Racing Superstitions and Prep

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    Racing Superstitions and Prep

    As I was getting ready for the races this weekend I was contemplating my prep for big races. I have all sorts of things I do:

    Shave chest and legs
    Get haircut
    Gel hair into ridiculous fauxhawk
    Paint toenails

    and things I won't do:

    Wear the race shirt in the race
    Wear the race shirt before I've finished
    Buy anything stickers or plaques commemorating the distance until I've finished (race gear is okay - but no wearing until finish).

    I am sure I have more little quirks.

    This is a thread to share our ridiculous superstitions and routines. I am interested to hear what other do.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • Clark Addison
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10310

    #2
    No carbonated drinks within 24 hours of a race.

    No using race porta-potties for #2. I don't know if that one is really a superstition.

    Make at least three trips to post-race buffet.

    Skip awards ceremony.

    Comment

    • il Padrino Ute
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 19161

      #3
      No racing for me, but before each game, while getting dressed in the locker room, I put each item on in a left-right pattern. Left pants leg, then right pants leg; left sock, then right sock; left shoe, then right shoe; left jersey sleeve, then right jersey sleeve. And it had to be in that very order each game day - pants, socks, shoes, jersey.

      Before the game started, I would scoop up a handful of dirt, rub my hands together then rub my knees to get dirt stains on the pants. Behind the plate before the start of each inning, I would touch each corner of the plate with each foot - left then right, of course. And before each at-bat it was imperative that I step into the box with the front foot first, depending if I was batting left or right handed. Never, never, step into the box with the back foot as that is just begging to strike out.
      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

      Comment

      • lambdacoug
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 3981

        #4
        How long did it take for these superstitions/routines to develop? I'm just curious. I don't recall any superstitions I had while competing in various sports in HS (the last time I did anything comparable). Maybe I just wasn't focused enough.
        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
        - Howard Aiken

        Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

        Comment

        • Pheidippides
          Liberal Feminazi
          • Nov 2008
          • 14759

          #5
          Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
          How long did it take for these superstitions/routines to develop? I'm just curious. I don't recall any superstitions I had while competing in various sports in HS (the last time I did anything comparable). Maybe I just wasn't focused enough.
          Multiple races. The toenail painting is new - trying to cover up the ones that are black/missing. By this time next week only half of my toenails will be normal.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #6
            Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
            How long did it take for these superstitions/routines to develop? I'm just curious. I don't recall any superstitions I had while competing in various sports in HS (the last time I did anything comparable). Maybe I just wasn't focused enough.
            Rubbing dirt on the knees started in little league. The awesome man who ran the little league I played in way back when - he was an old-time semi-pro player from the days of the great depression when blue collar businesses would hire employees in order to have a semi-pro team - ran a clinic for all the kids just after sign-ups so he could teach them the right way to play baseball. One of the things he told us was that you couldn't play properly with a clean uniform, especially pants.

            Everything else just sort of happened throughout high school, the lone exception being touching the corners of the plate before each inning. That was something that we three catchers at Marist came up with. It started my soph year there when the pitching coach was complaining about his staff not having enough control. So we decided that if we touched the corners, it would create some sort of force field that would keep the pitch within the width of the strike zone.

            Yep, baseballers are the most superstitious of all athletes. We're freaks.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #7
              Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
              No racing for me, but before each game, while getting dressed in the locker room, I put each item on in a left-right pattern. Left pants leg, then right pants leg; left sock, then right sock; left shoe, then right shoe; left jersey sleeve, then right jersey sleeve. And it had to be in that very order each game day - pants, socks, shoes, jersey.
              I always did left/right too, though I think I always dress that way with everything. Also always, always wore a gray undershirt. And I always jumped the chalk.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #8
                I used to paint my fingernail as well, but not out of superstition. Used clear nail polish to strengthen them so they wouldn't split.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #9
                  Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  I always did left/right too, though I think I always dress that way with everything. Also always, always wore a gray undershirt. And I always jumped the chalk.
                  Yes, jumping the chalk is a necessity. My undershirt color was always red. School colors. But no school logo. Just a plain red tee.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #10
                    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                    Yep, baseballers are the most superstitious of all athletes. We're freaks.
                    We don't hold a candle to you baseball people.

                    One other thing I do is shave my face. I can't run a hard race with morning stubble. I also must drop a deuce before the gun - doesn't matter if it's at home or at the race.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • Eddie
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 8098

                      #11
                      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      We don't hold a candle to you baseball people.

                      One other thing I do is shave my face. I can't run a hard race with morning stubble. I also must drop a deuce before the gun - doesn't matter if it's at home or at the race.
                      I agree, baseball people are weird.

                      I like to shave and shower the night before a race too. And typically I like to have had a haircut within about a week or so.

                      Eating a couple of hours before the race wakes up my system and helps me take care of business before the race begins. Thus far, I've never had to stop mid-race (knock on wood). However, I've had long training runs where I didn't eat first and ended up having to make a stop.

                      Comment

                      • Joe Public
                        8.1 YPC
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 8530

                        #12
                        I'll wear shorts, shirt, etc. from home/hotel to the race site, but never the socks or shoes in which I will race. I change into those once I park or, for races with a bag check, at the starting line.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                        "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                        Comment

                        • lambdacoug
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 3981

                          #13
                          I find these fascinating. I wonder what strange habits/superstitions I'll form and swear by as I race more. I'm sure I'll develop some, likely based on something I did when I break a PR or accomplish some milestone...but maybe not.

                          Sent from a Jelly Bean
                          Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                          - Howard Aiken

                          Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                          - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                          Comment

                          • Pheidippides
                            Liberal Feminazi
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14759

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            I agree, baseball people are weird.

                            I like to shave and shower the night before a race too. And typically I like to have had a haircut within about a week or so.

                            Eating a couple of hours before the race wakes up my system and helps me take care of business before the race begins. Thus far, I've never had to stop mid-race (knock on wood). However, I've had long training runs where I didn't eat first and ended up having to make a stop.
                            Ooh, eating! Must be oatmeal as soon as I wake up for a marathon. Yesterday morning was no different.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                            Comment

                            Working...