GAO stays total TARP cost now down to ~$25 billion...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • statman
    Rabblerouser
    • Aug 2009
    • 2799

    #1

    GAO stays total TARP cost now down to ~$25 billion...

    The lent/gave out ~$800 billion - $600 billion to banks, from which they've received about $725 billion back (yes - you read that right. A PROFIT of $125 billion - a 20%+ return, most of it paid back within a year at a time when interest rates were in the 2.5% range), and ~$200 billion to AIG and the auto companies (which they've gotten about $50 billion back).

    And they're still going to get a chunk of change from equities in banks (Citi & BoA will be windfalls of $10s of billions), and from further equity sales of the automakers.

    TARP will end-up costing the US taxpayer narry a penny - even if you want to play with NPV of the bailout it will still be positive for the US Treasury.

    I told you so...

    (or rather, I told CB so!)
  • Goatnapper'96
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10924

    #2
    Originally posted by statman View Post
    The lent/gave out ~$800 billion - $600 billion to banks, from which they've received about $725 billion back (yes - you read that right. A PROFIT of $125 billion - a 20%+ return, most of it paid back within a year at a time when interest rates were in the 2.5% range), and ~$200 billion to AIG and the auto companies (which they've gotten about $50 billion back).

    And they're still going to get a chunk of change from equities in banks (Citi & BoA will be windfalls of $10s of billions), and from further equity sales of the automakers.

    TARP will end-up costing the US taxpayer narry a penny - even if you want to play with NPV of the bailout it will still be positive for the US Treasury.

    I told you so...

    (or rather, I told CB so!)
    The cost to Utah will be much higher. It cost them a very senior, and capable IMO, Senator.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #3
      There were a lot of things wrong with TARP, but it's undeniable that the government injecting capital into the system at a very critical moment was a net positive.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Jarid in Cedar
        CS Institutional Memory
        • Jun 2009
        • 13234

        #4
        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
        The cost to Utah will be much higher. It cost them a very senior, and capable IMO, Senator.
        yep. The morons won again
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

        "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

        "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

        -Rick Majerus

        Comment

        • BlueHair
          Boom Bitches!!!
          • Nov 2008
          • 2894

          #5
          Originally posted by statman View Post
          The lent/gave out ~$800 billion - $600 billion to banks, from which they've received about $725 billion back (yes - you read that right. A PROFIT of $125 billion - a 20%+ return, most of it paid back within a year at a time when interest rates were in the 2.5% range), and ~$200 billion to AIG and the auto companies (which they've gotten about $50 billion back).

          And they're still going to get a chunk of change from equities in banks (Citi & BoA will be windfalls of $10s of billions), and from further equity sales of the automakers.

          TARP will end-up costing the US taxpayer narry a penny - even if you want to play with NPV of the bailout it will still be positive for the US Treasury.

          I told you so...

          (or rather, I told CB so!)
          Was it really paid back or was it just creative accounting? Some of that "repayment" was just an increase in market value of the shares the government owns. I don't understand why the government counts that as repayment. The government should get to sell the shares at current value and realize the profits. They are basically giving the profit back to the banks.
          Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #6
            http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=6278350
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • Jacob
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 6801

              #7
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              There were a lot of things wrong with TARP, but it's undeniable that the government injecting capital into the system at a very critical moment was a net positive.
              Undeniable? I can't imagine how that can possibly be demonstrated. There is simply no way to know what would have happened had we not injected the TARP capital.

              As far as Statman's link, I was quite skeptical when he posted it. And I wonder what he thinks about this:

              http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/12...ut-recipients/

              It says that less than half of the TARP disbursements have been repaid.

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #8
                Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                Undeniable? I can't imagine how that can possibly be demonstrated. There is simply no way to know what would have happened had we not injected the TARP capital.

                As far as Statman's link, I was quite skeptical when he posted it. And I wonder what he thinks about this:

                http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/12...ut-recipients/

                It says that less than half of the TARP disbursements have been repaid.
                Damn republicans and their stupid TARP.

                Well, at least democrats will came through with their $787B stimulus that will create "millions" of jobs and keep unemployment under 8%.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27878

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  Damn republicans and their stupid TARP.

                  Well, at least democrats will came through with their $787B stimulus that will create "millions" of jobs and keep unemployment under 8%.
                  The inflated unemployment numbers were not wholly the fault of the government, although they could have easily stemmed the tide of false expectations by giving clearer instructions on how to estimate how many jobs will be created by each project.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • statman
                    Rabblerouser
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2799

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    Undeniable? I can't imagine how that can possibly be demonstrated. There is simply no way to know what would have happened had we not injected the TARP capital.

                    As far as Statman's link, I was quite skeptical when he posted it. And I wonder what he thinks about this:

                    http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/12...ut-recipients/

                    It says that less than half of the TARP disbursements have been repaid.
                    There was a huge amount of collateral put up on many of the loans. The GAO must be counting the value of the collateral in the totals - which is a fully reasonable thing to do. Citi & BoA are both now going concerns which the governent owns huge stakes in - each worth tens of billions of dollars that's been 'unpaid.' GM & Chrysler are in the same boat - but I'm less convinced that either car maker is actually a going concern.

                    As to the 'undeniable' part - ask anyone involved in banking. It is undeniable. If you want to know what would have happened, we have two perfect examples - Washington Mutual and Wachovia. Both were shut down by the FDIC not because they were no longer capable of making money, but because they were incapable of meeting their required loan-loss reserves after the mortgage bubble burst and the huge MBS write-down that they had to take following the Lehman collapse.

                    There wasn't enough cash anywhere for our banks to meet those reserves. The options were 1) TARP, or 2) suspend banking reserve regulations, or 3) collapse world banking system and bring on a depression. And this decision had to be made within a matter of days, or 3) was the inevitable outcome.

                    Comment

                    • Jacob
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 6801

                      #11
                      Originally posted by statman View Post
                      As to the 'undeniable' part - ask anyone involved in banking. It is undeniable. If you want to know what would have happened, we have two perfect examples - Washington Mutual and Wachovia. Both were shut down by the FDIC not because they were no longer capable of making money, but because they were incapable of meeting their required loan-loss reserves after the mortgage bubble burst and the huge MBS write-down that they had to take following the Lehman collapse.

                      There wasn't enough cash anywhere for our banks to meet those reserves. The options were 1) TARP, or 2) suspend banking reserve regulations, or 3) collapse world banking system and bring on a depression. And this decision had to be made within a matter of days, or 3) was the inevitable outcome.
                      I remain unconvinced that we can know that the worldwide depression was the inevitable outcome. Maybe it was a likely outcome. You can't know what would have happened absent the intervention. I think that pretending you know is evidence that you are not coming at this objectively.

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                        I remain unconvinced that we can know that the worldwide depression was the inevitable outcome. Maybe it was a likely outcome. You can't know what would have happened absent the intervention. I think that pretending you know is evidence that you are not coming at this objectively.
                        I take it that you are unfamiliar with statman's professional background?
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • Moliere
                          One man.....one pie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 27878

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                          I remain unconvinced that we can know that the worldwide depression was the inevitable outcome. Maybe it was a likely outcome. You can't know what would have happened absent the intervention. I think that pretending you know is evidence that you are not coming at this objectively.
                          If moving from 100% to 99.9% moves you from inevitable to likely then I agree.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment

                          • Jacob
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 6801

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            I take it that you are unfamiliar with statman's professional background?
                            I am. Would that make a difference?

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                              I am. Would that make a difference?
                              Probably.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              Working...