Proposal for a new mileage challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69689

    #1

    Proposal for a new mileage challenge

    I have been approached by a CUF poster (who wishes to remain anonymous) with an intriguing proposal. The poster was deeply touched by "Rest at the Top" thread and the corresponding back story posted by Teenage DirtBag a day or two ago:



    The poster has proposed that we continue the mileage challenge through December 1st and he/she will donate $0.05 for every mile put in as part of the challenge. The funds will be donated to a charity selected by the CUF participants. We have been been tossing around a few ideas, and we would like to solicit some input from the group. Some of our ideas:

    1) Rather than continuing the current challenge, start a new challenge with a combined effort (no teams - everyone pulling together). We could either cut the current challenge short or wait to the end of the month.

    2) Find some way for others to donate as well. One idea would be to forward all donations made to CUF through the period of the challenge to the charity selected.

    3) We could call this the "Rest at the Top" challenge. Recent discussions on a CUF jersey could be coordinated with this event.

    Anyway, please share suggestions and ideas here. Personally, I think this is a wonderful idea.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
  • pelagius
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5288

    #2
    It sounds like a great idea ... if a my make a small request ... consider adding rowing (ya on a machine) to the list of approved activities for this go around ... its my main form of cardio.

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #3
      Very cool idea.

      Even though I am not currently participating, it would be fun to finish out the current Distance challenge through the end of the month. That way we will know once and for all who holds Tammany Hall's sway on CUF....the runners or the cyclists.

      I would love to add my meager miles to the new "Rest at the Top" Challenge.

      My suggestion: finish out this current challenge. Over the next 2 weeks while this challenge is winding down, we all flesh out the deets....the charity, the duration, how we count miles (I am a machinist but I would like to participate), etc. Launch the Rest at the Top Challenge right after Labor Day (I think several folks will be gone to the BLUE RIVER SHOOTouT over Labor Day weekend).

      Also, since this is for charity, I would suggest no teams, but a group effort. Although I would not be offended by nor opposed to teams.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • SteelBlue
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 8189

        #4
        It'd be nice if we could tie it back in to little Gage Wayment somehow as he was the inspiration for TDB's phrase. I'm not sure how that could be done or what kind of charity relates though.

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #5
          Wow. Very moved. This is cool. I am going to have to get my hip in order to do this. I think Steel's idea is a good one. Or maybe if there isn't a memorial fund or anything we could give it to Utah SAR or something.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • ewth8tr
            Reverend of Irreverence
            • Nov 2008
            • 2347

            #6
            I'd Like to suggest the Hess Cancer Foundation. It's a wonderful cause and they generally raise money by putting on athletic events where the proceeds go to the foundation.
            http://hesscancer.org/our_story.php
            "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

            Comment

            • SteelBlue
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 8189

              #7
              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              Wow. Very moved. This is cool. I am going to have to get my hip in order to do this. I think Steel's idea is a good one. Or maybe if there isn't a memorial fund or anything we could give it to Utah SAR or something.

              Another idea might be a charity that helps families who have recently lost a child.

              Comment

              • Rosebud
                sledgirl
                • Jun 2009
                • 1363

                #8
                Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                Another idea might be a charity that helps families who have recently lost a child.
                I like that idea. I'm in... but I don't want to buy one of those fancy Garmin thingies.

                Comment

                • Coach McGuirk
                  1
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 12109

                  #9
                  I am in as well. I did not respond in that thread, as I am at a loss for words when I start to ponder little gage awakening and wondering why he is alone in this truck in the middle of the woods, and then to begin looking for his dad only to get lost. Sitting alone.


                  Anyway, I love it. I would suggest a reference on the jersey to rest at the top. I don't really care much if we finish the current challenge or not. This is way cooler.

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #10
                    Absolutely in. And I think DDD has the right idea - finish what we have going while we get the details together. ewth8tr's charity is a good one, and I suspect there are others as well - and maybe even a local one specific to the story.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • creekster
                      It is NOT a monkey!
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22661

                      #11
                      I understand the desire to work together, but I actually think the goal here is to maximize the output and teams tends to bring out competitiveness in people. There have been a couple of mornings when the alarm goes off and as I decide whether to exercise or go back to sleep one of the thoughts that crosses my mind is I need the miles for the cyclists. I know, it is feeble, but all kidding aside I actually think it helps oddballs like me.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #12
                        one thought on the current challenge.....beelzebabette, the original sassinator, put together a cool challenge for us that has basically been a key driver in CUF's collective summer fitness. The Distance Challenge is a great idea. I think it would be cool to finish that which we have started as a group, give one group bragging rights, and then let beelzebabette go back to her crazy hidden laboratory of radness to concoct the next big thing for CUF.

                        I was hesistant to post this comment because now beelzebabette is going to be getting all big-headed and thinking she dominates and everything because she created the distance challenge and because she only eats homemade cream puffs, not frozen costco cream puffs.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Teenage Dirtbag
                          Since 1971
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 1096

                          #13
                          Wow.

                          I'm in...obviously. Whoever the anonymous poster is, this means a lot.

                          My vote would be that we finish out the current challenge through August, and begin anew on Sept 1. I will also make a donation to the cause at the end of the challenge, and would encourage everyone else to do the same, if you feel so inclined. This is a pretty neat opportunity to do something good for others. I am good with either a team or group effort.

                          Whatever charity we decide on, I think the spirit of the challenge dictates that it be something that exists to serve children. I think it would also be nice to make the donation on behalf of Paul and Gage. But on that note, before we did something like that, we have to get their family's blessing. I will take that upon myself, if that's how we want to proceed.

                          On a personal note, I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my face. As I said in my post, I'm still affected by the story, 9 years later. I hesitated for months to post what I did, because I couldn't bear to have it ridiculed. The reaction here has been what I hoped for, and I'm glad that others now remember this strong little boy.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69689

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                            Wow.

                            I'm in...obviously. Whoever the anonymous poster is, this means a lot.

                            My vote would be that we finish out the current challenge through August, and begin anew on Sept 1. I will also make a donation to the cause at the end of the challenge, and would encourage everyone else to do the same, if you feel so inclined. This is a pretty neat opportunity to do something good for others. I am good with either a team or group effort.

                            Whatever charity we decide on, I think the spirit of the challenge dictates that it be something that exists to serve children. I think it would also be nice to make the donation on behalf of Paul and Gage. But on that note, before we did something like that, we have to get their family's blessing. I will take that upon myself, if that's how we want to proceed.

                            On a personal note, I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my face. As I said in my post, I'm still affected by the story, 9 years later. I hesitated for months to post what I did, because I couldn't bear to have it ridiculed. The reaction here has been what I hoped for, and I'm glad that others now remember this strong little boy.
                            I remember the incident from when it happened, but I didn't read the story you posted until tonight. My wife asked me what I was reading and I was so choked up that it took me a few minutes before I could get my composure. I couldn't help but identify with the father. The photo at the end really got to me.

                            I also like the idea of finishing out the current challenge. It will take time to work out details either way, and I think the current challenge has been a lot of fun.

                            You runners are going down.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Eddie
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 8098

                              #15
                              I would join this as well. I've been thinking about Gage all day after reading TDB's post - and even ended up in discussions with a couple of different people about it. It still destroys me to think about.

                              I would also offer an additional prospective charity, while also admitting that my suggestion at best is extremely self-serving and at worst may be inappropriate since I work there.

                              Utah Foster Care believes all children deserve safe, stable and loving families. Children heal when our statewide community comes together.


                              I'll also include a portion of a new video clip we've just produced that includes comments from foster parents, kids in foster care, and a mom who's son was in foster care:



                              The Utah Foster Care Foundation is a non-profit that works with the state to recruit, train, and support state licensed foster families. We take in donations to help provide things like a sub for santa at Christmas (the state gives families all of $42 to purchase gifts for the child and for the child to purchase gifts for friends and family), a foster parent retreat semi-supported by BYU at Aspen Grove, and a Wishing Well Fund that goes towards paying for things that the state doesn't have funding for - such as participation in athletics, music lessons and/or instruments, science camps, or simply things like bicycles or baby gear for pregnant teens.

                              Just to be clear, UFCF is not a private (or "proctor") foster care agency. We are a sole source provider to recruit and train state licensed families.

                              Before this, I worked for the Division of Child and Family Services for 5 years doing child abuse investigations. It kind of creates a bit of a shell around you as you talk to the kids and hear all of their stories. I can't describe the stress of visiting kids and trying to decide if they should remain at home or be placed into protective custody - and hoping that I'd made the right decision. One of my cases included a child homocide and then working with the siblings of that child who witnessed the abuse first hand. There is only so much of that one can take on a daily basis and thinking of Gage had me recalling stories of kids I hadn't thought of for a very long time.

                              Anyway - I moved on to another position were I can still work towards helping kids that are coming from some difficult backgrounds and deserve something better, but see the outcomes instead of the beginning of their journey.

                              That's all I'll say about it as I've already said more about myself than I've ever done on an open message board and, as I said, this is about as self-serving as it can get.

                              With that said - I anticipate participating and will gladly support whatever charity is chosen by the board either way.

                              Comment

                              Working...