phone solicitation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tick's wife
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 528

    #1

    phone solicitation

    A 'funny' thing happened to us this morning. A solicitor called asking about our neighbors across the street. Do you know them? When are they home? I really need to get a hold of them (her, actually). The last number I have is....Can you give me her new number. Mind you, this woman is giving me the desperate voice like something is wrong. So I tell her to just go to the house. Oh, no, I live to far, she tells me.

    I ask her how she got this number.....oh, I got it from a directory,
    I know she lives on.......
    I tell her that I can take a number and if I see her I will give her the number to call back.
    oh no, I don't want you to go to any trouble, I'll give you my number but if you see her, call me...
    hmph....I took the number and low and behold, it's an 800 number yet my caller ID says differently.
    Obviously is was not life or death.

    How am I suppose to stop this person from calling me again and trying to get information out of my kids?
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37973

    #2
    My response is stop answering the phone if you don't recognize the number. If its really important, people will leave a message.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Tick's wife
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 528

      #3
      Aww, but the kid originally picked it up....

      Comment

      • The_Tick
        Made something of myself
        • Nov 2008
        • 7291

        #4
        For which neighbor?

        Comment

        • Tick's wife
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 528

          #5
          pink house

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #6
            Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
            A 'funny' thing happened to us this morning. A solicitor called asking about our neighbors across the street. Do you know them? When are they home? I really need to get a hold of them (her, actually). The last number I have is....Can you give me her new number. Mind you, this woman is giving me the desperate voice like something is wrong. So I tell her to just go to the house. Oh, no, I live to far, she tells me.

            I ask her how she got this number.....oh, I got it from a directory,
            I know she lives on.......
            I tell her that I can take a number and if I see her I will give her the number to call back.
            oh no, I don't want you to go to any trouble, I'll give you my number but if you see her, call me...
            hmph....I took the number and low and behold, it's an 800 number yet my caller ID says differently.
            Obviously is was not life or death.

            How am I suppose to stop this person from calling me again and trying to get information out of my kids?
            My guess is rather than a solicitor calling, it's a collector. I've had a number collectors call me a few times trying to contact my sister. I tell each of them that I'm not going to do their job for them and that I will file a complaint with the state attorney if they continue to harass me. That usually gets them to stop calling me.

            Or, you could do this:

            [YOUTUBE]J5z4Vs26-TI[/YOUTUBE]
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • The_Tick
              Made something of myself
              • Nov 2008
              • 7291

              #7
              Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
              pink house
              I barely know that our house is white lady.

              Comment

              • Tick's wife
                Junior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 528

                #8
                Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                I barely know that our house is white lady.
                yellow car with walking baby

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #9
                  Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  My guess is rather than a solicitor calling, it's a collector. I've had a number collectors call me a few times trying to contact my sister. I tell each of them that I'm not going to do their job for them and that I will file a complaint with the state attorney if they continue to harass me. That usually gets them to stop calling me.

                  Or, you could do this:

                  [YOUTUBE]J5z4Vs26-TI[/YOUTUBE]
                  That was funny. My Dad could pull that kind of thing off. I don't have the ability to not laugh when I do it.

                  He once got a call in the late 80's from some company that told him he'd won "A dream vacation to Helen, Georgia," if he could just answer one trivia question. The question was, "What state that borders Georgia starts with an A and ends with an A?" My Dad had it on speaker phone, and he answered, "Alaska!" The guy, stunned, says, "I'm sure you're a little nervous Mr. Williams, so try again." He repeated the questions. My dad, deadpan says, "Arizona!" The guy said something like, "Sir, it borders Georgia." My Dad said something like, "Soviet or American?"

                  I forget how the rest of it went, but the guy must've thought my dad was too stupid to breathe. It was all we could do to not erupt into laughter. To this day, when we're watching Jeopardy! and a really easy question comes on, someone will shout, "ALASKA!" at the tv set.
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #10
                    I love this one:

                    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HHmU5vmrGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HHmU5vmrGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #11
                      [ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=27933 273"]Bob and Tom El Conquistador Video by FiReFigHtIn iRiSh - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=27933273@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@mys pace@@AMEPARAM@@services/media/embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@27933273[/ame]
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • Moliere
                        One man.....one pie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 27875

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
                        How am I suppose to stop this person from calling me again and trying to get information out of my kids?
                        When solicitors call me and I have time to kill I usually string them along for a while. Then I try and turn it into a missionary discussion which usually involves me asking The Golden Question. For a solicitor, time is money and they usually figure out I'm not interested in helping them after a while so they hang up and don't call back.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                        Comment

                        • beefytee
                          Board eye candy
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 7542

                          #13
                          I'm going to hell.

                          I reported the Deseret News to the Do not Call Registry because they refuse to stop calling us.

                          Actually it may be the Salt Lake Tribune (or Media One) or something but the caller ID comes up as the Deseret News.

                          Comment

                          • statman
                            Rabblerouser
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 2799

                            #14
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            That was funny. My Dad could pull that kind of thing off. I don't have the ability to not laugh when I do it.

                            He once got a call in the late 80's from some company that told him he'd won "A dream vacation to Helen, Georgia," if he could just answer one trivia question. The question was, "What state that borders Georgia starts with an A and ends with an A?" My Dad had it on speaker phone, and he answered, "Alaska!" The guy, stunned, says, "I'm sure you're a little nervous Mr. Williams, so try again." He repeated the questions. My dad, deadpan says, "Arizona!" The guy said something like, "Sir, it borders Georgia." My Dad said something like, "Soviet or American?"

                            I forget how the rest of it went, but the guy must've thought my dad was too stupid to breathe. It was all we could do to not erupt into laughter. To this day, when we're watching Jeopardy! and a really easy question comes on, someone will shout, "ALASKA!" at the tv set.
                            Armenia would have been 100% correct as well...

                            Comment

                            • FMCoug
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6825

                              #15
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              I love this one:

                              [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HHmU5vmrGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HHmU5vmrGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                              Roy is one of the funniest guys on radio. We lived in Tulsa for a few years and listened religiously. Have some CD's too.
                              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                              Comment

                              Working...