No announcement yet.

The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first round of golf in a couple years.... Played the back 9 of Thanksgiving Point (Yes falafel, we did get all 9 in). It was WINDY as can be and from the blue tees, that posed a major challenge. It was really fun though.

I shot a 49......

Comment

• Played two rounds in Vegas last week. I've lost the ability to putt....and mostly lost the ability to drive, chip and hit irons. When I did hit my driver well, I seemed to be pulling the ball, and was constantly left of the fairway leading to sidehill shots or the rocks, they use for rough down there. On Friday, I quit keeping score after 14 or 15 holes after posting my 4th "7" for the day. I'm guessing I ended up in the high 90s One bright side was decided to play skins for the back nine and somehow I ended up 4 skins, by having 3 good holes. My cart partner, was clearly the best player for the day. However, every time he would par or birdie, someone else would make a miracle shot or long putt to push the hole. After a particularly bad hole (following a gorgeous drive) he went Amare on the golf cart windshield - thankfully golf cart glass is significantly stronger than fire extinguisher glass. He carried his frustration into the final hole (a tough par 4 into the teeth of a strong wind) which allowed me to win the hole and take 2 or 3 skins.

Saturday afternoon I played the Concorde course at The Revere and played infinitely better for 13 or 14 holes. I shot a 41 on the front, then I began to physically and mentally wilt from the Vegas sun. My drives started slicing or getting pulled left, again; I couldn't make 3 foot putts and finished with a 50 on the back

Every year I say this is year I'm going to shoot consistently in the low 80s with the occasional dip into the 70s, but I seem to struggle with same swing faults and mental-midgetry. Like every other aspect of my life, I hate the realization that I'm not nearly as good as I like to think I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
        So my 21 year old son was convinced by his older brother to come and live in Provo for the summer. Hopefully longer. They plan on doing a lot of golfing, so my son requisitioned my 60* wedge for the occasion. That left me with 13 clubs in my bag, so I headed off to Golfsmith today and looked around. One of the salesmen there is a guy I used to play golf with 25 years ago, we got to talking and he told me that all the rage now is the Mizuno MP series wedges, with the "Spinner" Shafts. He said that they create a lot more spin on the ball than the Volkey's. He was a big Volkey fan, but has put 2 of the Mizuno's into his bag to replace his 56* and 60*. So.... I ended up buying this... in the 60* with 5* of bounce.

Mizuno MP-12R 60*-05*

The good news os they make the ball spin like crazy, the bad news is that they chew up and spit out balls like crazy. We'll have to see how that goes...
        Clack,

How are you liking the Mizuno wedge? I'm in the market for a new 60 degree. 5 seems like a low bounce, but I assume it would be preferable for re desert conditions in this side of the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          Clack,

How are you liking the Mizuno wedge? I'm in the market for a new 60 degree. 5 seems like a low bounce, but I assume it would be preferable for re desert conditions in this side of the state.
          Hey, that's a good question.

You've got to understand that I consider myself a good short game player, and feel like I should get it up and down if I'm within 20' of the green. The reason I like the lowest bounce possible is to thwart bouncing the club into the ball and blade-ing it. My old club was a 60/4, and I used it probably about 10 times a round. This last Monday was the first time I used the Mizuno, and I never put 2 and 2 together after the round, but I had 3 or 4 chips that ended up within 6 inches. Since we were playing winter rules, I could clean and place, I really felt that I was going to put the ball in the hole. On one particular hole I had a uphill chip that I wanted to spin hard and make it stop at the hole, and so I hit down on the ball, spun it, and it did one of those things where it gets to the hole and it hit the air brakes. Golf buddy immediately said, "that was cool, I wish I could do that."

The club itself is beautiful. It has a satin two tone finish, and a quad grounded face. When it's in your hands it give you the confidence to try anything. If I keep this superlative writing up.... I'm going to have to get a 56* as well.

In the market? Buy 2.

For the causal golfer: Bounce is the bottom of the club in relation to the leading edge of the face. On wedges with a lot of bounce, (10*+), it keeps you from digging into the soil or sand, and acts like a boat hull, as the bottom of the club is below the leading edge. The effect keeps the club from penetrating the ground because it will deflect or "bounce" off the ground. Clubs with low bounce have a sharp leading edge that is the same or lower than the sole of the club. The bad news is you can go too deep, and the leading edge will catch the dirt and stub the club. The good news is that you also will be less likely to bounce the club into the ball sending it screaming across the green. Pick your poison. One chipping method is to keep your hands and shaft ahead of the club head, and strike down at the ball, rather than trying to "sweep" it up. Hitting down imparts more energy into the ball, and spins the ball more. Spinning the ball more enables the ball to stop more quickly, thus you have better distance control than you would with a low spin runaway ball. Higher handicappers should have more bounce as the probability of stubbing the club is more likely than bouncing the club into the ball. Lower handicappers like a lower bounce for the better control options around the green, because they are more likely to strike the ball "just right" without having to worry about hitting too far behind the ball. Different skill levels have different requirements. High bounce is like playing with a safety net or training wheels, (sand wedge excluded). Low bounce is more risky, but can give the better golfer greater results with a sharper edge leading into the ball.

Jay Santos has talked about Blade-ing the ball - I bet a contributing factor is the high bounce of his club.
          Last edited by clackamascoug; 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Saturday May 12, 2012 Report

41+48=89

Well, I stuck to my resolve to walk, and it showed today. I was plain worn out on the back, and with a double and triple on 10 and 11, that pretty much killed any hope of a decent score. I did birdie 12 though. In 18 holes I had 9 pars, 1 bird, and in the remaining 8 holes I was 18 over par. A nasty snap hook was part of the problem, weak chipping chimed in, and on 16 I hit a perfect 310 yard drive only to find the water at 305 yards out.

Through it all I tried on every shot, and kept a calm jovial demeanor, as I hate when guys who are blowing up and piss and moan about every little thing. Despite the poor scoring and monster holes, I really enjoy 18 holes of golf with my fellow men's club members, and today I felt like a winner.
            Last edited by clackamascoug; 05-12-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              Saturday May 12, 2012 Report

41+48=89

Well, I stuck to my resolve to walk, and it showed today. I was plain worn out on the back, and with a double and triple on 10 and 11, that pretty much killed any hope of a decent score. I did birdie 12 though. In 18 holes I had 9 pars, 1 bird, and in the remaining 8 holes I was 18 over par. A nasty snap hook was part of the problem, weak chipping chimed in, and on 16 I hit a 310 yard drive only to find the water at 305 yards out.

Through it all I tried on every shot, and kept a calm jovial demeanor, as I hate when guys who are blowing up and piss and moan about every little thing. Despite the poor scoring and monster holes, I really enjoy 18 holes of golf with my fellow men's club members, and today I felt like a winner.
              Tired can play a big part in ones game. I have been having the knee problems at night again and no sleep. Last Saturday it acted up during my round and would not go away. Monday I go in and get cortizone shots again. This time it doesn't work. I am taking lori-tab twice a day and that does nothing. I have the week from hell. 2 hours total sleep Tues and Weds nights. Thursday nite I say screw it and take two loritabs at 1:30 and sleep until 4. I am going to cancel playng with my boy in the member guest. However at 10 I see the doctor and we decide to shoot up the left side. I feel better and decide to play.

I am a zombie on the course and shoot 104. I got my chipping shanks back besides. WE did finish 4th gross in our flight with a 77. My boy shot 78 on his own ball. I go home dead. I didn't even eat at the buffet. I finally fall asleep at midnight.

I feel OK this morning, but as a precaution take a lori tab and head off to the course to play in our group. I wasn't tired, but I couldn't swing hard. Crap, I shoot a 84. 20 shots in one day. I had five double bogeys thanks to the chipping woes which didn't go away.
              Last edited by byu71; 05-12-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                I am taking lori-tab twice a day and that does nothing. Thursday nite I say screw it and take two loritabs at 1:30 and sleep until 4.

I feel OK this morning, but as a precaution take a lori tab and head off to the course to play in our group.
                Is this healthy? 71 I'm worried about you. I hope you can get this cured.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  Is this healthy? 71 I'm worried about you. I hope you can get this cured.
                  Thanks, I really appreciate that. For the past 3 years I think I mentioned the leg and behind the knee problems. I lived with it, but it got so bad I couldn't walk more than a block. The knee's causing me not to sleep though only occured occasionaly.

I finally went to a pain clinic and they gave me the first cortizone injection in the L3, L4, and L5. Immediately it had a great affect and up until a week and a half ago I have felt better than I have since 5 years ago. I overdid it. Played golf 4 times a week and somedays 27 and 36 holes. I felt that good.

The leg problem never came back, but as I said the knees came back worse than ever. It will get under control and I will act more maturely with my body and the amount of golf I play.

Again thanks and since your so kind I will tell my kids to let you know when I go so you can send flowers.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post

Again thanks and since your so kind I will tell my kids to let you know when I go so you can send flowers.
                    I think a small patch of bent grass would be more appropriate.

Comment

• 48+45 for my second best round ever of 93. I had a blow up of a triple on the par 5, 15th. I was 120 out right in the middle in 2, couldn't finish. I drove the ball better today for 18 holes than I ever have before. Today should have been sub 90, I'm excited for how I've been playing lately.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        48+45 for my second best round ever of 93. I had a blow up of a triple on the par 5, 15th. I was 120 out right in the middle in 2, couldn't finish. I drove the ball better today for 18 holes than I ever have before. Today should have been sub 90, I'm excited for how I've been playing lately.
                        Hey - that sounds terrific. The woulda/coulda/shoulda is one of my favorite things about golf. Even guys that shoot a 65 grumble in the club house about how that should have made that one putt... Husky... I can feel it in my bones - you're going to be a 15 handicap if you keep at it. I give free lessons to anyone dumb enough to listen, or drive my way.

I'm glad to report that my death march yesterday was not in vain. Woke up a whole 5 pounds lighter this am. Now... If I can keep it off, or play golf everyday.

Comment

• A few years ago sitting around on a Sunday afternoon doing nothing or watching TV stopped making sense to me so I started golfing during this time instead. If you want to play an uncrowded course come to Rexburg and play nine with me some Sunday. It was absolutely beautiful tonight and I was the only one on the nine I was playing. I like to play two balls on some holes or work on some aspects of my game during this time but really it's just a time to get away from it all and chill. When it's 45 degrees and blowing Rexburg is a terrible place to live but it's hard to beat on a beautiful Sunday with the empty roads in the morning for a bike ride and my own little private couse in the evenings. 11-2 church works great with this schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            A few years ago sitting around on a Sunday afternoon doing nothing or watching TV stopped making sense to me so I started golfing during this time instead. If you want to play an uncrowded course come to Rexburg and play nine with me some Sunday. It was absolutely beautiful tonight and I was the only one on the nine I was playing. I like to play two balls on some holes or work on some aspects of my game during this time but really it's just a time to get away from it all and chill. When it's 45 degrees and blowing Rexburg is a terrible place to live but it's hard to beat on a beautiful Sunday with the empty roads in the morning for a bike ride and my own little private couse in the evenings. 11-2 church works great with this schedule.
                            I had a friend who in the day lived in Highland, two houses down from Paul H. Dunn. Most Sunday summer evenings Dunn would play golf and my friend tried talking his wife to let him play golf on Sunday's too, -NO WAY! His wife felt compelled to write to CHQ and report Paul H's Sabbath breaking - and soon thereafter Dunn "retires." Maybe it was a coincidence. (TIC)

To me, playing golf on a Sunday evening would be a huge improvement than watching TV and surfing the internet. Maybe if I listened to conference talks while lining up my putts......
                            Last edited by clackamascoug; 05-14-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• I've had a really bad start to my year. Until today I had yet to break fifty. Last week I played my new club and couldn't hit my new R11s worth beans. However my new Mizuno irons picked up the slack. I started slow with two nines and then made par for four holes in a row. I ran a bogey and a double bogey after than and then melted down and took an eight on the last hole. Still there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

Today I hit Talons Cove for a quick round after work. Things went much better. I was playing one under bogey golf through nine and then carded an eight. Grrrrr! A measlly bogey would have given me a 45. Anyway I had a lot of good shots and my driver was working pretty well. If I can clean up my chipping I will get that 44. Still I'm happy I've finally broken 50! :rockon2:

Thursday I start lessons so hopefully that will get my train rolling a bit better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                I've had a really bad start to my year. Until today I had yet to break fifty. Last week I played my new club and couldn't hit my new R11s worth beans. However my new Mizuno irons picked up the slack. I started slow with two nines and then made par for four holes in a row. I ran a bogey and a double bogey after than and then melted down and took an eight on the last hole. Still there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

Today I hit Talons Cove for a quick round after work. Things went much better. I was playing one under bogey golf through nine and then carded an eight. Grrrrr! A measlly bogey would have given me a 45. Anyway I had a lot of good shots and my driver was working pretty well. If I can clean up my chipping I will get that 44. Still I'm happy I've finally broken 50! :rockon2:

Thursday I start lessons so hopefully that will get my train rolling a bit better.

Be prepared to hit the ball even worse while you are making the changes. Stick with it. If you get on to it you can have some fun. I remember when you connected the ball went for a pretty good ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X