer treatment started. I was thinking he might get fired.

As for Almaguer, why does HE think it works? His live voice is very strong and he's exceptionally well-spoken on live camera. Then he starts into that "People here are eMOtional over what's HAPpening. It's really hard to write it, you have to hear it to appreciate how dumb it sounds.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Miguel Almaguer's narration voice. When the story is really sad, he'll turn it up even more:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...s-151661637983
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Here's an old clip of Al giving Matt Lauer shit about getting Ann Curry fired:

Comment

Boomers. The whole lot of you.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Yo momma so old she got a sunburn when god said "Let there be light."

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Whoa. Devastating.

Comment

I used to love the Today show with Bryant Gumbel, Jane Pauley, and Willard Scott with the weather and the birthday shout outs. Gene Shallot chiming in with the movie reviews, too. I haven't really kept up with it since I was little, though, and stopped watching bc I started school. Is it still any good?
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            I used to love the Today show with Bryant Gumbel, Jane Pauley, and Willard Scott with the weather and the birthday shout outs. Gene Shallot chiming in with the movie reviews, too. I haven't really kept up with it since I was little, though, and stopped watching bc I started school. Is it still any good?

Comment

I watched it regularly bacin that time because my sixth-grade teacher gave us some kind of benefit for sharing news at the beginning of class. Haven't really watched it since.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

No, it's not good, but it's a tradition, and mostly I just want to know the weather since it can go from heat on in the morning to AC in the afternoon where I live. And, our station is in Myrtle Beach, so I have to pay attention to the coastal forecast vs the inland one.

Comment

Working...
                                X