Backpacking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16938

    #286
    Great to see, BP. I thought you'd meet them wherever the PCT/JMT crosses a road. I didn't realize you'd be hiking in. At least the hike back was easier, I presume, than the hike in. And I'm amazed the girls are smiling after all that.

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12367

      #287
      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Great to see, BP. I thought you'd meet them wherever the PCT/JMT crosses a road. I didn't realize you'd be hiking in. At least the hike back was easier, I presume, than the hike in. And I'm amazed the girls are smiling after all that.
      Unfortunately for me this was as close as a road will get for the first 185 miles of their trip. The hike back was way easier, about 25 lbs lighter I would guess. Gained just over 4000 ft today, and that is one of the easier passes in the Sierra.

      Comment

      • PaloAltoCougar
        Semper infra dignitatem
        • Nov 2008
        • 16938

        #288
        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Unfortunately for me this was as close as a road will get for the first 185 miles of their trip. The hike back was way easier, about 25 lbs lighter I would guess. Gained just over 4000 ft today, and that is one of the easier passes in the Sierra.
        I saw your hike on Strava. Packing food-for-three up a rugged 4.5 mile stretch with an average slope of 11% or so is okay I guess. More impressed by the ladies, however.

        Comment

        • bluegoose
          7th round draft pick
          • Nov 2008
          • 4121

          #289
          Nice picture. They're pretty bundled up there. Cold temps? Hard to believe that's possible with the crazy hot weather we've been having here up north.

          Comment

          • BigPiney
            Huge Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 12367

            #290
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            I saw your hike on Strava. Packing food-for-three up a rugged 4.5 mile stretch with an average slope of 11% or so is okay I guess. More impressed by the ladies, however.
            Absolutely, the 8 year old is killing it. She crushed a lot of spirits the day she hiked Whitney. Passed a lot of people like they were standing still.
            Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            Nice picture. They're pretty bundled up there. Cold temps? Hard to believe that's possible with the crazy hot weather we've been having here up north.
            It has been bit stormy down here. The weather was perfect when I was up there with them, probably 70 with just a few sprinkles. Mostly the jackets were for the mosquitoes while they sat around and read books for a hour while they waited for me to show up.

            Comment

            • splitbamboo
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 130

              #291
              This is so cool. Beats Girls Camp.

              Comment

              • SteelBlue
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 8189

                #292
                Wow, Piney, that is seriously impressive. I'd be a nervous wreck though.

                Comment

                • BigPiney
                  Huge Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 12367

                  #293
                  A little late on the update. Things have been crazy at home.

                  Last Thursday I hiked over Bishop Pass to meet then at LeConte Canyon in Kings Canyon National Park.

                  They are still doing very well and I was able to stay the night with them and survived a big thunderstorm. I had borrowed a single wall tent with a nice waterproof bottom that was able to withstand the 2 inches of water that was flowing under the tent in the middle of the night. My wife was loaded up with probably close to 60 lbs on friday and they had a 7 mile climb with 3000 ft of elevation to do. I don't know how she was going to make it. She says the pack is not fitting as well since she estimates she has lost a least an inch off her waist and is now under 120 lbs. I thought I was going to die bringing all that food in to them, I am not sure how she is doing it.

                  Here they are in their tent, trying to make the out of doors look like their room.



                  Just above their camp.



                  LeConte Canyon looking up towards Muir Pass, where they were going to hike on Friday.




                  If they are able to push themselves I should be getting a call tomorrow night letting me know they are in Mammoth. If not we are planning of driving up Thursday and spending night with them at Devils Postpile. They hope to be done a week from today or possible earlier.

                  Comment

                  • BigPiney
                    Huge Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12367

                    #294
                    I saw them of Thursday. 180 miles down, 60 to go.

                    They should be done Monday or Tuesday. It has rained entirely too much, but they are still doing well.

                    The 8 yr old may bail a day early when they get to Tuolomne meadows in Yosemite. If so I will be getting a call tomorrow evening. She has done awesome, but I think is ready to be done. Mainly she misses her brother who is 6.

                    Comment

                    • bluegoose
                      7th round draft pick
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4121

                      #295
                      Did I see some pics of snow in Yosemite the other day? Tioga pass, maybe?

                      Comment

                      • BigPiney
                        Huge Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12367

                        #296
                        Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                        Did I see some pics of snow in Yosemite the other day? Tioga pass, maybe?
                        They had to close the pass for a while. Hope it is melting.

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #297
                          Didn't see this until now. That's amazing BP. Looking at my 9 year old and there is no way she would even want to attempt something like this.

                          We just had our High Adventure. Being the great scouter that I am I planned a week in the Outer Banks full of activities like bodyboarding, sunbathing, a baseball game, and an all you can eat seafood buffet. I had one parent ask me what kind of High Adventure this was and I replied the kind you get when I am put in charge of scouts. I can honestly say that your girls are 100x tougher than my YM. There is no way that they could have handled something like this. They were upset that it was too windy most nights to play Magic the Gathering. No way their packs could have held their decks.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16938

                            #298
                            My respect for your women is off the charts. If the youngest bails, where will your wife and the other daughter go after Tuolumne Meadows? On my much more modest trip in that area, we went down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne which is spectacular. Is the missus carrying more than one bear canister?

                            Comment

                            • ERCougar
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10978

                              #299
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Didn't see this until now. That's amazing BP. Looking at my 9 year old and there is no way she would even want to attempt something like this.

                              We just had our High Adventure. Being the great scouter that I am I planned a week in the Outer Banks full of activities like bodyboarding, sunbathing, a baseball game, and an all you can eat seafood buffet. I had one parent ask me what kind of High Adventure this was and I replied the kind you get when I am put in charge of scouts. I can honestly say that your girls are 100x tougher than my YM. There is no way that they could have handled something like this. They were upset that it was too windy most nights to play Magic the Gathering. No way their packs could have held their decks.
                              Seriously. 24 consecutive 10 mile days (in that kind of terrain, no less) is no joke. I don't know that many scouts could pull that off.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69716

                                #300
                                I told my wife about Sister Piney and her daughters and shared some photos. She is in awe.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...