Question for the "pretty good" golfers on CUF--you know who you are

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #1

    Question for the "pretty good" golfers on CUF--you know who you are

    I've been wondering about the viability of buying bladed clubs, as I think they are now passe. If you used to play blades, but you dont anymore, I'm interested in what you think. Have you given up on blades? Did you just not have enough time to practice on them to get really good with them? Did you lose patience? Are you now back to something a little more bouncy with less spin control? Do you play better with or without your blades?

    Also, if you switched to blades and you are super happy with them and intend never to use another type of club, are you a sub 6 handicap player?

    There are probably not a lot of experts on this, so please, if you have any wisdom to impart, please do so.
  • Levin
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1152

    #2
    I played with blades for a while: I found the primary benefit to be their feel -- that indescribable sensation you get the instant the club hits the ball and you know -- you know -- how far, how straight, and simply how well (or how poorly) you hit it. I suppose this helps with muscle memory and confidence: to do (or not do) what you just did again.

    But my blades were too unforgiving. I was much less consistent with them; I had to be much more precise each time with my swing and timing. By leaving my blades (I now play with Pings), what I've lost in feel, I've gained in consistency.

    It's the difference between poetry and prose. One is much more demanding, and satisfying if done right. But the other is better for day-in and day-out use.

    That's why I got rid of my blades.

    Comment

    • Drunk Tank
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 2569

      #3
      I have an opinion, but after shooting a 124 yesterday, I will reserve my comments.
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

      Comment

      • Katy Lied
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 9435

        #4
        Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
        after shooting a 124 yesterday

        I've heard of guys who will golf 36 holes in a day, but they usually do it on the longest day of the year...

        Comment

        • RC Vikings
          Known Heterosexual
          • Nov 2008
          • 8789

          #5
          Unless you are a five or better I would stay away from blades.

          Comment

          • OhioBlue
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 1129

            #6
            technology is such that now one can find that great feel and feedback of blades while still enjoying some forgiveness.

            the "player's cavity" irons are a nice, best of both worlds development. eg Mizuno's mp57s, or some of callaway's recent offerings (x-forged, for example).

            For me, it's simply a case of what I learned with and got used to. I was given a set of old classic muscleback irons and learned on those. When it came time to get new irons, I tried all the cavity-back irons and found them clunky, oversized, displeasing to the eye at setup, and for the most part pretty dead at impact. I went with mp-30s and am glad I did, as they were much closer to what I had been playing for over a decade.

            Fast forward to present day, and if I had the money, as much as I love the feel of my irons I'd go for a compromise with more of a cavity but still something that feels great and delivers feedback, with a thin topline and not one of those huge clunky things. I've been eyeing newer Mizuno lines as I have fallen hopelessly for the feel of grain-flow forging--used in both their MP and MX lines.

            If you can hit Pings or some of those huge irons with 3-inch soles all the way through PW and an inch of offset, and enjoy them, more power to you. I personally enjoy feeling a pured hit even if at times the feedback on misses is harsher. I won't ever play a classic blade, but I'll probably always try to find clubs that are more on that end of the design spectrum.

            Comment

            Working...