13th Juror Doctrine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13th Juror Doctrine

This is big news today in these parts, you'll see why when you read the link:

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=470123

Apparently, in South Carolina, if the judge thinks that the juror reached an incorrect verdict, he/she can set aside the decision, prompting a potential retrying of the case. I'm wondering if any of CUF's attorneys know if this is a nation-wide practice, and if the lad who was found not-guilty is covered by double-jeopardy after one not-guilty finding?

I don't know enough about this to know where to look to find the answer.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    This is big news today in these parts, you'll see why when you read the link:

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=470123

Apparently, in South Carolina, if the judge thinks that the juror reached an incorrect verdict, he/she can set aside the decision, prompting a potential retrying of the case. I'm wondering if any of CUF's attorneys know if this is a nation-wide practice, and if the lad who was found not-guilty is covered by double-jeopardy after one not-guilty finding?

I don't know enough about this to know where to look to find the answer.
    Judges can do that all over, but rarely do. I believe the standard is that no reasonable jury could have decided as they did. Double jeopardy doesn't attach as there actually was no finding of not-guilty. The verdict was not entered.

Comment

Yep, it applies in California. The judge does sit as a 13th juror, and can order a new trial if he's convinced the jury got it wrong.

However, it's pretty rare that it actually happens.
      If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
        Yep, it applies in California. The judge does sit as a 13th juror, and can order a new trial if he's convinced the jury got it wrong.

However, it's pretty rare that it actually happens.
        Thanks, yall. Just wondering though if the same judge gets to sit on the next trial, and if so, could a judge conceivably do it again if the next jury reached the same decision?
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
        X