Rest at the Top

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Teenage Dirtbag
    Since 1971
    • Nov 2008
    • 1096

    #1

    Rest at the Top

    So, indulge me a bit of a sappy post here.

    I have a mantra that I like to use when I'm out running, particularly when the miles start getting tough. If you also have one that means something to you, I'd love to hear it.

    Some of you will remember this story:

    Back in 2000, there was a little boy named Gage Wayment whose father left him sleeping in a truck while the father went out scouting for deer. When he returned, Gage had freed himself from his car seat and got out of the car, presumably to go find his Dad. A few days later, a volunteer searcher and his dog found Gage under a foot of snow.

    http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2002-Feature-Writing

    For reasons that I still can't explain, this little boy's death haunts me. Of all the stories we hear about horrible things that happen to children, this one has stayed with me. I really don't know why.

    At his funeral, his mother related that in search and rescue situations, searchers will tend to focus their efforts downhill from where a person was last seen, as most people who are lost will go downhill. I was struck by her saying that instead of doing that, her little boy had actually gone uphill. He came to a hill while wandering, and once he had climbed it, it was then that he laid down to rest.

    I don't begin to compare the so called "pain" of distance running to what this little boy endured, but I've used his example to help me when I need a little bit of inspiration to finish what I started, when I need to climb my own hills. I'll repeat to myself "Rest at the Top", and it never fails to help.

    As a tribute to him, I have my mantra printed on my Road ID that I wear on every run. I look at it often. I never had the pleasure of knowing this little boy, but he taught me a great lesson.

  • Tim
    Not Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 4390

    #2
    Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
    So, indulge me a bit of a sappy post here.

    I have a mantra that I like to use when I'm out running, particularly when the miles start getting tough. If you also have one that means something to you, I'd love to hear it.

    Some of you will remember this story:

    Back in 2000, there was a little boy named Gage Wayment whose father left him sleeping in a truck while the father went out scouting for deer. When he returned, Gage had freed himself from his car seat and got out of the car, presumably to go find his Dad. A few days later, a volunteer searcher and his dog found Gage under a foot of snow.

    http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2002-Feature-Writing

    For reasons that I still can't explain, this little boy's death haunts me. Of all the stories we hear about horrible things that happen to children, this one has stayed with me. I really don't know why.

    At his funeral, his mother related that in search and rescue situations, searchers will tend to focus their efforts downhill from where a person was last seen, as most people who are lost will go downhill. I was struck by her saying that instead of doing that, her little boy had actually gone uphill. He came to a hill while wandering, and once he had climbed it, it was then that he laid down to rest.

    I don't begin to compare the so called "pain" of distance running to what this little boy endured, but I've used his example to help me when I need a little bit of inspiration to finish what I started, when I need to climb my own hills. I'll repeat to myself "Rest at the Top", and it never fails to help.

    As a tribute to him, I have my mantra printed on my Road ID that I wear on every run. I look at it often. I never had the pleasure of knowing this little boy, but he taught me a great lesson.

    Thanks for sharing that.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12367

      #3
      wow, that was really touching. I would like to say I had something powerful like that, or at least that I could put it so eloquently. I started running, seriously, ok more seriously, after I lost my son. Before that I would run maybe twice a year. I think it was a way of battling depression. I just had to get out there and so something. So I signed up for a 1/2 marathon that was 2 1/2 months later and started training. I don't think that is why I still run and compete, but maybe it is.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69715

        #4
        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        wow, that was really touching. I would like to say I had something powerful like that, or at least that I could put it so eloquently. I started running, seriously, ok more seriously, after I lost my son. Before that I would run maybe twice a year. I think it was a way of battling depression. I just had to get out there and so something. So I signed up for a 1/2 marathon that was 2 1/2 months later and started training. I don't think that is why I still run and compete, but maybe it is.
        I wasn't aware that you lost a child. How long ago did this happen?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Solon
          Lost in the flood
          • Nov 2008
          • 5747

          #5
          Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          wow, that was really touching. I would like to say I had something powerful like that, or at least that I could put it so eloquently. I started running, seriously, ok more seriously, after I lost my son. Before that I would run maybe twice a year. I think it was a way of battling depression. I just had to get out there and so something. So I signed up for a 1/2 marathon that was 2 1/2 months later and started training. I don't think that is why I still run and compete, but maybe it is.
          Thank you, TDB, for sharing that, although I'm not going to get any work done for awhile now. I'm really shaken up, but I'm glad for the story. Life is so brutal, but so beautiful sometimes. I know that country very well, and I have a million reactions right now. (I didn't remember the story.)

          I'm also glad that in some small way the memory of this little boy lives on through you.
          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #6
            Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            I don't think that is why I still run and compete, but maybe it is.
            I feel this way sometimes too, even though I know I run for me. Running is my quiet and alone time (music notwithstanding) and it is my meditation, the time that helps me be at one with myself, which in turn helps me confront my lingering feelings.

            I have only caught brief mentions of your situation in the past, but just knowing there are others out there helps me from day to day.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #7
              That was an awful story and if I remember correctly his dad actually committed suicide shortly after because he was so heart broken over the situation.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • BigPiney
                Huge Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12367

                #8
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I wasn't aware that you lost a child. How long ago did this happen?
                4 years

                Comment

                • venkman
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2199

                  #9
                  Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  That was an awful story and if I remember correctly his dad actually committed suicide shortly after because he was so heart broken over the situation.
                  Yep.
                  "Remember to double tap"

                  Comment

                  • bluegoose
                    7th round draft pick
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4121

                    #10
                    I just re-read that story again about Paul and Gage Wayment. What a tragic and heartbreaking story. Its yet another thing that gives me pause to be grateful for every moment that I have with my wife and kids.

                    Thanks for sharing your insights, TDB and Piney.

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #11
                      That is a heart wrenching story. I think "rest at the top" is a great mantra to live by.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • cowboy
                        Homer Weems
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 5740

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        That is a heart wrenching story. I think "rest at the top" is a great mantra to live by.
                        I've been considering suggesting Team CUF sinlgets with our monikers on them. I'm planning to do it and now, "Rest at the Top" will go on the back of mine. Thanks, Dirtbag, for the story - I almost started bawling today when I was running at noon with my brother and telling him about your post.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #13
                          This thread is very inspirational and also extremely sad. That was a difficult article to read, albeit very well written.

                          thank you to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

                          I love the mantra, "Rest at the Top."
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • ewth8tr
                            Reverend of Irreverence
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 2347

                            #14
                            Last night I decided that I would try to use this as a little bit of motivation and run to the top of 3900 South, which has some pretty steep hills. That really sucked, I had to keep alternating running/walking up some of them, plus it didn't help that there was road construction up most of it and no streetlights. My left foot started hurting a little bit as well from running on some uneven surfaces through the construction.
                            "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69715

                              #15
                              That story still breaks my heart.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              Working...