Backpacking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37988

    #226
    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    I used to have a pair of vasque sundowners that I loved. But I can't remember the last time I wore boots. Maybe it's because I'm in southern Utah. Why do you want boots? They are heavy and really don't give you actual functional support, do they? (Ill defer to the pt's on this, but I'm very skeptical of ankle braces...even more so of boots). What do you get out of boots that you don't get out of a good trail runner? (Honest question...I've wondered for a while if I should get some again)
    How can you be skeptical of ankle braces?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • ERCougar
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10978

      #227
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      How can you be skeptical of ankle braces?
      I guess it depends on the brace, but unless they are really supportive (ie really uncomfortable), I don't think they do much. I haven't looked into it in 10+ years, but when I did, I came away with the impression that basketball players really should be going to low top shoes. Now they are. I feel vindicated.

      They just have the look of something that just doesn't come very close to doing what it's claiming to do. Like k tape. But I'm open to convincing. I'm sure bluegoose/steelblue will chip in here.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

      Comment

      • Paperback Writer
        Signature won a Pulitzer
        • Nov 2010
        • 5211

        #228
        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        I used to have a pair of vasque sundowners that I loved. But I can't remember the last time I wore boots. Maybe it's because I'm in southern Utah. Why do you want boots? They are heavy and really don't give you actual functional support, do they? (Ill defer to the pt's on this, but I'm very skeptical of ankle braces...even more so of boots). What do you get out of boots that you don't get out of a good trail runner? (Honest question...I've wondered for a while if I should get some again)
        In my case, I need the extra ankle support boots offer. I even wear high-top dress shoes because I use stairs quite often and have periods when my ankels buckle. However, I do run/jog in running shoes but that's always on flat surfaces. But when on the elipse, I'm back in high-tops. I do think boots give me much needed ankle support and wouldn't consider trail runners when carrying a 40-50 lb backpack. But this could just be "mental". I've often thought that when I see fellow hikers wearing trailrunners as they pass me on the trail.

        As far as the Vasque Sundowners, I was leaning that way. Those boots do have a following. But I read that there's now a big drop in quality since the manufactoring has been moved to China from Italy. It seems that owners who had their Sundowners for years continue to be pleased but newer owners of Sundowners are not.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

        Comment

        • PaloAltoCougar
          Semper infra dignitatem
          • Nov 2008
          • 16938

          #229
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I used to have a pair of vasque sundowners that I loved. But I can't remember the last time I wore boots. Maybe it's because I'm in southern Utah. Why do you want boots? They are heavy and really don't give you actual functional support, do they? (Ill defer to the pt's on this, but I'm very skeptical of ankle braces...even more so of boots). What do you get out of boots that you don't get out of a good trail runner? (Honest question...I've wondered for a while if I should get some again)
          The soles of my feet are really sensitive (no bare feet in the supermarket for me!)--I suspect my feet could sense a pea underneath a dozen mattresses. The few backpack trips I've done (two > 50 miles and several training treks) included a fair amount of rocky terrain. With a pair of sturdy boots with great soles, I felt like a monster truck crushing anything underfoot. But if the path were relatively smooth, I could get by with a pair of ordinary hiking boots or trail shoes.

          Comment

          • Dwight Schr-ute
            Members Only
            • May 2011
            • 4917

            #230
            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            I guess it depends on the brace, but unless they are really supportive (ie really uncomfortable), I don't think they do much. I haven't looked into it in 10+ years, but when I did, I came away with the impression that basketball players really should be going to low top shoes. Now they are. I feel vindicated.

            They just have the look of something that just doesn't come very close to doing what it's claiming to do. Like k tape. But I'm open to convincing. I'm sure bluegoose/steelblue will chip in here.
            My boots laced tight with a touch of lavender and I've never had an ankle problem. Most likely it's the lavender, but I keep wearing the boots for good luck.
            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

            Comment

            • creekster
              It is NOT a monkey!
              • Nov 2008
              • 22661

              #231
              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              I used to have a pair of vasque sundowners that I loved. But I can't remember the last time I wore boots. Maybe it's because I'm in southern Utah. Why do you want boots? They are heavy and really don't give you actual functional support, do they? (Ill defer to the pt's on this, but I'm very skeptical of ankle braces...even more so of boots). What do you get out of boots that you don't get out of a good trail runner? (Honest question...I've wondered for a while if I should get some again)
              I had some Vasques that I really liked and used for many years (not sundowners but some sort of mid to lightweight boot). I got the Asolos when I decided to do my first really big climb over lots of rock and scree. I expected I would only use them for fully laden back packing. I liked them so much, however, that I have used them for all my hiking. I think the boots offer some advantages, such as a stiff sole for rocky areas, the higher top keeps scree and stuff out longer so you don't have to gaiter up as soon, the higher tops, when laced up properly, also tend to keep me from getting hammer toe on long and steep descents. They are heavier, no question, but they are very durable and, in general, the heavier duty boot also protects my feet better in rougher terrain. But if you like the trail runners there is no reason not to use them. Whatever works for you, right?
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

              Comment

              • Sullyute
                a day late/a dollar short
                • Jul 2010
                • 3308

                #232
                I have really narrow feet and like my shoes really tight. I have owned a pair of Vasque hiking boots for over two decades that I loved, but needed a new pair a few years ago. After trying tons of boots I went with Montrail. They tend to be on the narrow side (which is why i bought them) but I have really enjoyed them with zero problems.
                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                Comment

                • wally
                  <><><><><><><><>
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 4137

                  #233
                  My hiking boots are always my oldest pair of sneakers.

                  Comment

                  • SteelBlue
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8189

                    #234
                    The wife and kids were out of town last week and so I decided to do a quick one night solo trip over the weekend. I settled on the Deadfall Lakes at the base of Mt Eddy which is just northwest of Mt Shasta. Mt Eddy at just over 9,000 feet is the tallest mountain in the Klamaths, but since Mt Shasta at 14,000+ is seriously just across the street, Eddy is the Ryan Lochte of mountains in far NorCal. Most locals can't even point it out. I learned that Eddy has 5,000 feet of prominence, and that the views would be incredible.

                    The Deadfall lakes sit in basins on the west side of Eddy and are easily accessed from two different trails. The PCT gets you to the Lakes over basically flat 4 miles and the Deadfall Meadows trail gets you to the lakes in 3 miles but is a steep route. Everything I read said the shorter, steeper route was much prettier so I selected this as my route. I was well rewarded. As you can see the Meadow began right at the trailhead and stayed lush like this nearly all 3 miles. There were several creek crossings involved and I was glad to have my Gortex boots as I stayed dry.

                    image.jpg



                    I arrived at Lower Deadfall Lake much quicker than I'd anticipated. It took just under an hour. I scouted the lake and found a couple of nice camp sites, but having just been in the Trinities, this lake was less than impressive.
                    image.jpg


                    I decided to head to Middle Deadfall which is 3 times bigger and described as much prettier.



                    Middle Deadfall was beautiful, and I set up camp here. It was at this point I first realized that I hadn't packed my fishing pole. Also at this point I realized I'd left my book sitting at home. This changed my plans for the rest of the day, and I spent most of it exploring the 27 acre lake for nice campsites for future trips.

                    image.jpg


                    While exploring, I came across this cairn. I am still baffled by it. Whoever did this would be a hell of a Jenga player.

                    image.jpg

                    I had the entire lake to myself until the evening when I came across a group of college kids who'd set up about 100 yards from me. I realized the lake was far too easy to access when I saw one of the guys with a bottle of beer in one hand and a family size box of cheezits in the other. It's definitely a place where you can go really heavy on the pack without much trouble. I was treated to one of the most beautiful starry skies I've seen in a long time and got a pretty decent night of sleep. I got up early, had some breakfast and then headed up the Mt Eddy summit trail. This took me to Upper Deadfall Lake. A smaller but quite beautiful lake with a nice reflection.

                    image.jpg
                    Last edited by SteelBlue; 06-30-2014, 12:08 PM.

                    Comment

                    • SteelBlue
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8189

                      #235
                      Shortly after Upper Deadfall Lake, you get above the tree line and the red rocks and soil of the Eddy region really stand out. It was like being in the surface of Mars but with wildflowers.
                      image.jpg

                      As I got higher up the views became incredible. Unfortunately, they cannot adequately be captured on an iPhone. But I was treated to stunning views of the Trinity Alps and the Marble Mountains, Castle Crags, Mt Lassen etc... This is looking toward the white Trinity Alps.

                      image.jpg

                      The trail switches back along the west side of Eddy, and it wasn't until the summit that Mt Shasta came into view. Here you saw and felt the full force of Shasta and the difference between 9 and 14. Again, the iPhone does not do this justice, as it compresses the mountain. It was almost a spiritual experience to first see that eastern view. I was also able to see well into Southern Oregon looking north, including Mt McLoughlin, Pilot Rock and Mt Ashland. I was the first one up, and had several minutes to myself before the next hiker emerged. He had come up from LA to add Eddy to his list of "county highs." I surmised from this that he must be unmarried and childless.

                      image.jpg

                      After about a half hour on the summit, I headed back down, packed up, and hiked back out. It was at this point I learned how popular this area is for day hiking. An area I'd essentially had to myself was now as crowded on the PCT as a walmart. I was happy to get back onto my Deadfall Meadows trail and get away from everyone. It too was crowding quickly and when I reached my car, the parking lot which had contained only my car the day before, was packed and overflowing.

                      I snapped one last pic of Shasta on my way out from a ranch in Weed.
                      image.jpg

                      Overall, it was a great trip with an incredibly high return on investment. The views are indescribable and ease of access almost unfair. I highly recommend it as a day hike, and it made for a very fun one nighter, but the camping was a luxury not needed for this hike. Might be my last trip this summer. I'm glad I got it in.
                      Last edited by SteelBlue; 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM.

                      Comment

                      • Dwight Schr-ute
                        Members Only
                        • May 2011
                        • 4917

                        #236
                        Amazing. I'm hopefully only another year out before the family situation is where I feel like I can plan a yearly back packing trip. This thread has been great exposed to parts of California I don't know that I'd get exposed to otherwise.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #237
                          Backpacking

                          I'm supposed to go backpacking Wednesday. But this weekend I stepped on a rusty nail that went into my big tie about half and inch. It really hurt. And it still hurts. I'm hoping it feels Better tomorrow. But I may not make it. :-(

                          Btw, steel, your trip report, as usual, was fantastic.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • SteelBlue
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 8189

                            #238
                            Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            Amazing. I'm hopefully only another year out before the family situation is where I feel like I can plan a yearly back packing trip. This thread has been great exposed to parts of California I don't know that I'd get exposed to otherwise.
                            It's just been the last few years that my youngest has been old enough for me to get away without a divorce. Hope you get to go soon!

                            Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            I'm supposed to go backpacking Wednesday. But this weekend I stepped on a rusty nail that went into my big tie about half and inch. It really hurt. And it still hurts. I'm hoping it feels Better tomorrow. But I may not make it. :-(
                            Thanks. I'm so bummed to read that you're injured. I've been looking forward to your report on this trip for a long time.

                            Comment

                            • chrisrenrut
                              Strikes and Gutters
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 2299

                              #239
                              It wasn't an over-nighter, but I did wear a backpack on a 21 mile solo hike from North Ogden Pass to Ben Lomond, then onto Willard Basin, and then back the same way. It was cloudy at the higher elevations, and much of the hike is along ridge lines. It felt like what I would imagine hiking in Scotland would be like (Ben Lomomd is named after a peak in Scotland).

                              I ran into 4 or 5 groups of hikers. All of them saw multiple mountain goats, and I never saw one

                              This was a training hike. Next Saturday a group of us are hiking Kings Peak in one day.

                              First pic is looking up the ridge from the south to Ben Lomond, which is covered in clouds.

                              Second pic is looking along the ridge just past Ben Lomond towards Willard Peak, also covered in clouds.

                              Third pic is looking down a canyon from the ridge to the west. Willard Bay is at the to center.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-08-2014, 04:12 PM.

                              Comment

                              • SteelBlue
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8189

                                #240
                                Sound like it was a cool trip chrisenrut. Just seeing that fog makes me jealous for some cooler weather. We are likely to have another solid month of high temps here.

                                Comment

                                Working...