Letter I got concerning Sheriff Qualifications

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • grapevine
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1990

    #1

    Letter I got concerning Sheriff Qualifications

    OUr county had a guy run for sheriff owned a bar and had no law enforcement expereince whatsoever. Fortuntly he did not get voted. I wrote to a state senator about how they should be qualified. Here was her response she is filling in for her husband who had brain surgery.

    Grapevine thanks for contacting me regarding qualifications for county sheriff candidates. I understand your fear that our democratic process allows for anyone despite experience and expertise to run for public office, as you noted however this candidate was not elected given credit to the voters in Lincoln County.

    Our election laws allow candidates to run on platforms of there choice and members of the public to voice there concern. about those proposed policies. I encourage you to be active in the process and voice your concerns.

    I told them that a sheriff should have law enforcement experience and not anyone to set things straight should run. Fortunatly that person did not win and hope someone with experience does win if he runs again.
  • frank ryan
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12365

    #2
    Originally posted by grapevine View Post
    OUr county had a guy run for sheriff owned a bar and had no law enforcement expereince whatsoever. Fortuntly he did not get voted. I wrote to a state senator about how they should be qualified. Here was her response she is filling in for her husband who had brain surgery.

    Grapevine thanks for contacting me regarding qualifications for county sheriff candidates. I understand your fear that our democratic process allows for anyone despite experience and expertise to run for public office, as you noted however this candidate was not elected given credit to the voters in Lincoln County.

    Our election laws allow candidates to run on platforms of there choice and members of the public to voice there concern. about those proposed policies. I encourage you to be active in the process and voice your concerns.

    I told them that a sheriff should have law enforcement experience and not anyone to set things straight should run. Fortunatly that person did not win and hope someone with experience does win if he runs again.
    Grape I don't know how I feel about sheriff being an elected office, especially in a small county like yours. I'm glad that saloon owner did not win.

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #3
      Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      Grape I don't know how I feel about sheriff being an elected office, especially in a small county like yours. I'm glad that saloon owner did not win.
      I think I'd be more concerned about a state legislature that allows spouses to sit in for ailing senators!

      Comment

      • frank ryan
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 12365

        #4
        Originally posted by Babs View Post
        I think I'd be more concerned about a state legislature that allows spouses to sit in for ailing senators!
        Fair point, but still it sounds like Idaho has a leg up on Utah where I have been lucky to get an answered email from one of our partisan voting-machines that function as lawmakers.

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15665

          #5
          Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Fair point, but still it sounds like Idaho has a leg up on Utah where I have been lucky to get an answered email from one of our partisan voting-machines that function as lawmakers.
          Really? To whom have you written and not gotten a response? That kind of surprises me.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #6
            Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            Fair point, but still it sounds like Idaho has a leg up on Utah where I have been lucky to get an answered email from one of our partisan voting-machines that function as lawmakers.
            I always get an answer. But then, I use the USPS and all the words are cut out from various magazines.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • frank ryan
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 12365

              #7
              Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
              I always get an answer. But then, I use the USPS and all the words are cut out from various magazines.
              LOL!

              Comment

              • frank ryan
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12365

                #8
                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                Really? To whom have you written and not gotten a response? That kind of surprises me.
                I have listed them in PM, on another note Orrin Hatch does a better job and responding to emails than Bob Bennett in my experience.

                Comment

                • I.J. Reilly
                  Nobody's Fool
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2949

                  #9
                  Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  I have listed them in PM, on another note Orrin Hatch does a better job and responding to emails than Bob Bennett in my experience.
                  This, too, has been my experience with Bennett and Hatch. Hatch's letter also was closer to what I actually wrote about, although still not totally on point.

                  Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in Nevada (among other states) one does not have to be a lawyer to be a judge. From what I have heard, this has presented some interesting situations.

                  Comment

                  Working...