I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    Ben’s a really nice and genuine guy, especially for a politician.
    Reminds me of another really nice and genuine guy that is a politician.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        Hey, your gif showed up for me! Today is a great day!
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Ben’s a really nice and genuine guy, especially for a politician.
          I guess I should qualify my statement of him being unlikable. He comes across that way on TV (the debates and tv ads).

I do expect him to win. But he takes too much credit for prosperity that happened while he was in office that had nothing to do with anything he did. But it's fair to say every politician does that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
            Today is a great day!
            Wrong thread.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              Looks like the anti-gerrymandering proposition is probably going to win. Good news for those who think the voters should choose their representatives rather than the other way around.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...r-prop-create/
              Unfortunate. It's a bad proposition.

Comment

• I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                  Unless your a partisan political operative, it’s not.

Comment

Only if you think reps should choose their voters rather than the other way around.

Comment

Unless your a partisan political operative, it’s not.
                      It doesn't stop gerrymandering. It just changes who is doing it.

Comment

Only if you think reps should choose their voters rather than the other way around.
                        Someone has to choose the voters . . .

Comment

Someone has to choose the voters . . .
                          It's not fair for it to be the current officeholders doing it to benefit themselves. That's the point. Whoever draws the lines should be someone who doesn't have as much of a dog in the fight. It's probably not possible to completely eliminate conflict of interest, but this adds a level of oversight to it. You mentioned earlier that Utah is 70% Republican. That shouldn't automatically entitle the GOP to get 100% of the representation. 70% probably deserves 3 seats, not all 4. Of course if you're a hardcore partisan you don't care. But you wouldn't like it if you lived in a liberal state and it was the reverse.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 11-01-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

It doesn't stop gerrymandering. It just changes who is doing it.
                            It's a much better alternative that has demonstrabiliy helped out the process in other states. It's a big blow against gerrymandering. Odd you see it as worse.

Comment

It's not fair for it to be the current officeholders doing it to benefit themselves. That's the point. Whoever draws the lines should be someone who doesn't have as much of a dog in the fight. It's probably not possible to completely eliminate conflict of interest, but this adds a level of oversight to it. You mentioned earlier that Utah is 70% Republican. That shouldn't automatically entitle the GOP to get 100% of the representation. 70% probably deserves 3 seats, not all 4. Of course if you're a hardcore partisan you don't care. But you wouldn't like it if you lived in a liberal state and it was the reverse.
                              I agree, but Utah is not 70% republican, at least not registered Republicans.

It should be done without splitting up counties, if possible, and that is possible in Utah.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The perils of gerrymandering are overblown.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X