Russia in color, a century ago

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BoylenOver
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 9146

    #1

    Russia in color, a century ago



    Based on the quality of the photos, you'd think these were taken yesterday.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute
  • beefytee
    Board eye candy
    • Mar 2009
    • 7542

    #2
    People stayed really covered up back then.

    Most everyone even wears some form of headgear.

    Comment

    • RobinFinderson
      Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 10548

      #3
      Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      People stayed really covered up back then.

      Most everyone even wears some form of headgear.
      It was colder then, what with global warming.

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #4
        I was sure I had posted in this thread when you first did it, thanking you for linking to it. Fascinating stuff.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          Terrific photos.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #6
            breathtaking. I've always enjoyed black and white era photos, but the richness of the colors in these are just incredible and it really adds a new dimension to the period.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • Bastage
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 298

              #7
              Black and white photos always have a feel of an image frozen in time. Color photos make the past come alive.

              Comment

              • creekster
                It is NOT a monkey!
                • Nov 2008
                • 22661

                #8
                Those are fantastic photos. To give credit where due, however, I feel opbligated to note that CMBF posted a link to these on a nother paper's site a few weeks ago:



                I did enjoy viewing them again. Thanks.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                Comment

                • Green Lantern
                  Has overcome great fear
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 2289

                  #9
                  Those are amazing. Thanks for posting.
                  Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                  None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                  I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                  --Portland Ute

                  Comment

                  • oxcoug
                    Dolphins Rape Hipsters
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 5309

                    #10
                    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...ntury_ago.html

                    Based on the quality of the photos, you'd think these were taken yesterday.

                    Saw this, mindblowing. What's most striking is how much more tangible the people feel because of the color. B&W photography has a way of fading people into a time that you don't relate to. The color removes that barrier.

                    Some amazing images in there.
                    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

                    It can't all be wedding cake.

                    Comment

                    Working...