Is China the next Enron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Big budget releases have to walk on eggshells for Chinese censors and now they can't handle an NBA GM's opinion regarding Hong Kong, essentially turning it into an international incident.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I wonder if there's a way to encourage more manufacturing in other low cost labor countries to offset tariffs/change in trade relationship with China. Exerting pressure like this over such petty bullshit is not acceptable.

Re South Park -- have they not done anything with Fingerbang since 1999? What a great critique of what China has done to our movies/pop culture.
    The difficulty in moving to other countries is the lack of infrastructure and easy access to raw materials. The Chinese have setup a manufacturing powerhouse that is difficult to compete with elsewhere.

The tariffs have moved the needle. Chinese factories are actually moving to Vietnam, even taking factory workers with them. But Vietnam is a fraction of the size of China and will only be able to absorb so much. Other countries (Phillipines, Malaysia, India, Mexico) are much further behind. It will take a long time to untangle.

Comment

The statement from the state run broadcaster in China is

we believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech
      God bless the the first amendment!
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

"social stability"? bastards.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          This Hong Kong dude I think sums it up pretty well...

This would be a hilarious ring tone.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Comment

I'll put this here too, as it strongly condemns China:

https://www.thefire.org/coronavirus-...lace-of-ideas/
              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

I hate China.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I hate China.
                  I hate the Chinese government. Xi is Putin with a real economy, critical supply chain positioning in almost every industry, rare earth metals and so on. As hard as it will make things going forward, I think this administration has done some good work setting the stage for the necessary decoupling over the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    I'll put this here too, as it strongly condemns China:

https://www.thefire.org/coronavirus-...lace-of-ideas/
                    Thanks, that goes into my bookmarks. It hits on the error of "seeing all sides" as if all sides had the same validity. The importance of seeing as much of the world as it really is can't be understated. Which is especially true during a crisis such as this where it means life or death.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      I hate the Chinese government. Xi is Putin with a real economy, critical supply chain positioning in almost every industry, rare earth metals and so on. As hard as it will make things going forward, I think this administration has done some good work setting the stage for the necessary decoupling over the next decade.
                      A TRUMP LOVER??!!
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          It's been a bad six months for China. Unfortunately, I don't think the US and the rest of the world has the wherewithal to properly put China in its place -- like have international accords that supply chains will not be compromised by this regime. Other regions of the world need to be able to pick up the slack in any given industry if China decides to go full asshole (which will mean they can't go full asshole).

I can't believe the pharmaceutical production has been outsourced to China -- hell that couldn't have continued to be made stateside or in Mexico? That doesn't seem particularly labor intensive to me.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I posted this on Facebook. Interesting little video from Vox. The deep origin of this catastrophe is a legacy of Communism. Mao-policy caused famines were causing 36 million deaths by starvation. China encouraged wildlife farming and markets to prevent starvation. This created tastes and a market even as China turned capitalist and later became able to feed everyone. Today wildlife farms are industrial-sized and primarily cater to the elite, and this also stokes demand for poached wildlife. A toxic combination of communism's horrific failures and the dark side of capitalism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54&feature=share
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

What the U.S. officials learned during their visits concerned them so much that they dispatched two diplomatic cables categorized as Sensitive But Unclassified back to Washington. The cables warned about safety and management weaknesses at the WIV lab and proposed more attention and help. The first cable, which I obtained, also warns that the lab’s work on bat coronaviruses and their potential human transmission represented a risk of a new SARS-like pandemic.

“During interactions with scientists at the WIV laboratory, they noted the new lab has a serious shortage of appropriately trained technicians and investigators needed to safely operate this high-containment laboratory,” states the Jan. 19, 2018, cable, which was drafted by two officials from the embassy’s environment, science and health sections who met with the WIV scientists. (The State Department declined to comment on this and other details of the story.)
                              https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...coronaviruses/

Comment

Yet something else to convince you that China is asshoe.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/14/82856...silence-his-wi

Comment

Working...
                                X