Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
    If any of you are interested I blog my runs at http://court.fastrunningblog.com/

It's not the most exciting read, but once in a while something interesting happens like falling on my ass or stepping on a dead cat.
    Thanks for that, looks cool. On my 7 mile run last saturday, a pigeon kept swopping down at my water bottle that I had in my hand. Damn thing came down 5 or 6 times, just barely missing me each time.
    "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

I only plan on doing half Marys again this year, but wanted to post for motivation.

This morning

Activity Type: Running
      Time: 00:57:40
      Distance: 5.00 mi
      Elevation Gain: 506 ft
      Calories: 972 C

Not great but it is the longest run I have done this year. Hopefully I will be improving.
      Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        I only plan on doing half Marys again this year, but wanted to post for motivation.

This morning

Activity Type: Running
        Time: 00:57:40
        Distance: 5.00 mi
        Elevation Gain: 506 ft
        Calories: 972 C

Not great but it is the longest run I have done this year. Hopefully I will be improving.
        Good job! Besides the Top of Utah, I signed up for the Provo River Half this year. I just had my best run so far of training this morning. It's still slow compared to most of the guys here, but It's quite an improvement for me.

Activity Type: Street Running
        Event Type: Training
        Time: 00:38:51
        Distance: 4.00 mi
        Elevation Gain: 427 ft
        Calories: 576 C

My average heart rate was 170bpm.
        "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

If any of you are interested I blog my runs at http://court.fastrunningblog.com/

It's not the most exciting read, but once in a while something interesting happens like falling on my ass or stepping on a dead cat.
          I started a blog on June 1st. I am way more consistent tracking my training online than writing it down. I will most likely regret giving the address out, but here it is:

Rants and Runs

I have links to your blog and ewth8tr's on there. If you guys don't want them there, just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
            I started a blog on June 1st. I am way more consistent tracking my training online than writing it down. I will most likely regret giving the address out, but here it is:

Rants and Runs

I have links to your blog and ewth8tr's on there. If you guys don't want them there, just let me know.
            Who's the 12-year old in the top right corner? Is that your son?

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
              I will most likely regret giving the address out, but here it is:
              Who's the 12-year old in the top right corner? Is that your son?
              Dammit. I knew it!

Comment

That's fine with me.

Also, I have been meaning to ask you, since you don't run on the road much, do you mostly run on the Jordan River Parkway? I have just been running on the roads, but as I get into the longer distances, I've been thinking of trying to find somewhere else to run.

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                  That's fine with me.

Also, I have been meaning to ask you, since you don't run on the road much, do you mostly run on the Jordan River Parkway? I have just been running on the roads, but as I get into the longer distances, I've been thinking of trying to find somewhere else to run.
                  This is the great thing about living where I do. There are miles and miles of trails/paths for running on. On the long 11 miler I did two weeks ago I did some running on the road (I was surprised at how much softer asphalt is than concrete) but that's been it, for the most part (other than sleepy residential streets).

For my really long runs, I'm going a bit north to a town that has over 50 miles of dedicated greenbelt running/biking/walking trails.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    This is the great thing about living where I do. There are miles and miles of trails/paths for running on. On the long 11 miler I did two weeks ago I did some running on the road (I was surprised at how much softer asphalt is than concrete) but that's been it, for the most part (other than sleepy residential streets).

For my really long runs, I'm going a bit north to a town that has over 50 miles of dedicated greenbelt running/biking/walking trails.
                    When I was in Houston last summer I ran a few times along a cement river that was kind of stinky. It would have been a great place to run if it wasn't for the scary homeless camps and the fact that it was kind of stinky.

Comment

• Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                      That's fine with me.

I probably do 95% of my running on the JRP. It's awesome. There's a trailhead 3/4 of a mile from my front door, and I can go about 6 miles south, or there are two trails that go north, one is 1.5 miles, the other is a mile. So round trip I can get in about 17 miles without ever running on the street. The best part is that you don't have to worry about cars and dogs. I can't wait until they get the whole thing connected.

I think I'm going to go run my 20 milers on the parkway next to the Legacy Highway later this summer. It's 13 miles in either direction, and looks mostly flat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                        When I was in Houston last summer I ran a few times along a cement river that was kind of stinky. It would have been a great place to run if it wasn't for the scary homeless camps and the fact that it was kind of stinky.
                        I'm guessing you were running next to the Buffalo Bayou?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                          The best part is that you don't have to worry about cars and dogs.
                          I almost killed a dog the other night. Running about twighlight, family with four dogs, one off leash, another big one with only a kid holding it. Passed them twice. The off leash one (small thing) actually got a tooth in my running shoe. I almost stopped and literally killed it, after which I would have run off into the sunset.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            I almost killed a dog the other night. Running about twighlight, family with four dogs, one off leash, another big one with only a kid holding it. Passed them twice. The off leash one (small thing) actually got a tooth in my running shoe. I almost stopped and literally killed it, after which I would have run off into the sunset.
                            I got bit on the ass once while running in Harrisburg, PA. Now I'm a little jumpy whenever I see/hear dogs. Sometimes I pack heat (pepper spray) but the odds of having it ready when I actually need it are pretty slim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                              I got bit on the ass once while running in Harrisburg, PA. Now I'm a little jumpy whenever I see/hear dogs. Sometimes I pack heat (pepper spray) but the odds of having it ready when I actually need it are pretty slim.
                              I've got pepper spray as well, but I know myself too well. I can pretty much guaran-damn-tee that in my haste, I would end up spraying myself in the face and falling to the ground, thus making the mauling even worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                                I've got pepper spray as well, but I know myself too well. I can pretty much guaran-damn-tee that in my haste, I would end up spraying myself in the face and falling to the ground, thus making the mauling even worse.
                                Pepper spray is not a bad idea. To be clear, the dog I almost killed was a pomeranian or some such tiny thing. Sure, it'll bite the hell out of my hands, but I'm pretty confident I can kill it in the meantime.

If a bigger dog ever attacked, I would run to the nearest lake and outswim the thing (and pray no gators had moved in - we do have them around here). And then sue the daylights out of the owner. Just to send a message.

Comment

Working...
                                X