No announcement yet.

Backpacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw this on Instagram today, is this the same place?
    *Banned*

Comment

• That water is gorgeous.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        Saw this on Instagram today, is this the same place?
        Similar layout, but not the same place.

Comment

• First time I've looked at this thread. These are great write-ups and pics, BG, SB and others. Thanks for sharing!
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Got a permit today to take the 4th year girls on their trip tomorrow. Going up the Little Lakes Valley (Mosquito Flat trailhead, which is a very unfortunate name). This place is great for beginners as the trailhead is at 10,300 ft. Makes for easy access to the high sierra. Probably going to stay at Chickenfoot lake or Gem lakes. Only will climb about 500 ft over 3 to 3.5 miles. It will be good to get out of the heat.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              Got a permit today to take the 4th year girls on their trip tomorrow. Going up the Little Lakes Valley (Mosquito Flat trailhead, which is a very unfortunate name). This place is great for beginners as the trailhead is at 10,300 ft. Makes for easy access to the high sierra. Probably going to stay at Chickenfoot lake or Gem lakes. Only will climb about 500 ft over 3 to 3.5 miles. It will be good to get out of the heat.
              I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance right now, and he's talking about ego climbers and selfless climbers. May your trip be filled with selfless climbers. I'm a selfless climber. If I decide to climb something, I don't care if I ever get to the top, I'm more about seeing what's on the sides of the mountain while I'm going up and down it.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance right now, and he's talking about ego climbers and selfless climbers. May your trip be filled with selfless climbers. I'm a selfless climber. If I decide to climb something, I don't care if I ever get to the top, I'm more about seeing what's on the sides of the mountain while I'm going up and down it.
                I love that section. It's a perfect analogy for so many aspects of life. I wonder how many times I've started a EQ comment with, In the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance..."
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                  I love that section. It's a perfect analogy for so many aspects of life. I wonder how many times I've started a EQ comment with, In the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance..."
                  Being a birder means that I don't necessarily have to be going somewhere all the time because wherever I am means that there's something to do. I am literally never bored if I have my eyes, ears, and daylight.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    The girls thatI know that are going are easy going. Should be no problems.

I am the other way. If I set our to climb something, I am going to make it. When I did Mt Sill a number of years ago, I enjoyed the view along the way, but I was not going to be deterred from getting up that Class 3 stuff. Though on the trip I took 2 summers ago, I got to the top of the pass on the way to Marion Peak and my friend freaked out. He doesn't like heights and from the perspective we had, he just felt like he could not make it. So we set off on on our way.

This is the approach that we were looking at:

So that gave him a panic attack essentially, but then we continued on the ridge the other way making a transverse that is not really even described in any books, but found our way to this point:

And had to make our way around that bolder my friend is standing by an head down the slope that is showing on the lower left. He had no problems doing that even though it was pretty steep. The mind is funny that way sometimes.

Man that was a great trip.

I need to take some time and write up a report sometime, it has only been 2 years, but I keep putting it off.
                    Last edited by BigPiney; 06-23-2016, 04:51 PM. Reason: too dumb to get the pictures right

Comment

• This weekend was the 5th annual dudes backpacking trip into the Trinity Alps. We have had extraordinarily nice weather this year, starting with a fairly wet winter with a lot of snow. We also haven't had any forest fires anywhere near here, so the air quality has been as good as I've seen it in the 16 years that I've been in this area.

For our 5th year we decided to return to the location of our first guys trip to the alps- the Canyon Creek Lakes. Two of the guys in our group didn't join us on that first trip, so we thought it would good to let them see that area.

Canyon Creek Lakes is known as the I-80 of the Alps. It is a fairly accessible trailhead and the trail itself is not too challenging. So it sees a lot of traffic. Some estimates have the trailhead at up to 500 hikers on any given summer weekend. This weekend was no different, as the parking lot was mostly full when we arrived on Thursday afternoon. But the nice thing about this area is that it is so massive that it never feels crowded, even on the busiest weekends of the summer.

The hike in to our base camp is just shy of 6 miles from the trailhead. There are a few climbs and descents, with a total net gain of about 2,000 feet in elevation. After the first mile, in which we pass through an old burn area, the hike is absolutely gorgeous, passing through lush forests, high alpine meadows, through 5 foot tall fern groves, over towering granite cliffs and next to roaring waterfalls. You get to experience everything that makes the Alps great in a short 6 mile hike.

We were happy to find that our first choice of campgrounds was available, right at the base of the Middle Canyon Creek Falls. We arrived just before sunset and then stayed up way too late hanging out around the campfire.

The next morning we awoke at first light and got ready to head out on our day hike. Our original destination was the area's namesake, the upper and lower Canyon Creek Lakes. These are two incredible alpine lakes, set in deep granite cirques with Thompson Peak, the highest peak in the Alps, guarding the north end on the drainage.

After spending some time at the lakes having lunch and swimming in the frigid water, Steelblue and I decided to explore the cliffs on the northeast side of the lake and to search for L Lake. It was said to be an easy 1 mile scramble, but it turned out to be neither easy, nor 1 mile, as we initially had a hard time finding the marked route up the mountain.

L lake was absolutely gorgeous and worth the effort to find it. It was set in a steep granite basin, with towering cliffs of about 2,000 vertical feet on 3 sides. It was a very lush area, compared to the Canyon Creek Lakes. Unfortunately, along with all of the lush vegetation came hoards of mosquitos. We spent the minimum amount of time there to look around and appreciate the scenery before scampering out of there to the safety of the mosquito-less lower lakes.

In all we hiked about 9 miles that second day.

The third day, instead of doing more hiking as initially planned, we never strayed more than about 200 yards from camp, lounging around camp and swimming in the pools at the base of the falls. A very relaxing day.

Knowing the weather down in the valley would be blazing hot, we arose early the next day to get an early start on the hike out, arriving back at the cars in very comfortable conditions.

I love my annual backpacking trips, and this one was just as successful and enjoyable as the previous four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Do you have to get wilderness permits for this area? And if so are there quotas?

My son is going on a 50 miler next week and the permit is capped at 14 walk-in a day. That is a ton for around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Do you have to get wilderness permits for this area? And if so are there quotas?

My son is going on a 50 miler next week and the permit is capped at 14 walk-in a day. That is a ton for around here.
                          Yes, wilderness and fire permits. But I've never heard of them capping the number of hikers anywhere in the Trinity alps.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                            Yes, wilderness and fire permits. But I've never heard of them capping the number of hikers anywhere in the Trinity alps.

Most of the trailheads in my area have quotas. https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC...rdb5143453.pdf

That eliminates the 500 people per weekend thing. Though it sounds like you found some solitude, so not a big deal.

No fires over 10,000 ft here, so for the most part, there will be no need to get fire permits.

Comment

• I never reported back on the girls camp hike I did. It was great. Girls did well and the scenery was awesome.
                              This was our campsite at Chickenfoot lake. This is 3 miles in.

The views of Bear Creek Spire were great.

Fun intro to backpacking for the kids and one of the leaders.

Looking out onto the lake from our campsite.

Comment

• Unbelievable.

I was waiting by the computer all morning today, finger on mouse, ready to click and reserve a campsite in Yosemite valley for this summer. I clicked at exactly 7:00:00. By the time the reservation page had loaded, no more than 5-10 seconds, the campsite was gone. Reloaded the site page to get a different site and the entire place was emptied out. Within a minute about 500 sites in Yosemite valley were gone.

Looked further outside the valley and found a few sites at crane flat, about 17 miles from the valley. Booked one site, then texted steelblue to see if he wanted one as well. He responded within a minute and I returned to the reservation page just in time to grab the last site in the park for that weekend. 5 minutes, and the place was cleaned out. Unreal.

Now my fingers are crossed that I get drawn in the half dome lottery for that weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X