Global Warming: "Pseudoscientific Fraud"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #91
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thanks. That link confirms you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

    This is not a regression analysis. There is no linear extrapolation. These are physical models involving solutions to a complex series of differential equations solved on supercomputers. You pick a set of parameters and conditions and you get a solution such as one of the colored lines. They you tweak the parameters to get a different set of equally probable solutions and eventually you end up with a range of solutions. From those solutions you can begin to understand the long-term trends and the most likely outcomes. There is not a climate modeler anywhere that would point to a single projection and claim that that specific trend is the future, so you can stop beating that strawman to death.
    I'm just impressed you finally made a substantive post on this topic. About bloody time.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #92




      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69752

        #93
        Indy, don't forget to show that there was a lot of CO2 when the dinosaurs were around. Of course, there were no polar ice caps either, but it is a nice red herring anyway.

        Also, you should trot out that story about scientific consensus about global cooling in the 70s. Most people may not realize or may have forgotten or that it's bullshit. That one is always good for a laugh or two.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • SandYFan
          Junior Member
          • May 2013
          • 754

          #94
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Indy, don't forget to show that there was a lot of CO2 when the dinosaurs were around. Of course, there were no polar ice caps either, but it is a nice red herring anyway.

          Also, you should trot out that story about scientific consensus about global cooling in the 70s. Most people may not realize or may have forgotten or that it's bullshit. That one is always good for a laugh or two.
          What are you doing to avert the oncoming weather apocalypse?

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69752

            #95
            Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
            What are you doing to avert the oncoming weather apocalypse?
            Go back and read this thread.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #96
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Indy, don't forget to show that there was a lot of CO2 when the dinosaurs were around. Of course, there were no polar ice caps either, but it is a nice red herring anyway.

              Also, you should trot out that story about scientific consensus about global cooling in the 70s. Most people may not realize or may have forgotten or that it's bullshit. That one is always good for a laugh or two.
              While I'm rooting around for that information, if you could show what caused the dramatic, multi-millennial warmup from the last Ice Age, that would be helpful. Divide and conquer.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69752

                #97
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                While I'm rooting around for that information, if you could show what caused the dramatic, multi-millennial warmup from the last Ice Age, that would be helpful. Divide and conquer.
                What is the point?

                Let me help you out with a little logic. Just because there have been significant swings in temp and CO2 over the full span of geologic history, that doesn't mean that man is incapable of significantly altering the climate via CO2 emissions.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • SandYFan
                  Junior Member
                  • May 2013
                  • 754

                  #98
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Go back and read this thread.
                  Read the thread. Things I noticed:

                  1. You're kind of a dick in this thread.

                  2. You never said what you are personally doing to avert the ongoing weather apocalypse, yet you seem to be a fervent believer in its coming.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69752

                    #99
                    Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                    Read the thread. Things I noticed:

                    1. You're kind of a dick in this thread.
                    I am kind of a dick in every thread.

                    Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                    2. You never said what you are personally doing to avert the ongoing weather apocalypse, yet you seem to be a fervent believer in its coming.
                    You must have missed these two posts:

                    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100058265/us-physics-professor-global-warming-is-the-greatest-and-most-successful-pseudoscientific-fraud-i-have-seen-in-my-long-life/


                    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100058265/us-physics-professor-global-warming-is-the-greatest-and-most-successful-pseudoscientific-fraud-i-have-seen-in-my-long-life/
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • SandYFan
                      Junior Member
                      • May 2013
                      • 754

                      #100
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski
                      You must have missed these two posts:
                      Nah, I read them. I just wanted confirmation that you're doing nothing because there's nothing we can do.

                      I wish more believers had your attitude.

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #101
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        What is the point?

                        Let me help you out with a little logic. Just because there have been significant swings in temp and CO2 over the full span of geologic history, that doesn't mean that man is incapable of significantly altering the climate via CO2 emissions.
                        y = ax + b?
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • ERCougar
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10978

                          #102
                          Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                          What are you doing to avert the oncoming weather apocalypse?
                          Again...what are you doing to save the human race from eternal damnation?

                          I'm probably interrupting your temple session. Or your missionary splits. Apologies.

                          Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                          Comment

                          • SandYFan
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2013
                            • 754

                            #103
                            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            Again...what are you doing to save the human race from eternal damnation?

                            I'm probably interrupting your temple session. Or your missionary splits. Apologies.

                            Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                            In fact, you are. But I forgive you.

                            Comment

                            • ERCougar
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10978

                              #104
                              Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                              In fact, you are. But I forgive you.
                              I wish more believers had your attitude.

                              Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                              Comment

                              • old_gregg
                                scaly man fish
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 16915

                                #105
                                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                                There's also very good reasons scientists shouldn't do linear extrapolations when predicting future global temperatures using a data set that spans only 15, 30, 50 or even 100 years.
                                sure, but are temps the model's only input (i genuinely don't know)? why the assumption that it's a linear growth function?

                                i just don't get the defense that "co2 and temp have both fluctuated in the past." that's true, but it doesn't preclude anthropogenic activity increasing the size of those swings. is the fact that co2 is at a level 25% higher than the next highest level in recorded history (400k years) just a coincidence? even if there is some doubt about the strength of the causal link the magnitude of the problems climate change entails is large enough that it at least merits a discussion.

                                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                                Indy with the scientific smackdown.
                                ...not science
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                                Comment

                                Working...