NYT: The Inches That Matter

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #1

    NYT: The Inches That Matter

    NYT recently featured an excellent video in which a camera crew follows a ground patrol in Iraq as they come under Sniper Fire. One of the soldiers gets hit in the arm, and is lucky to survive. The narrator talks about The Inches That Matter, which is also the title of the video. Had the bullet pierced a few inches left or right, the outcome would have been very different.

    Though it is hardly mentioned, the ground patrol calls in an attack against a building where they suspect the fire is coming from. I forget if it is US or Iraqi troops that level the place (I'm at school, and unable to watch the video again right now), but they destroy the wrong building, and kill at least ten people unrelated to the sniper fire. These kinds of things happen, and I can't blame them on any choice made by anyone in the field. It was an accident, but it is an accident that begs the question: Does our presence in Iraq do more harm or good?

    Watch the video. It is very interesting, and offers plenty to think about for folks of any political persuasion.
    Last edited by RobinFinderson; 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM.
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #2
    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    NYT recently featured an excellent video in which a camera crew follows a ground patrol in Iraq as they come under Sniper Fire. One of the soldiers gets hit in the arm, and is lucky to survive. The narrator talks about The Inches That Matter, which is also the title of the video. Had the bullet pierced a few inches left or right, the outcome would have been very different.

    Though it is hardly mentioned, the ground patrol calls in an attack against a building where they suspect the fire is coming from. I forget if it is US or Iraqi troops that level the place (I'm at school, and unable to watch the video again right now), but they destroy the wrong building, and kill at least ten people unrelated to the sniper fire. These kinds of things happen, and I can't blame them on any choice made by anyone in the field. It was an accident, but it is an accident that begs the question: Does our presence in Iraq do more harm or good?

    Watch the video. It is very interesting, and offers plenty to think about for folks of any political persuasion.
    This is in Afghanistan, Robin.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • RobinFinderson
      Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 10548

      #3
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      This is in Afghanistan, Robin.
      Why yes it is! I had watched it earlier this morning, and only had a chance to post about it right now, so please pardon the error. Folks would find the video fascinating whether in Iraq or Afghanistan.

      Comment

      • creekster
        It is NOT a monkey!
        • Nov 2008
        • 22661

        #4
        The question you contend this video begs is not easily or properly answered by considering just this bit of evidence.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

        Comment

        • RobinFinderson
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 10548

          #5
          Originally posted by creekster View Post
          The question you contend this video begs is not easily or properly answered by considering just this bit of evidence.
          I agree. But it certainly begs the question. Our troops should definitely be able to defend themselves, and in war there is always the risk of causing collateral damage. In this instance the mistake cost the lives of 10 people (if I am remembering right). At some point we will be doing more harm than good. If the collateral damage referenced in this video is unusual, then maybe we are still on the side of good. If this is commonplace, then it is hard to imagine a near future when ALL Afghanis become militant against our presence. We may have already reached a point in Afghanistan where there are two kinds of hostiles -- those who are sympathetic with the Taliban and Al Qaeda, and those who simply want the US out of their country.

          Comment

          • Lost Student
            BAND!
            • Nov 2008
            • 4324

            #6
            Has "begs the question" been so misused that it now just means the same thing as "raises the question"? I am not trying to attack Robin but I see "begs the question" used incorrectly almost every day, including by many other lawyers.

            This forum has many people that are adamantly protective of the use of certain words ("I know" in gospel contexts), so I'm sure other people are more bothered by it than I am. Or maybe I'm totally wrong about the meaning of "begs the question."

            FTR, the phrase used to mean to assume facts not proven.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

            Comment

            • beefytee
              Board eye candy
              • Mar 2009
              • 7542

              #7
              Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
              Has "begs the question" been so misused that it now just means the same thing as "raises the question"?
              Yes

              Comment

              • SoCalCoug
                Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                • Nov 2008
                • 5214

                #8
                Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                Has "begs the question" been so misused that it now just means the same thing as "raises the question"? I am not trying to attack Robin but I see "begs the question" used incorrectly almost every day, including by many other lawyers.

                This forum has many people that are adamantly protective of the use of certain words ("I know" in gospel contexts), so I'm sure other people are more bothered by it than I am. Or maybe I'm totally wrong about the meaning of "begs the question."

                FTR, the phrase used to mean to assume facts not proven.
                It's the chicken and the egg. Is it pervasive misuse of the phrase, or has the phrase's meaning evolved to mean something else? Does English usage follow the rules, or do the rules describe common usage?
                If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37988

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                  Has "begs the question" been so misused that it now just means the same thing as "raises the question"? I am not trying to attack Robin but I see "begs the question" used incorrectly almost every day, including by many other lawyers.

                  This forum has many people that are adamantly protective of the use of certain words ("I know" in gospel contexts), so I'm sure other people are more bothered by it than I am. Or maybe I'm totally wrong about the meaning of "begs the question."

                  FTR, the phrase used to mean to assume facts not proven.
                  Its a major pet peeve of mine, or at least it used to be. I can't recall the last time I've seen it used correctly, so I've decided to assume that the meaning has now changed to "raises the question." I've even heard it misused on major network news broadcasts (e.g. NBC even news).
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • RobinFinderson
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10548

                    #10
                    The 'begs the question' question is interesting. Honestly, I had forgotten the origin of the phrase (if I ever knew it, though I'm pretty sure I would have learned it in high school, as part of the debate team).

                    I am firmly in the camp that says meaning isn't fixed, and is a byproduct of usage, so I have no problem with the fact that 'begs the question' now means 'raises the question' for most people. On the other hand, I'm glad to know the original meaning, and will look for a chance to use it in that context too.

                    Comment

                    • Lost Student
                      BAND!
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4324

                      #11
                      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      The 'begs the question' question is interesting. Honestly, I had forgotten the origin of the phrase (if I ever knew it, though I'm pretty sure I would have learned it in high school, as part of the debate team).

                      I am firmly in the camp that says meaning isn't fixed, and is a byproduct of usage, so I have no problem with the fact that 'begs the question' now means 'raises the question' for most people. On the other hand, I'm glad to know the original meaning, and will look for a chance to use it in that context too.
                      FWIW, sorry for the threadjack. The question you raise in your post is a good one.
                      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37988

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                        FWIW, sorry for the threadjack. The question you raise in your post is a good one.
                        I think you mean "the question you beg in your post is a good one."
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Lost Student
                          BAND!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4324

                          #13


                          Ha, I did that on purpose.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

                          Comment

                          Working...