Holocaust tourism

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #16
    I have been to Buchenwald and Auschwitz.

    I wouldn't have gone to both, but my wife was traveling with me the second time, and she had never been and wanted to see Auschwitz, so I agreed to go. But really, one of these places is enough of a reality check to last a lifetime.

    The things I remember most:

    The displays of collected items, piles of shoes, hair (the prisoners were shaved down on arrival), eye glasses (did the prisoners no longer need them?), and watches.

    The showers, above which you can see the vent holes where they dropped the Zyklon B.

    The ovens, next to the showers.

    At Buchenwald, there are the chambers where special prisoners were kept to serve as laboratory experimental subjects.

    There was a large tree trunk-like pole still erect in the middle of Buchenwald camp. I don't remember what it was used for, but I remember that it reminded me of the cross.

    Comment

    • Gidget
      Philosophical Goldilocks
      • Nov 2008
      • 1312

      #17
      Just reading this thread has made me tear up. I live in Fredericksburg VA. Close to DC. I really want to go see the Holocaust Museum there now.
      I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

      You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #18
        We got a babysitter for our 2 year old and went to the Holocaust Memorial in DC this morning. It was a very somber experience. It's almost beyond comprehension that something like this occurred and in the last 65 years no less. We spent over four hours going through everything. Gidget was very moved several times but seeing the shoes was probably the hardest for her. They have the shoes now on the third floor now as you come down the stairs. Thousands of them. Gidget asked me if they were real with tears in her eyes. I said yes and she had to walk out. For me, I was moved when I saw a little brooch with cloth flowers. The brooch was a birthday gift. A father and two children saved their bread rations for a few days and traded for it to give it to his wife. It made me realize the lengths that these people went to for a sense of normalcy. People all around them were starving to death and they saved their meager portions so they could give their mother a simple birthday present.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        Working...