On this day in 1970. The exploding Whale!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SteelBlue
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8190

    #1

    On this day in 1970. The exploding Whale!

    State government had to deal with a massive, dead, beached whale in Florence, Oregon. The problem was that the smell was driving tourists away and an animal that size wasn't going to rot slowly. So it was decided to blow the beast to smithereens using dynamite. I give you vintage footage of the wondrous event. It is worth watching the whole thing but if you're the impatient sort, skip to 1:30. The idea, of course, is now a famous failure but for a few shining moments it really looked like the plan was going to work. Enjoy!

    [YOUTUBE]1_t44siFyb4[/YOUTUBE]
  • Maximus
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 6026

    #2
    So what would the solution be nowadays?

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #3
      Nuke Willy!
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #4
        Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        So what would the solution be nowadays?
        You'd think they'd have some sort of bacteria they could spray on there that would assist in eating that thing up.... maybe spray it with lye or use a tugboat to drag the carcass out to sea and then sink it? Anything but the dumb ass thing they ended up doing.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #5
          couldn't they bring in a tugboat at high tide and just drag that thing out?
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • Coach McGuirk
            1
            • Nov 2008
            • 12109

            #6
            Reno 911: Miami!

            Comment

            • Clark Addison
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10314

              #7
              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
              So what would the solution be nowadays?
              Hopefully, the exact same thing.

              Comment

              • dabrockster
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 10957

                #8
                You think Speilberg would of done his homework for JAWS on this... The whole blowing up JAWS has new meaning now..

                [YOUTUBE]DAd8tCvtne8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

                Comment

                • UtahDan
                  *
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14496

                  #9
                  Awesome. Now I want to know what else you have marked on your calendar, SB.

                  Comment

                  • Color Me Badd Fan
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12519

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                    So what would the solution be nowadays?
                    Probably not blowing up the whale and causing some blubber chunks weighing hundreds of pounds to fly hundreds of feet in the air that could fall and kill someone on the ground.

                    Now, they'd probably have a few guys grab some chain saws and cut it up and then have some heavy machinery pick up the pieces and drop them into some dump trucks and haul it off somewhere.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      Probably not blowing up the whale and causing some blubber chunks weighing hundreds of pounds to fly hundreds of feet in the air that could fall and kill someone on the ground.

                      Now, they'd probably have a few guys grab some chain saws and cut it up and then have some heavy machinery pick up the pieces and drop them into some dump trucks and haul it off somewhere.
                      Mike Rowe would definitely be involved somehow.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • LiveCoug
                        LA Ute loves me
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 18489

                        #12
                        One of my favorite strange story vids ever.

                        Comment

                        • Lost Student
                          BAND!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4324

                          #13
                          I remember downloading this video from my dorm room my freshman year at BYU. Coming from dial-up Internet at my parents' home, I was very impressed with the >500 kb/s download speed. Also impressed with the exploding whale.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

                          Comment

                          • San Juan Sun
                            Kicked to the curb
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 9214

                            #14
                            I liked how the dynamite was transported like a cord of wood, just stacked in that tractor haphazardly. I also liked that children were roaming around while the dynamite was being placed.

                            There's no way this would ever, ever fly in 2010 America (much to my disappointment).
                            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                            - Ty Cobb

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #15
                              That video is more awesome each time I see it.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              Working...