Kip Litton: Marathon Fraud?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Omaha 680
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 11184

    #1

    Kip Litton: Marathon Fraud?

    I didn't know whether to put this in the Gym or the water cooler or if it had been posted. Pretty long read, but I found it fascinating. I really wonder how he did it. And I wonder what drives someone to create an alternate universe like this and then defend it even when it comes crashing down.

  • scottie
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #2
    I enjoyed reading that, well, until the end.

    Spoiler for Article Spoiler:
    There's no freaking pay-off -- the author never discovered how Kip Litton cheated.

    Comment

    • Lost Student
      BAND!
      • Nov 2008
      • 4324

      #3
      Wow, that guy is nuts. I liked the article.

      Originally posted by scottie View Post
      I enjoyed reading that, well, until the end.

      Spoiler for Article Spoiler:
      There's no freaking pay-off -- the author never discovered how Kip Litton cheated.
      Spoiler for spoiler:
      Yeah, I was thinking as I read that the journalist or maybe the first guy who noticed something fishy should have tried to follow and film Litton at a race and them out him as a cheater.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #4
        Someone posted that article in another thread. I really enjoyed it. Kip though is something else. I don't get his motivation.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • DU Ute
          RIP CUF
          • Dec 2008
          • 7393

          #5
          Kip sounds like he should be fielding questions from the media down at BYU.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

          Comment

          • Art Vandelay
            Striving for mediocrity
            • Jul 2009
            • 10516

            #6
            thanks for posting this. A very interesting read.

            Comment

            • SteelBlue
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 8190

              #7
              What a fascinating read. If you haven't taken the time, it's worth your while.

              Comment

              • UteStar
                Sexiest Poster in Town
                • Nov 2008
                • 2419

                #8
                That was a terrifically strange read. Seriously, I can't figure out why this guy would do all that he has done. His excuses are so bad, but he tries to be so convincing. It is always something different - got lost on the course, misplaced my regular shoes, etc. I love the part of creating his own marathon with a race director, no spectators (there were supposed to be a lot of volunteers, but not one showed up). Strange stuff and a great read.

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #9
                  That was a very unsatisfying read because I want to know how he did it.
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • lambdacoug
                    Junior Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 3981

                    #10
                    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    That was a very unsatisfying read because I want to know how he did it.
                    Starting up your own quest to run a marathon in all 50 states, huh?
                    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                    - Howard Aiken

                    Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #11
                      Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                      Starting up your own quest to run a marathon in all 50 states, huh?
                      Dude, I haven't run since the 90's. But I have run a marathon on Bootleg, Foundation, Resistance, Lockdown, Hardhat, and Terminal. The game told me so.
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • Katy Lied
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 9435

                        #12
                        Read that Kip was suspended for one semester in dental school for cheating.

                        No matter how much he looks guilty, and is castigated and flayed by the running community, how come they can't explain how he did it? He's not an electronic genius. How did he keep hitting those chip mats? Are they thinking he rode his bicycle along the path? How could he do this and not have anyone notice?

                        I'd like Uncle Ted to speculate.

                        Comment

                        • smokymountainrain
                          Impressive Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22593

                          #13
                          Fascinating.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

                          Comment

                          • Coach McGuirk
                            1
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12109

                            #14
                            When I read this in the other thread, the only thing I kept coming back to is he put in way more effort not running marathons than if he had just decided to run them.

                            Comment

                            • CardiacCoug
                              вот так штука
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 11013

                              #15
                              Interesting read.

                              I bet he had accomplices and found shortcuts. That wouldn't be possible for a lot of races (isn't Boston pretty much a straight line?) but it sounds like he usually just hid his tag and blended in with the crowd and then left the race course and took shorter routes, probably got rides or jumped on a bike. But yeah it would take a lot of scouting and homework to hit all the chip mats. Crazy.

                              Comment

                              Working...