Stick to economics, Paul

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #1

    Stick to economics, Paul

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/op...rugman.html?hp

    Hastening the day when the rightful governing party returns to power is all that matters, so the G.O.P. will seize any club at hand with which to beat the current administration.
    Was he in a coma for the last EIGHT YEARS? I don't see how he can write such a scathing piece while barely, if it all, acknowledging the fact that the "scorched earth" political policy was the favorite of Democrats from 2000 to 2008.

    And apparently it worked, though, so who can blame the GOP for trying it?

    Except that it's a despicable and borderline immoral way of running a political party, and I really wish the GOP would grow up and get back to its conservative roots instead of playing the blame game. I hated it when it was used against Bush and it annoys me now when it's used against Obama.

    Seriously, I know some people have a terrible view of history, but this was less that twelve months ago, Mr. Krugman.
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    Krugman is like Dowd - less than insignificant.

    I will admit that I think it's hysterically funny that these liberal opinion columnists are upset at the treatment of Obama. When the shoe's on the other foot, it isn't fun, is it Krugman?
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #3
      I don't know... writing for the NY Times means you have a pretty large audience.

      And his credibility in the economic realm means some people believe whatever he says. I'm pretty sure he's shaping opinion by his writing, which makes him significant.

      I couldn't even bring myself to read the comments on that one.

      Comment

      • Non Sequitur
        Where did I put my bodkin
        • Nov 2008
        • 5773

        #4
        I liked the piece, especially this excerpt:

        But more important, the episode illustrated an essential truth about the state of American politics: at this point, the guiding principle of one of our nation’s two great political parties is spite pure and simple. If Republicans think something might be good for the president, they’re against it — whether or not it’s good for America.
        How idiotic is it that conservatives celebrated the Olympics being awarded to Brazil? How petty and short-sighted is that?
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #5
          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
          How idiotic is it that conservatives celebrated the Olympics being awarded to Brazil? How petty and short-sighted is that?
          Very.

          Comment

          • SteelBlue
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 8189

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            Krugman is like Dowd - less than insignificant.

            I will admit that I think it's hysterically funny that these liberal opinion columnists are upset at the treatment of Obama. When the shoe's on the other foot, it isn't fun, is it Krugman?

            You do realize that Krugman was probably the very FIRST Obama critic right? He bashed the stimulus program from the start and I believe he even got a Time Magazine cover with the title "Obama's biggest critic" or something similar.

            Comment

            • JohnnyLingo
              La Naranja
              • Nov 2008
              • 3976

              #7
              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              You do realize that Krugman was probably the very FIRST Obama critic right? He bashed the stimulus program from the start and I believe he even got a Time Magazine cover with the title "Obama's biggest critic" or something similar.
              That's odd, considering he's screaming for MORE stimulus now.

              http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/op...rugman.html?em

              You see, spending money now means a stronger economy, both in the short run and in the long run. And a stronger economy means more revenues, which offset a large fraction of the upfront cost. Back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that the offset falls short of 100 percent, so that fiscal stimulus isn’t a complete free lunch. But it costs far less than you’d think from listening to what passes for informed discussion.

              Comment

              • SteelBlue
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 8189

                #8
                Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/op...rugman.html?hp

                Was he in a coma for the last EIGHT YEARS? I don't see how he can write such a scathing piece while barely, if it all, acknowledging the fact that the "scorched earth" political policy was the favorite of Democrats from 2000 to 2008.

                And apparently it worked, though, so who can blame the GOP for trying it?

                Except that it's a despicable and borderline immoral way of running a political party, and I really wish the GOP would grow up and get back to its conservative roots instead of playing the blame game. I hated it when it was used against Bush and it annoys me now when it's used against Obama.

                I haven't read the article yet, but Mr. Lingo I think that this marks the first time that I have found myself in agreement with you in this forum.

                Comment

                • SteelBlue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8189

                  #9
                  Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                  That's odd, considering he's screaming for MORE stimulus now.

                  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/op...rugman.html?em
                  That was his critique then as well. He doesn't have to dislike it for the same reasons as you for it to be a critique.

                  Comment

                  • Green Lantern
                    Has overcome great fear
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2289

                    #10
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    That's odd, considering he's screaming for MORE stimulus now.

                    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/op...rugman.html?em
                    Actually, his position hasn't changed. That's why he was criticizing Obama in the first place; because he thought the stimulus plan wasn't aggressive enough.
                    Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                    None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                    I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                    --Portland Ute

                    Comment

                    • JohnnyLingo
                      La Naranja
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 3976

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                      That was his critique then as well. He doesn't have to dislike it for the same reasons as you for it to be a critique.
                      Originally posted by GL
                      Actually, his position hasn't changed. That's why he was criticizing Obama in the first place; because he thought the stimulus plan wasn't aggressive enough.
                      Oh.

                      Carry on.

                      Comment

                      • il Padrino Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19161

                        #12
                        Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                        You do realize that Krugman was probably the very FIRST Obama critic right? He bashed the stimulus program from the start and I believe he even got a Time Magazine cover with the title "Obama's biggest critic" or something similar.
                        He's Obama's biggest critic?

                        Until this column, I've never seen him write about anything other than bitching about Bush.

                        He's still a moron and has the most punchable face of all syndicated columnists.
                        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                        Comment

                        • DU Ute
                          RIP CUF
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 7393

                          #13
                          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                          He's Obama's biggest critic?
                          He's still a moron and has the most punchable face of all syndicated columnists.
                          I agree, but just because I would never hit a girl.

                          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                          Comment

                          Working...