Cardio test

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    Cardio test

    I finally went and got my cardio test done at my gym (Lifetime Fitness). If you have a Lifetime nearby and have a bit of spare change (it's about $140 to test the first time, but cheaper after that because you already bought the equipment) I highly recommend it. You do not have to be a member, I am told.

    It is a sub-max test. You put on this thing that looks like a ninja mask and they put you on a treadmill at a relatively slow speed based on what you run at normally (e.g., when I told them I train at 8:30 miles, they put me on the treadmill at a 10 minute mile pace) after a walking warmup. They also put a HR monitor on you.

    The ninja mask has a large hole you breathe in and out of - it wasn't that uncomfortable at all - with tubes connected to it. These tubes run into a literal black box that is then connected to a computer.

    They start increasing your slope 2% at a time and making it harder and harder to run. They keep doing this until you go anaerobic (the black box knows when and how) and then do a cooldown to measure recovery. Then the nifty software stuff spits out a report that tells you your HR zones, how many calories you burn in each zone, what percentage of that is fat vs carbs, what your VO2 max is, what your VO2 was at the anaerobic threshold, what your HR recovery rate is, what your projected max HR is, etc.

    Based on that report, I was able to sit down with their metabolic specialist (I assume she has some training beyond a seminar, but I didn't actually ask; a degree in exercise science is what I would guess) and formulate a great strategy for interval training. It will kick my ass from here to China and back, but I know what I'm doing and why. And I know a LOT more about my HR and why it works where it does and what I should be looking for in terms of training.

    I do wish I would have taken this back in January so I could see what strides I've made since then (I started running in March). I am going to take the test again just before the marathon to see what my training has done for me.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16937

    #2
    I would be very interested in such a test, but Lifetime Fitness doesn't exist in CA and I'm unsure where to go. Since going off the beta blocker, my heart rate has increased to what it was twenty years ago (on long climbs, my rate exceeds what my maximum is supposed to be), and I'm curious what my zones are. If anyone knows of a test center in the Bay Area, let me know.

    Comment

    • Pheidippides
      Liberal Feminazi
      • Nov 2008
      • 14759

      #3
      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I would be very interested in such a test, but Lifetime Fitness doesn't exist in CA and I'm unsure where to go. Since going off the beta blocker, my heart rate has increased to what it was twenty years ago (on long climbs, my rate exceeds what my maximum is supposed to be), and I'm curious what my zones are. If anyone knows of a test center in the Bay Area, let me know.
      The name of the company that produces the software/hardware appears to be New Leaf, if that's any help. I know you can get this sort of stuff done at all sorts of places (presumably most colleges would have sophisticated stuff) but I'm told that can get pricey.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

      Comment

      • bluegoose
        7th round draft pick
        • Nov 2008
        • 4121

        #4
        So out with it, Niku. What was your VO2 max? PM me, if you don't want to share publicly.

        My cousin administers these tests in Provo. He owns a small fitness and performance training center up on north University Ave. While we were in Utah in July, he put my wife through the same test Niku went through. It is very cool to look at the results and know exactly where you need to be training for your specific workouts.

        Just for kicks you should compare their numbers to cowboys numbers on his training spreadsheet.

        Comment

        • Pheidippides
          Liberal Feminazi
          • Nov 2008
          • 14759

          #5
          Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
          So out with it, Niku. What was your VO2 max? PM me, if you don't want to share publicly.
          Oh, I see how it is! You're just going to goad me on, giving me yet one more avenue to try to push myself and get injured in the name of smacking down the Goose. And with a charity event on the horizon no less! For shame!
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

          Comment

          • PaloAltoCougar
            Semper infra dignitatem
            • Nov 2008
            • 16937

            #6
            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            The name of the company that produces the software/hardware appears to be New Leaf, if that's any help. I know you can get this sort of stuff done at all sorts of places (presumably most colleges would have sophisticated stuff) but I'm told that can get pricey.
            Good tip. The company's website shows there are a few places within an easy drive. Thanks. http://www.newleaffitness.com/

            Comment

            Working...