The 2010 Census...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #46
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I just got a call from the Census Bureau telling me that if I wouldn't come to the final day of a six-day training series on the Saturday of Coker's graduation (I told them that I was contractually-bound to be there) that they couldn't "offer me" the position.

    This, after I was recruited by them.
    This, after I sat through that painfully slow "get registered" meeting.
    This, after someone asked me if I was Jewish because I couldn't work Sundays.
    This, after wasting some 8 hours of my life trying to make a difference in the Hispanic count this time.

    "Offer me?" I wanted to tell her, "YALL RECRUITED ME."

    She then said that "I'm not sure, but I think that replacement enumerator training begins the following week."

    I said, "I speak Spanish better than anyone in the county and I was an enumerator in 2000. I won't be interested in waiting. If you're not willing to make an exception, neither am I."

    I think you may want to look into anger management training.

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27893

      #47
      Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
      There are 28 questions; passing is 10. No that is not a typo; 26.3% correct is passing.
      Is it a multiple choice test with 4 potential answers to each question? If so, that is pretty much the coolest thing I've seen. I bet VY couldn't pass it.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #48
        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        I think you may want to look into anger management training.
        It's also scheduled during graduation.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • Jarid in Cedar
          CS Institutional Memory
          • Jun 2009
          • 13234

          #49
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          It's also scheduled during graduation.
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

          -Rick Majerus

          Comment

          • LiveCoug
            LA Ute loves me
            • Nov 2008
            • 18489

            #50
            finally mailed ours off today

            Comment

            • Eddie
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 8098

              #51
              Last week we got our 5th home visit from a census person. She just wanted to make sure that we've already sent in our census and that no one is living in the basement.

              This was our first woman visitor, the other five visitors have all been men (two of them came together, so we've had 5 visits and 6 visitors).

              I've been the one who answered the door each of the 5 times. Each of the 6 people has been different - no duplicate visitors.

              I figured we were done with visits, but when another one came I couldn't help but update the thread.



              FWIW - if it takes 6 different census employees to visit my home, I'm going with the over as far as whether or not there are 60K people employed by the census.

              Comment

              • Color Me Badd Fan
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 12519

                #52
                Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                Last week we got our 5th home visit from a census person. She just wanted to make sure that we've already sent in our census and that no one is living in the basement.

                This was our first woman visitor, the other five visitors have all been men (two of them came together, so we've had 5 visits and 6 visitors).

                I've been the one who answered the door each of the 5 times. Each of the 6 people has been different - no duplicate visitors.

                I figured we were done with visits, but when another one came I couldn't help but update the thread.



                FWIW - if it takes 6 different census employees to visit my home, I'm going with the over as far as whether or not there are 60K people employed by the census.
                It sounds like the census takers are more thorough than my dad's extended family who did some temple work for an ancestor only to find out that later that the ancestor had been baptized and endowed about 25 times.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                Comment

                • Fiyero
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5266

                  #53
                  Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  Last week we got our 5th home visit from a census person. She just wanted to make sure that we've already sent in our census and that no one is living in the basement.

                  This was our first woman visitor, the other five visitors have all been men (two of them came together, so we've had 5 visits and 6 visitors).

                  I've been the one who answered the door each of the 5 times. Each of the 6 people has been different - no duplicate visitors.

                  I figured we were done with visits, but when another one came I couldn't help but update the thread.

                  FWIW - if it takes 6 different census employees to visit my home, I'm going with the over as far as whether or not there are 60K people employed by the census.
                  There's been a great deal of fraud surrounding this year's census. I hope you didn't give out SS#s or bank info.

                  Comment

                  • All-American
                    Right, as Usual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 15673

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                    Last week we got our 5th home visit from a census person. She just wanted to make sure that we've already sent in our census and that no one is living in the basement.

                    This was our first woman visitor, the other five visitors have all been men (two of them came together, so we've had 5 visits and 6 visitors).

                    I've been the one who answered the door each of the 5 times. Each of the 6 people has been different - no duplicate visitors.

                    I figured we were done with visits, but when another one came I couldn't help but update the thread.



                    FWIW - if it takes 6 different census employees to visit my home, I'm going with the over as far as whether or not there are 60K people employed by the census.
                    Next time they come over, ask them to wait in the living room, then return with a large knife, some fava beans, a bottle of Chianti, and an icy, chilling glare:

                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #55
                      A Census worker was arrested for trespassing in Hawaii. (Note: the article says Big Island, and the map points to Oahu.)

                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • il Padrino Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19161

                        #56
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        A Census worker was arrested for trespassing in Hawaii. (Note: the article says Big Island, and the map points to Oahu.)

                        http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...zxZSQD9GOUPK80
                        Good. Federal workers need to respect private property.
                        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #57
                          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                          Good. Federal workers need to respect private property.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #58
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            Well, I'm happy to oblige; however, we both know I'm correct.
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • Maximus
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 6025

                              #59
                              Lol I love people who are afraid of giving their name !!!!!! to the government. The horror!

                              No one is going to use the info to hurt you. THe government is not out to get you.

                              .this said after reading the first few posts on first page,

                              Comment

                              • Maximus
                                Senior Member
                                • Sep 2009
                                • 6025

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                                They also asked you to support Prop 8. Hopefully soon they will issue their annual "Time to start mowing the lawn" or "Be sure and clean the bathrooms this week" edicts.

                                I'm a supporter of the census, it's a law that a census has to be performed and that's fine with me. I'll answer their questions, but I might try and make my kids latino this year since maybe if I get it on public record they will qualify for those latino based scholarships to college (tic). However, I am skeptical by nature and therefore want to know the reasons that any information is being collected.

                                My skepticism has some foundation. I'm currently filling out a survey from the Census Bureau that asks a lot of questions about my companies R&D expenses for the past year. A couple years ago this was a short and simple survey that asked for total dollars spend on R&D expenses. I'm fine providing that information because it should be publicly accessible anyway thorugh SEC filings. However this year the survey now breaks out expenses by state, function, reporting unit, internal vs. contractor, etc. It's getting ridiculous and I want to know why they need all the parsing of information. No real good reason is given.
                                Not all surveys fromt he census are required. Only the 2010 census. The survey mentioned above is not the 2010 census.

                                Comment

                                Working...