Republican or Democrat?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cowboy
    Homer Weems
    • Dec 2008
    • 5740

    #1

    Republican or Democrat?

    No other in this poll because nobody's views fit a party precisely. I'm just trying to gauge the political ideology of the board from a left/right perspective. In other words, get the heck off the fence and vote one or the other.
    54
    Republican
    59.26%
    32
    Democrat
    40.74%
    22
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924
  • beefytee
    Board eye candy
    • Mar 2009
    • 7542

    #2
    I'm registered as an independent.

    I refused to vote!...In this poll.

    Comment

    • cowboy
      Homer Weems
      • Dec 2008
      • 5740

      #3
      Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      I'm registered as an independent.

      I refused to vote!...In this poll.
      The only thing you get from straddling the fence is splinters in your can. Pick one.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #4
        No love for the Communist Party USA?
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • beefytee
          Board eye candy
          • Mar 2009
          • 7542

          #5
          Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          The only thing you get from straddling the fence is splinters in your can. Pick one.
          There will probably be races where I change my registration so I can vote in primaries, but basically I think the 2 party system doesn't constitute much more that a fund raising system. There are no consequences of not voting party lines (i.e. being kicked out of the party). No one really has to follow any ideology, so it really only comes down to raising money.

          I will admit that for the presidential race it has worked out well as kind of a runoff system, but generally I think the 2 party system does nothing for me.

          Comment

          • cowboy
            Homer Weems
            • Dec 2008
            • 5740

            #6
            Originally posted by beefytee View Post
            There will probably be races where I change my registration so I can vote in primaries, but basically I think the 2 party system doesn't constitute much more that a fund raising system. There are no consequences of not voting party lines (i.e. being kicked out of the party). No one really has to follow any ideology, so it really only comes down to raising money.

            I will admit that for the presidential race it has worked out well as kind of a runoff system, but generally I think the 2 party system does nothing for me.
            I dislike the two-party system for the same reasons, but that isn't the point of this poll. I'm simply asking which party matches your political philosophy the best (or offends your sensibilities the least.)
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

            Comment

            • beefytee
              Board eye candy
              • Mar 2009
              • 7542

              #7
              Thanks for letting me vent.

              I will vote now. It is a tough choice for me though, mostly because of the last 9 years of spending.

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #8
                Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                Thanks for letting me vent.

                I will vote now. It is a tough choice for me though, mostly because of the last 9 years of spending.
                Fiscally, there really isn't much of a difference anymore. The social ideologies is what swayed my vote in this poll.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • beefytee
                  Board eye candy
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 7542

                  #9
                  Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  Fiscally, there really isn't much of a difference anymore. The social ideologies is what swayed my vote in this poll.
                  Even that is getting less distinct as evidences by this thread.

                  Comment

                  • Flystripper
                    Degenerate Gambler
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14095

                    #10
                    Registered Republican but have voted democrat on several occasions. Been thinking about going Independent but have not gotten around to it.
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #11
                      Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                      Even that is getting less distinct as evidences by this thread.
                      True; however, I think when push comes to shove, the Dems will not drop the abortion issue. It's been too much a part of their platform to let it go. I just don't think they want to tick off the NOW faction.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • SoCalCoug
                        Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5214

                        #12
                        I'm registered Independent but I tend to vote Democrat.

                        I voted for Ahnold for governor though - kind of regretting that.
                        If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                        "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                        "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                        Comment

                        • Moliere
                          One man.....one pie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 27895

                          #13
                          Where is the "Unaffiliated" option?

                          I'm not a republican, democrat, or independent. I'm unaffiliated. I dislike political parties and especially the two party system, although I understand it probably keeps some real radicals from taking office.

                          I tend to vote republican in national elections and democrat in local elections. I believe in small national government and powerful local government. I don't mind having more social programs, but I want them to be smaller and closer to home so I can have more influence over them. Large local government tends to make everything "one-size-fits-all" and that just doesn't/hasn't worked for the most part.

                          Being unaffiliated makes me research each candidate more than I probably would if I affiliated myself. In fact, in 2000 I didn't vote for Bush or Gore. I actually wrote in a name of a candidate. People tell me I wasted my vote, but I beg to differ.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment

                          • Goatnapper'96
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10924

                            #14
                            Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                            I'm registered Independent but I tend to vote Democrat.

                            I voted for Ahnold for governor though - kind of regretting that.
                            There were some real other jubbily candidates! BOWN BICHA BOWN BOWN!
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

                            I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

                            Comment

                            • PaloAltoCougar
                              Semper infra dignitatem
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 16938

                              #15
                              A lifelong registered Repub, but driven from the Garden of CB by partaking of the Obama apple, a choice I still do not regret. TAKE THAT!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...