Top 25 Bushisms

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bluegoose
    7th round draft pick
    • Nov 2008
    • 4121

    #1

    Top 25 Bushisms

    You can't make this stuff up.

    I started gathering Bush's verbal slip-ups while covering his first presidential campaign. From the first one we published in Slate in October...
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    I love this one

    There's a huge trust. I see it all the time when people come up to me and say, 'I don't want you to let me down again.'—Boston, Oct. 3, 2000
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #3
      I know this isn't technically a "bushism," but I still find it funny.

      [YOUTUBE]NDGZQIdN9qk[/YOUTUBE]
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • UtahDan
        *
        • Nov 2008
        • 14496

        #4
        The man has to have some kind of cognitive disability. He obviously isn't dumb with his educational background and its not even that he is unable to articulate himself at all. Its like he summons all the right words, and understands the concepts, and then when he tries to say them the fall out in a jumble. Some people are just horrible on their feet, smart folks, but he so consistently just misses what he is trying to say. I'm sure this has been analyzed somewhere already. There has to be a name for what he does other than just stupid.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69735

          #5
          What was it that Snipe used to say about Bush? Something like, "He is a brilliant person that simply suffers from verbal sequencing syndrome".
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #6
            IMO this is the Bush-ism that all others are judged against.
            [YOUTUBE]eKgPY1adc0A&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

            If that Bush that did the final press conf yesterday would have been around the last 5 years he would have had a 60+% approval rating. Honesty was refreshing.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • woot
              Resident Science Cop
              • Nov 2008
              • 5531

              #7
              He was much more articulate in the gubernatorial debates. I won't be surprised if we find out some day that he began suffering from some sort of mental ailment around 2000 or so.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                Originally posted by woot View Post
                He was much more articulate in the gubernatorial debates. I won't be surprised if we find out some day that he began suffering from some sort of mental ailment around 2000 or so.
                this would explain all his nervous tics, head bobbing, verbal fumblings, eye squinting, etc..
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69735

                  #9
                  Originally posted by woot View Post
                  He was much more articulate in the gubernatorial debates. I won't be surprised if we find out some day that he began suffering from some sort of mental ailment around 2000 or so.
                  Ha. When Rove and company started grooming him for politics early on (testing the waters early in the gubernatorial race) they took him out to small hick towns in Texas and let him talk to small groups of people. They say it was a complete disaster. But they kept drilling him and working with him and he eventuallyy got to where they turned him loose on bigger cities. But even then they tried to keep him on script as much as possible. The problems occur when he is not reading from a teleprompter.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • woot
                    Resident Science Cop
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5531

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Ha. When Rove and company started grooming him for politics early on (testing the waters early in the gubernatorial race) they took him out to small hick towns in Texas and let him talk to small groups of people. They say it was a complete disaster. But they kept drilling him and working with him and he eventuallyy got to where they turned him loose on bigger cities. But even then they tried to keep him on script as much as possible. The problems occur when he is not reading from a teleprompter.
                    That's a more feasible explanation, I suppose. Does that mean that his handlers weren't able to keep him on his leash during the presidential debates in which he embarrassed himself? I'm telling you, in the 90s he spoke in complete sentences and everything. I'll see if I can find a clip.

                    Comment

                    • woot
                      Resident Science Cop
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5531

                      #11
                      Still working on finding a clip, but this one is quite shocking.

                      [YOUTUBE]F9SOVzMV2bc[/YOUTUBE]

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69735

                        #12
                        Originally posted by woot View Post
                        Still working on finding a clip, but this one is quite shocking.
                        Yikes. That is amazing.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #13
                          Originally posted by woot View Post
                          Still working on finding a clip, but this one is quite shocking.

                          [youtube]F9SOVzMV2bc[/youtube]
                          I enjoyed the pleasant background music.

                          I got a kick out of the nation building segment. I can't remember whom, but someone on CG last year was arguing about nation building and how Bush never had spoken against the practice.

                          I also listened to him yammer on about "being humble" as a nation and wondered why anyone voted for him, including myself.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • woot
                            Resident Science Cop
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5531

                            #14
                            Ok here you go. It turns out that his grammar still kinda sucked but he was relatively fluent.

                            [YOUTUBE]pw4Bhmm22xo&mode[/YOUTUBE]

                            The editing is such that it might just be comparing the best of then to the worst of now, so I don't know how much to make of this.

                            Comment

                            • RC Vikings
                              Known Heterosexual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8789

                              #15
                              I think Cheney has been drugging Bush for the last eight years and this he why he can't put two sentences together. By doing this Cheney has been able to engineer the war in Iraq and funnel billions of dollars through Haliburton into his own pockets. Of course this line of thinking may be the result of my intense jealousies of Cheney because he owns my dream home in Jackson Hole, right off of 18 green at Teton Pines Golf Club.

                              Comment

                              Working...