No announcement yet.

I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the anti-gerrymandering proposition is probably going to win. Good news for those who think the voters should choose their representatives rather than the other way around.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...r-prop-create/

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      Looks like the anti-gerrymandering proposition is probably going to win. Good news for those who think the voters should choose their representatives rather than the other way around.

They should get an independent commission to draw up new ward boundaries for splits/realignments as well... Talk about gerrymandering.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        Looks like the anti-gerrymandering proposition is probably going to win. Good news for those who think the voters should choose their representatives rather than the other way around.

Ha, I love this part:

“It’s those Ronald Reagan ads they are running,” said Utah Senate Majority Leader Ralph Okerlund, R-Monroe, a Prop 4 opponent. Supporters’ ads show a video of the late president pushing for independent, bipartisan redistricting commissions to combat “un-American” gerrymandering.

“That has a lot of Utah Republicans thinking they are supporting something that is Republican,” Okerlund said. But he contends Prop 4 aims to help Democrats create a safe Democratic congressional district in Salt Lake County and give unelected officials who are not beholden to voters control of drawing districts.
        Republicans support it because they think it's a republican idea (which it was). I'm sure if there were ads of Clinton or Obama supporting it, then the Repubs would be against it by a plurality.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Speaking of Utah politics I did hold my nose and vote for Mitt, not like he needed it. I hope he has the backbone to challenge Trump at times. I think he’ll be an upgrade over Hatch.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            Speaking of Utah politics I did hold my nose and vote for Mitt, not like he needed it. I hope he has the backbone to challenge Trump at times. I think he’ll be an upgrade over Hatch.
            Frank, you could have just voted for the Libertarian! No need to hold your nose. I have a feeling that RMoney, like Lindsey, has turned into a Drumpf fanboy.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• So what’s going on with the Ben/Mia race? Everyone from Utah that I’ve talked to has said it has become an ugly, mudslinging fight, which surprises me given what I know about Ben. Are the ads on the television that bad?

I also noticed that Ben might even pull it out since he’s pretty much statistically tied with her. I’m hoping he does since I’d like more moderate Dems in the House.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                So what’s going on with the Ben/Mia race? Everyone from Utah that I’ve talked to has said it has become an ugly, mudslinging fight, which surprises me given what I know about Ben. Are the ads on the television that bad?

I also noticed that Ben might even pull it out since he’s pretty much statistically tied with her. I’m hoping he does since I’d like more moderate Dems in the House.
                What? Folks in Utah would vote for a Dem over a black woman that is a Republican? As Frank would say, "Stay Classy, Utah".
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  Frank, you could have just voted for the Libertarian! No need to hold your nose. I have a feeling that RMoney, like Lindsey, has turned into a Drumpf fanboy.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Legit LOL on UT mocking someone for being a Drumpf fanboy.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I’ve voted for Libertarians before but that was prior to that label seeming like it referred to individuals who are in the early stages of being altright. Also, they often run jokers like Superdell or Gary Johnson for office.

Comment

• Unless you are a registered Republican in Davis county (and vote in the primary or caucus), you don't have any say in who will be in the county offices

IIRC (I sent by ballot in last week) for the county offices - only one county commission race had an opponent and it wasn't a dem - the rest just had a republican nominee

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

So what’s going on with the Ben/Mia race? Everyone from Utah that I’ve talked to has said it has become an ugly, mudslinging fight, which surprises me given what I know about Ben. Are the ads on the television that bad?

Is he a moderate? My guess is he is to the left of Jim Matheson. Love just comes across as tired and not wanting to be bothered with campaigning. But Ben is full of shit and just isn't likeable (to me at least). I just moved out of that district. If I was still there I would seriously consider voting for Love instead of my usual libertarian/write in.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                            Is he a moderate? My guess is he is to the left of Jim Matheson. Love just comes across as tired and not wanting to be bothered with campaigning. But Ben is full of shit and just isn't likeable (to me at least). I just moved out of that district. If I was still there I would seriously consider voting for Love instead of my usual libertarian/write in.
                            Ben’s a really nice and genuine guy, especially for a politician.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              Ben’s a really nice and genuine guy, especially for a politician.
                              I agree with you but He’s a horrible debater. I watched his recent debate with Mia and his time seemed to be 90% dumb talking points. I still hope he wins though.

Comment

I agree with you but He’s a horrible debater. I watched his recent debate with Mia and his time seemed to be 90% dumb talking points. I still hope he wins though.
                                I haven’t watched any of the debates.

Comment

Working...
                                X