Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    Is that one of the Advanced Marathoning programs? I don't know much about them, but the two people I know who ran Boston used those programs to get ready. Pretty heavy on miles, right?

I have a StG lingering ache, too. I'm virtually always careful to tie my shoes to a certain tightness when I run. However, I tied my left shoe somewhat tighter than usual on race morning. I thought about doing it again, but I moved on to something else and ran the whole race that way. The top of my foot has ached ever since. I'm hoping it goes away at some point. It doesn't impede my training and isn't getting worse, so I'm just monitoring it for now.
    I bought the book on nikus recommendation and I really like it--much better than Higdons book, IMO. I think the title may put off some runners, which is unfortunate, because it has a lot of good info for runners of all levels. Yes, the plans are higher on mileage, but I think it's worth a read even if you don't do the plans.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
      Well, I just got a copy of The Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training. I suppose thus begins my Marathon training. It's going to take over a year, and I'm not convinced I can do it. I wasn't convinced I could ever run a 5k, or a 10k, but I've done both now. The plan is to run monthly 5k/10ks and work towards the Hospital Hill half-marathon in June 1st 2013. If I miss that, there is the Kansas City half-marathon in October 2013. I'm a Kansas City native, born and raised and I would like my first Marathon to be the Kansas City Marathon in October 2014. This seems very ambitious to me. I'm currently nursing sore knees and haven't run much at all lately. I don't know if I'll ever make it, but I didn't think I'd ever lose nearly 80 lbs either, or run a 10k. I'll not clog up your Marathon thread much, but I suppose this is the tentative beginning of my training for a Marathon.
      Congrats! I think your plan sounds perfect. Smart not to rush to a marathon--better to get your feet wet in the other distances.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Was thinking about those that are supposed to do the NYC marathon this weekend. As of right now they are going to run it as scheduled. So hard to even travel there at this moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
          Is that one of the Advanced Marathoning programs? I don't know much about them, but the two people I know who ran Boston used those programs to get ready. Pretty heavy on miles, right?
          Yes, it's heavier on miles, but they are "easier" miles, if that makes sense. The title of the program indicates weeks/miles - so 12/70 is a twelve week program that peaks at 70 miles a week. I would have liked the 18/70 but I only have 12 weeks to the race. I am in the middle of week two, and it has some serious mid-week runs (12 yesterday, 11 today, 5 tomorrow, 9 Friday, 5 Saturday, 17 Sunday) but they are easy paced.

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I bought the book on nikus recommendation and I really like it--much better than Higdons book, IMO. I think the title may put off some runners, which is unfortunate, because it has a lot of good info for runners of all levels. Yes, the plans are higher on mileage, but I think it's worth a read even if you don't do the plans.
          Agreed completely. The science stuff in the beginning is invaluable. After one week of the program I'm seeing improvement (no doubt related to my last training cycle as well); I had to fight to keep my speed slow today.

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          Congrats! I think your plan sounds perfect. Smart not to rush to a marathon--better to get your feet wet in the other distances.
          What ER said (despite the fact that I may be the poster child for the opposite argument). And, lambda, don't worry about intruding on "our" thread; if you're training for a marathon, this is now your thread too.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
            Well, I just got a copy of The Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training. I suppose thus begins my Marathon training. It's going to take over a year, and I'm not convinced I can do it. I wasn't convinced I could ever run a 5k, or a 10k, but I've done both now. The plan is to run monthly 5k/10ks and work towards the Hospital Hill half-marathon in June 1st 2013. If I miss that, there is the Kansas City half-marathon in October 2013. I'm a Kansas City native, born and raised and I would like my first Marathon to be the Kansas City Marathon in October 2014. This seems very ambitious to me. I'm currently nursing sore knees and haven't run much at all lately. I don't know if I'll ever make it, but I didn't think I'd ever lose nearly 80 lbs either, or run a 10k. I'll not clog up your Marathon thread much, but I suppose this is the tentative beginning of my training for a Marathon.
            Go for it! I find that aiming high takes me the farthest, even if I don't always hit the target.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Got picked in the Lottery for Ogden. This will be #4 for me. All in Ogden.

I'm hoping to expand my horizon a little and will be applying for St. George again. If that doesn't work out, I may sign up for one of the other fall runs around the state.

Comment

• Bloomberg finally pulled his head out and just cancelled the New York Marathon this weekend. I can't believe it took this long. How disgusting would it have been that they could haul in all that water for marathoners but not residents without power and heat. I know four people who were supposed to run it and had to listen to them whine about their cancelled flights and how it "wasn't going to be a fun trip now." Gross.
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                  Bloomberg finally pulled his head out and just cancelled the New York Marathon this weekend. I can't believe it took this long. How disgusting would it have been that they could haul in all that water for marathoners but not residents without power and heat. I know four people who were supposed to run it and had to listen to them whine about their cancelled flights and how it "wasn't going to be a fun trip now." Gross.
                  I have been preaching this all day at work. The general opinion of the office is that if even I am in favor of cancellation, you know it's got to be cancelled.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I finished week one of my official marathon training. 3 miles on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and 7.3 miles (program said 6 but I'm ready for more) on Friday. Did a 16 mile bike ride today that was supposed to be 25, but a chronic flat tire forced me to cut it short.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Week 2 is in the bag:

M - 3.1 (new 5K PR)
                      T - 3.1
                      W - 3.1
                      F - 8

Today's run of 8 miles was very good. I was averaging around 9:10, which is my target marathon pace. About mile 6 I really, really started to feel good. I had hit my stride, my heart rate was low (it actually dropped 2-3 beats) and my breathing/hydration felt good. I kicked it up a notch and finished the last 2 miles around an 8:30 pace. I still felt really good even after I stopped....like good enough I felt I could do the 8 miles again.

I'm beginning to believe I can not only run a marathon, but I really think I might be able to break 4 hours. My body is responding well to the increased miles. I wonder if I'm getting too confident.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Week 2 is in the bag:

M - 3.1 (new 5K PR)
                        T - 3.1
                        W - 3.1
                        F - 8

Today's run of 8 miles was very good. I was averaging around 9:10, which is my target marathon pace. About mile 6 I really, really started to feel good. I had hit my stride, my heart rate was low (it actually dropped 2-3 beats) and my breathing/hydration felt good. I kicked it up a notch and finished the last 2 miles around an 8:30 pace. I still felt really good even after I stopped....like good enough I felt I could do the 8 miles again.

I'm beginning to believe I can not only run a marathon, but I really think I might be able to break 4 hours. My body is responding well to the increased miles. I wonder if I'm getting too confident.
                        Dude you're tearin' this thing up. I'm assuming the shin is still problem-free? Are you doing the long run in your Frees? How do you feel them holding up under the pressure of more miles?

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                          Dude you're tearin' this thing up. I'm assuming the shin is still problem-free? Are you doing the long run in your Frees? How do you feel them holding up under the pressure of more miles?
                          Yeah thanks, the shin is good. Every once in a while I feel some pressure down there but it goes away and it's not in the same place so I think I'm good.

I do my Monday runs in Vibrams and the rest in the Frees. It actually took a while to strengthen my feet enough to where I could go over 4-5 miles without them hurting the next day. The new stride took some getting used to, both with the Vibrams and the Frees, but I think I'm there now. There were a few times in the summer that I put on traditional shoes for a run just because my feet hurt so much, but I was careful with the mileage and even took a week off here or there to let them rest. I'm too the point that the 8 mile run won't hurt today or tomorrow. I'll be tired, but likely won't be sore and certainly not hurting.

I was having some shin issues about a month or so ago, but I noticed I was starting to take longer strides and not bending my knees. I now pay more attention to that and ever since I've made that tweak, things are really good.

I'm enjoying the training. I'm just hoping I stay healthy. I'm officially signed up for my marathon so there's no backing out now unless I get hurt.

Comment

• Week 3 is in the bag:

M - 3.1
                            T - 4
                            W - 3.1
                            F - 6.2

This was a step back week, which I needed. My legs were really tired M-W but I felt really good this morning. I put down a 52:30 10K this morning, which felt great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Week 3 is in the bag:

M - 3.1
                              T - 4
                              W - 3.1
                              F - 6.2

This was a step back week, which I needed. My legs were really tired M-W but I felt really good this morning. I put down a 52:30 10K this morning, which felt great.
                              Sounds like you're doing well.

I registered for Ogden a couple of days ago (drew out a couple of weeks ago, just hadn't registered). So I'm working on the mileage buildup to do official training beginning in January.

Still messing with a bad calf. Got in 2.5 miles today alternating walking and running - but the good news is that the calf isn't sore at all. I have hope!

Comment

• I'm in week 3 of a Runner's World/HH hybrid program that I'm winging and due to weather and dr appts, I couldn't get 4 runs in but I've been feeling a few more small tweaks than normal, so the rest may be good. But I'll follow Mol's lead and provide a little accountability.

M - 3.1 (new 5k PR)
                                Th - 4.5 (night run was a different beast for me)
                                Sat - 9.55
                                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X