WH Official does an Op-ed piece in USA Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dabrockster
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 10964

    #1

    WH Official does an Op-ed piece in USA Today

    Not sure what I think about it, but I hope he got Obama's permission first... To me it seems like he is getting down in the mud rather then staying above the dirt... I think it is bad for Obama and good for those in opposition of Obama..

    What are your thoughts..

    Link:
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...-al-qaeda.html

    Another interesting story about Anti-terrorist procedures under Obama..

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ctions_opinion
    Last edited by dabrockster; 02-09-2010, 07:10 AM.
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    When will this administration just man up and admit that it blew it in regard to the Christmas Day bomber?

    And why are terrorists given Miranda rights? I still don't understand the reason for it.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #3
      The bums are all alike. They whine and moan about national security when the other side attacks their guy. What did prominant democrats like Kennedy, Pelosi, Reed, Gore, et.al. call Bush. They didn't just argue his policy, they called him a liar and worse. The republicans cried foul.

      Now the shoe is on the other foot and the democrats are crying foul and of course the republicans are doing what they whined that democrats did.

      Of course the main street media piles on when the dems whine about Bush but take a more "fair and balanced" approach when the repubs whine about Obama.

      The whole lot of them are making me sicker and sicker. Of course, I do realize I am stupid and they are all smart, but they bug me anyway.

      Comment

      • BoylenOver
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 9146

        #4
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Of course, I do realize I am stupid and they are all smart, but they bug me anyway.
        You should've led with that.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #5
          Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
          You should've led with that.
          It was a throw away trolling line cross referencing another thread. I usually throw those in at the end. If I had been sincere, I would have lead with it.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            When will this administration just man up and admit that it blew it in regard to the Christmas Day bomber?

            And why are terrorists given Miranda rights? I still don't understand the reason for it.
            They are human beings, no matter how vile and evil their crimes.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #7
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              They are human beings, no matter how vile and evil their crimes.
              Where do you draw the line though. If I truly believe without Miranda rights we could get information to save innocent American lives, do you believe the "higher" concept of "they are human beings" outweighs that?

              Comment

              • Goatnapper'96
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10924

                #8
                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                They are human beings, no matter how vile and evil their crimes.
                What does that mean? I am anti torture and believe treating human beings that are no longer combatants humanely (if they are a combatant then you kill them), but are you suggesting that the only humane treatment of a captured enemy combatment or terrorist includes all the rights afforded US citizens in a criminal trial?

                Are you saying that the military form of justice has always been inhumane and cruel or are you saying that terrorists should not be tried in military tribunals?

                Right now it just comes across as some fluffy kumbaya response.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

                Comment

                • Goatnapper'96
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10924

                  #9
                  Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  They are human beings, no matter how vile and evil their crimes.
                  Says the university professor whose most threatening occupational hazzard is the paper cut!

                  Sorry Wuap, "they" would take back my class ring if I didn't drop a condescending response towards a full on Athens type in this scenario!
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

                  I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    What does that mean? I am anti torture and believe treating human beings that are no longer combatants humanely (if they are a combatant then you kill them), but are you suggesting that the only humane treatment of a captured enemy combatment or terrorist includes all the rights afforded US citizens in a criminal trial?

                    Are you saying that the military form of justice has always been inhumane and cruel or are you saying that terrorists should not be tried in military tribunals?

                    Right now it just comes across as some fluffy kumbaya response.
                    Well, I'm referring specifically to the case of the Christmas bomber in formulating my response. If we arrest them via a civil authority, then they have the Miranda rights. If the military arrests them, then I have no problem with military justice, because, it is just. I assume that the military has a statement similar to the Miranda warning. Miranda is not just for US citizens.

                    In my mind, if you want to go to war, you don a uniform and declare your intentions. The Geneva convention is very clear about out-of-uniform punishments for captured enemy agents/combatants. Now, these combatants/terrorists/stupid kids are not parties to the GC, so do we keep the same rules for them? Terrorism isn't really war. If these guys were attacking military targets, that'd be one thing. Trying to blow up a plane is another matter entirely.

                    I think the larger issue is:

                    1. Does the military have jurisdiction over terrorists on US bound planes?
                    2. Are the civilian courts adequate for the trials that will happen?
                    3. Is it safe to have trials in civilian courts?
                    4. What rights do these people have?

                    I am very grateful that there are men (and women) who are willing to risk their lives to protect mine. While my views on the matter can be denigrated as "kumbaya," all parts of society need a voice. Unless we want to be like the Klingons, just as we need a few good men to sit on that wall, we need others to make sure that those men don't turn into Col. Jessup.
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      Says the university professor whose most threatening occupational hazzard is the paper cut!

                      Sorry Wuap, "they" would take back my class ring if I didn't drop a condescending response towards a full on Athens type in this scenario!
                      I understand your perspective, and I anticipated the response. I don't think any less of you because of it; I value men like you. I just know that you and I balance things out.

                      By the way, Virginia Tech, shit like that, weighs heavily on mind, and don't think that the military has a monopoly on danger. I've seen death in my life, up close and nasty and bloody, and I'm not cavalier about seeing it meeted out on people without due course and cause.
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #12
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        I understand your perspective, and I anticipated the response. I don't think any less of you because of it; I value men like you. I just know that you and I balance things out.

                        By the way, Virginia Tech, shit like that, weighs heavily on mind, and don't think that the military has a monopoly on danger. I've seen death in my life, up close and nasty and bloody, and I'm not cavalier about seeing it meeted out on people without due course and cause.
                        Back in '87 when the market crashed we ended up with an armed guard outside our door for two weeks. That is because several investement advisors were shot by their clients. I understand the danger soldiers face.

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #13
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          They are human beings, no matter how vile and evil their crimes.
                          Where does it state that those who commit acts of war are allowed Miranda rights?

                          Human beings or not, they committed aggressive acts of war. Is the US going to now start Mirandaizing everyone?
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • Hallelujah
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 2741

                            #14
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            When will this administration just man up and admit that it blew it in regard to the Christmas Day bomber?

                            And why are terrorists given Miranda rights? I still don't understand the reason for it.
                            Simple. We want the world to like us even if it means a few thousand of our citizens are killed.

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #15
                              Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                              Where does it state that those who commit acts of war are allowed Miranda rights?

                              Human beings or not, they committed aggressive acts of war. Is the US going to now start Mirandaizing everyone?
                              You're not seeing the distinction I made. If a civil authority arrests them, then we have decided as a society that all suspects will be apprised of their rights. If a military authority arrests them, I assume there is a similar declaration of rights.

                              They have rights. Otherwise we should just execute them in the field. If we start parsing out rights, then we start moving towards a collapse of all rights for everyone. If you're accused of one thing, that means you lose certain rights, well then anyone could be arrested for doing that one thing, and all our rights go to hell.

                              Dammit, no! Rights are rights. That is what separates us from them. We believe in rights and the rule of law, for everyone, even lowlife scum who would kill me.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              Working...