between meals snacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• between meals snacks?

What do you folks who are trying to lose weight or maintain do for between meals snacks?

I'm trying to eat better, which I think has helped for the most part and isn't too difficult at meal time.

But what I struggle with is between time. I used to pick up some chips, a couple of cookies, or a donut when it was between meal times and I was hungry. Now I don't want to blow the effort at the gym by eating the wrong stuff when I'm working on getting in shape and dropping a few pounds.

What are some relatively easy, low fat/calorie/etc. snack items that work to fill you up?

It would be nice of some of them actually tasted good and didn't suck too.

Fruit
    Raw veggies with reduced fat dip
    94% fat free microwave popcorn
    nf yogurt
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Stuff that I love:

1. pieces of fresh fruit....a banana, an orange or some tangerines, strawberries, blueberries.

2. Yogurt...mix in fresh fruit

3. A couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. Mix in a banana, some nuts, blueberries

4. A string cheese

5. A couple of hard boiled eggs

Avoid candy, soda, cookies, donuts, trips to starbucks, and the phony diet stuff like fruit smoothies, which are major calorie bombs.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Drink water.

It will have you walking more (to the bathroom), so it is a win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
          Drink water.

It will have you walking more (to the bathroom), so it is a win-win.
          Can I really take healthy diet advice from a guy with "beefy" in his name?

Actually - the water isn't a bad idea. I have been drinking more water but it only goes so far. At some point my stomach wants something in it that will last more than 15 minutes.

Comment

Diet soda
            Beef Jerky
            Rice Cakes
            Apples

Jerky is kind of expensive, as my wife keeps reminding me.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

3. A couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. Mix in a banana, some nuts, blueberries
              Dude, that's a calorie bomb right there. My peanut butter is 180 cals per two tablespoons.

Comment

My wife bought a big bag of Apple-Cinnamon granola from Costco (I think its Bear Naked brand). I take straight yogurt and mix that in then dip a banana in it. In the words of Dora "DELICIOSO!"
                *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  Dude, that's a calorie bomb right there. My peanut butter is 180 cals per two tablespoons.
                  peanut butter is great when you are working out/lifting. Calories are not the enemy. Excessive calories without exercise are the enemy.

sigpic

Comment

peanut butter is great when you are working out/lifting. Calories are not the enemy. Excessive calories without exercise are the enemy.
                    I can think of forty foods that give you that much protein with fewer calories and fat, lifting or now.

It's all about numbers. I don't care how much you exercise if your calorie intake is more than the calories burned. And as a snack (which I think was the original question)? Not a good way to keep the calories down. Cf a full serving of jerky (80 calories) or an apple (80).

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      I can think of forty foods that give you that much protein with fewer calories and fat, lifting or now.

It's all about numbers. I don't care how much you exercise if your calorie intake is more than the calories burned. And as a snack (which I think was the original question)? Not a good way to keep the calories down. Cf a full serving of jerky (80 calories) or an apple (80).
                      then why do you own any peanut butter at all if it is all about the numbers?

sigpic

Comment

then why do you own any peanut butter at all if it is all about the numbers?
                        Because the kids and wife eat it.

Comment

Peanut butter is one of the greatest foods ever invented and the world is a better place because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                            Peanut butter is one of the greatest foods ever invented and the world is a better place because of it.
                            It is too bad that no fitness, muscle, or training mags and articles agree with you.

sigpic

Comment

It is too bad that no fitness, muscle, or training mags and articles agree with you.
                              There's more to life than fitness, muscle and training.

Comment

Working...
                              X