Barefoot Running: The shizzle or the shizz?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #31
    Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    If I wanted to try this, I'd have to get a pair of those shoes pictured in the first post. I've always been a shoe-wearing person and the soles of my feet are very soft. I'd cut them to ribbons if I tried to run outside in bare feet.
    I'd be really careful about trying this if I were you. This is not for beginning runners.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

    Comment

    • kccougar
      9262
      • Nov 2008
      • 7020

      #32
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      I'd be really careful about trying this if I were you. This is not for beginning runners.
      No worries. I'm a cheapskate and I've already got a good pair of running shoes.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37986

        #33
        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        I'd be really careful about trying this if I were you. This is not for beginning runners.
        Hey man, its in our DNA!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Rosebud
          sledgirl
          • Jun 2009
          • 1363

          #34
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I'd be really careful about trying this if I were you. This is not for beginning runners.
          Sheesh!!! You make it sound like trying something new is dangerous. Why the fear? He's obviously already doing a good job of paying attention to the feedback his body gives him when he runs...... that alone makes me think it's safe for him to give it a shot. And isn't this about making his running technique more anatomically correct? Perhaps there is more danger in not trying it out.

          Or... maybe he needs a permission slip from a doc in the ER before he puts on socks and runs around a high school track....

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37986

            #35
            whoa.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Surfah
              Where's Wallace?
              • Nov 2008
              • 33726

              #36
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              whoa.
              That was a Keanu whoa.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

              Comment

              • Rosebud
                sledgirl
                • Jun 2009
                • 1363

                #37
                Yeah... whoa... I got more than one PM on the subject of my somewhat intimidating writing style. I also apologized to ER. I promise to be good and avoid slamming anyone else for a while. ER took the brunt of some of my pent-up anger against the medical system. It was hardly fair. The ER docs are the good guys.

                Don't be afraid of me... I'll be nice... .

                Comment

                • SteelBlue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8189

                  #38
                  I hadn't really thought about this forefoot stuff until reading this thread and I hadn't run since early Saturday. I read about it in a book I mentioned earlier that bluegoose showed me and then last night was my first run since reading all of this stuff. I had no plans to change anything before my marathon and in fact hadn't been thinking about this stuff until about a mile into my run when I realized I am a mid/forefoot striker already. I don't strike my heels at all and roll midfoot to forefoot. If you had asked me prior to last night how I run I would have said I'm a heel striker. I've just never really analyzed me foot strike before. Now, if only I was elite. Or even fast.

                  So, in my case, this running style certainly hasn't made me injury proof. Perhaps I'd have been injured worse or more often with a heel strike style but I have to say it's been no silver bullet against the common running injuries.

                  Comment

                  • cowboy
                    Homer Weems
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 5740

                    #39
                    Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    I hadn't really thought about this forefoot stuff until reading this thread and I hadn't run since early Saturday. I read about it in a book I mentioned earlier that bluegoose showed me and then last night was my first run since reading all of this stuff. I had no plans to change anything before my marathon and in fact hadn't been thinking about this stuff until about a mile into my run when I realized I am a mid/forefoot striker already. I don't strike my heels at all and roll midfoot to forefoot. If you had asked me prior to last night how I run I would have said I'm a heel striker. I've just never really analyzed me foot strike before. Now, if only I was elite. Or even fast.

                    So, in my case, this running style certainly hasn't made me injury proof. Perhaps I'd have been injured worse or more often with a heel strike style but I have to say it's been no silver bullet against the common running injuries.
                    The interesting thing about this thread is that I have been TRYING to be a heel striker. I thought that was the way I was supposed to run. But I notice that on long runs after walking through a water stop, or when running a recovery run on sore muscles, or when recovering from an injury, I resort to mid-foot striking and my foot hitting the ground directly under my hips because it doesn't hurt as much to run that way. Now I know why.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

                    Comment

                    • Mrs. Funk
                      Lawyer Wannabe
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2690

                      #40
                      Since I can remember, I've run on the balls of my feet. I don't know much about body mechanics, but I also walked on my toes until I was about 13. I had such tight calf muscles and weak ankles that I sprained both ankles about four times in the course of a year. I went to physical therapy, where my PT spent months getting me to walk heel-toe and loosening up my calves. Subsequent to this, my running stride has never felt right and I end up with aching knees after more than 10 minutes.

                      Thoughts? I would run more if it didn't hurt so much.
                      "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                      Comment

                      • Rosebud
                        sledgirl
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 1363

                        #41
                        This is a total all-about-me, idea-generating brainstorm post.... nothing more. Hope some of it might be applicable or at least of interest....

                        I put on two pairs of socks today and managed to run on jagged sidewalks without any injuries. It was a good exercise, but the hard cement/pavement made me miss the spring in my running shoes. I'm for sure not investing in the five-finger things. Being shoeless made it feel natural striking in the middle/front of my foot at any speed. I'd think that running like that for a couple miles a week would help anyone develop a forefoot strike.

                        My dance training makes me of the opinion that it is critical to get the heel all the way down every strike in order to both take advantage of the maximum foot leverage anatomically available and to better utilize the bend of the knees. I had to think about my technique a bit but it didn't seem to be a problem. The new way of moving would become habit with a little practice (and more sore gastrocs).

                        Not having shoes also made it possible for me to experiment with different amounts of foot articulation at take off. The more I rolled though my feet and pushed off with my toes, the longer each stride was. I'm totally just thinking out loud here, but it seems to me that a runner who utilizes the thrust capabilities of the feet would add speed just because stride length would increase. Maybe once they decide if limbs came before tools came before encephalization, the researchers at Harvard should study some dancers who understand how to push off with their feet.... wonder how their conclusions would change .

                        Comment

                        • cowboy
                          Homer Weems
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 5740

                          #42
                          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          I'm interested in what you think about the running-prey-down hypothesis. I first heard this on the radio during an interview with the author of Born To Run (a book about a native tribe in Mexico with more natural runners than any other population, and who run in sandals).
                          Just thought I'd report that I've been reading/listening to "Born to Run" for the last week or so, and it is fascinating. I even took a few laps barefoot on the treadmill based on the form described in the book. It definitely works different muscles in the calf and foot.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

                          Comment

                          • RobinFinderson
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10548

                            #43
                            Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            Just thought I'd report that I've been reading/listening to "Born to Run" for the last week or so, and it is fascinating. I even took a few laps barefoot on the treadmill based on the form described in the book. It definitely works different muscles in the calf and foot.
                            Faith picked up the Vibram Five Fingers when we were in St. George, and has been using them for increasing distances on our runs. She started off at two miles, but did a six miler with me a couple of nights ago. She is really loving the shoes and the feel of 'barefoot' running.

                            Comment

                            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                              Time to camp
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26082

                              #44
                              Thanks for bumping this cowboy. I had completely forgotten to post about this. I bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers at REI. I ran around the block in them, not great. However they are awesome on the boat!
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

                              Comment

                              • Mr Incredible
                                Faded Pre-Madonna
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 826

                                #45
                                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Thanks for bumping this cowboy. I had completely forgotten to post about this. I bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers at REI. I ran around the block in them, not great. However they are awesome on the boat!
                                Do you wear those with the banana hammock?
                                This space is available.

                                Comment

                                Working...